DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 22:28 Quote
I really should weigh my Yeti DJ and see what it weighs.. I'll bet it's competitive if I were to pull the front brake off..

Also... I found a replacement frame for my M1.. I bought a V2 V10 that had some rough parts on it. But I paid $400 for the complete bike. Frame is actually pretty straight and decent shape. If I can sell off the old bomber and other parts for 200 after a rebuild, then I scored a decent frame for my M1 build.

I have it all stripped down to do a full overhaul of it and I am considering having it powder coated. It's blue anodized right, but I really liked the yellow M1.. Not to mention I have a complete retro fox Yellow moto kit that goes with a yellow bike. Plus my wheels I am going to put on there have 1/4th of the spokes yellow from the M1.

It's not going to be as cool as the M1, but should be fun for another 6 months until I break this frame..

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 1:07 Quote
Sooooo...You want to spend $100 powder coating a frame that cost you (after you sell the other crap) around $200. Let me say that a different way. That's half the cost of your initial investment....and you only plan on getting six months of use....

Have you considered a rattle can finish?

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 2:15 Quote
E-peen > wallet

Mod
Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 2:53 Quote
Powder coat = only 100? Cheap

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 3:43 Quote
What it cost me to do it last time. 4 years ago in Canada.

Expensive part would be stripping it, then prepping all the faces post powder coat. If you couldn't do it yourself.

Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 4:55 Quote
Maybe he can get a bro deal. I used to help out at a sort of charity bike shop and could have got a frame stripped and coated for £30/$50cad through them.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2017 at 7:39 Quote
Eh.. Part of the fun of these old DH bikes is cleaning them up and making them look good again. I'll track down (or make them if I have to) a set of decals for it and do a bearing rebuild and then slap my nice build kit into it.

We have a local powder coat company that will prep and everything for under $100.. I clean surfaces everything afterwords myself too. It's no biggie.

And 6 months was all I got out of the M1.. I wouldn't mind if I got more life out of this frame.. My M1 had been beat on pretty hard before I got it, and I didn't do it any favors.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 17:52 Quote
Anyone know the stack height on a Hope Enduro stem?

Also, cassette is on the wheel. Damn that thing is slick.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 17:58 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Anyone know the stack height on a Hope Enduro stem?

Also, cassette is on the wheel. Damn that thing is slick.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-AM-Stem-Instructions-02.pdf
There you have

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
Loverly.

Rev is cut a little short. May have to get creative.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 2:15 Quote
Hope cassette? Let me know how it shifts. I've never had the chance to play with one. But a few guys in town have mentioned they had them and they shifted like gahbage. Bought never brought it in for me to play with. So I'm unable to verify.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 4:15 Quote
Mine shifted fine.

The wear was a bit ridiculous though, it basically melted through winter.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 5:46 Quote
If i had to guess id assume aluminum and low grade billet steel don't have a very high surface haredness compared to a forged one like shimano ect.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
Mine took a couple rides to "wear in" and then was butter. I've sold 20 or so and had no issues. Love them!

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 14:59 Quote
dingus wrote:
E-peen > wallet

Basically this... Is the anno blue cooler or should I powder coat it to match my vintage pajama suit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.053617
Mobile Version of Website