DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 4:17 Quote
Within one year I broke two composite pedals. One electron and one horizon. Never had problems with a pedal made out of metal. No more plastic pedals for me.

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 5:46 Quote
DMR Vaults.

That is all.

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 20:13 Quote
fredro wrote:
DMR Vaults.

That is all.
not a fan of those pedals, they're really thin around the pins and when you hit them it bends the pedal body rather than the pin rendering them useless when you want to replace them.

It happened a bunch on the set my friend ran for 3 months. I can take pics if you don't believe me.

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
I believe you, so far mine have been flawless.

Knocks on wood...

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 at 20:56 Quote
I feel like I always get my moneys worth out of DMR pedals before they fail, last pair I bent I gave away to a friend who kept using them happily.

Worst is ripping a pin out of a magnesium set and it takes a chunk of the body with it.

That said, I just bid on a set of mags Dead Horse

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 0:38 Quote
either must be luck (or lack of) or something, my vaults are 5 years old, ive ovalised the hole where the bushing sits, snapped an axle, bent pins and generally beat the shit out of them and theyre still going strong. bit of play in the bushing if you give it a shake but not noticeable on the bike. ive still got the pieces of a shattered superstar pedal from mistiming a rotation timing and whacking it into a large chunk of rock.

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 7:23 Quote
You know what pedals have treated me best of all?

My XTR Trails..

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 8:07 Quote
I like my M530's. They work, they're not expensive, and I probably couldn't tell he difference between them and XT/XTR.
Besides, they're so cheap it's almost cost-effective to buy new pedals when you need new cleats.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 8:17 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
either must be luck (or lack of) or something, my vaults are 5 years old, ive ovalised the hole where the bushing sits, snapped an axle, bent pins and generally beat the shit out of them and theyre still going strong. bit of play in the bushing if you give it a shake but not noticeable on the bike. ive still got the pieces of a shattered superstar pedal from mistiming a rotation timing and whacking it into a large chunk of rock.

How is that going strong? Axle snapped, ovalised hole....sounds like they’re kind of clapped.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
Circe wrote:

How is that going strong? Axle snapped, ovalised hole....sounds like they’re kind of clapped.

the longest any other pedal has lasted is about 2 months, im a clumsy pedaller and pretty hefty, the ovalisation was when i snapped the axle and tried to make it home with it just wedged on the stub. didnt go well. and 1 snapped and easily replaced axle in 5 years is really f*cking good going by my previous records, once went through 7 atom lab axles in 5 weeks. literally broke dozens of pedals before getting vaults, only reason im on a second set is because the bike the originals were on got nicked.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
Circe wrote:

the longest any other pedal has lasted is about 2 months, im a clumsy pedaller and pretty hefty, the ovalisation was when i snapped the axle and tried to make it home with it just wedged on the stub. didnt go well. and 1 snapped and easily replaced axle in 5 years is really f*cking good going by my previous records, once went through 7 atom lab axles in 5 weeks. literally broke dozens of pedals before getting vaults, only reason im on a second set is because the bike the originals were on got nicked.

Well , that it a nice story bro. Actually not-expected to hear such rider`s feedback, smashed so many pedals... Smashing forks, shocks and frame, this is something i expect to hear, but breaking all those pedals and their axles, maaan- i can imagine how much your suspension is being slammed, haha Smile But, you are riding flats and they are more prone to durability issues compared to SPD platform which i am with- never had any sort of issues with them.(Shimano M524).

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
My pedals are bomb proof tbf, XT trails that look battered as f*ck but are smooth as the day I got them and a pair of dmr v8s I got when I must have been about 13 and have been taken apart once seen then

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
zixs wrote:
Circe wrote:

Well , that it a nice story bro. Actually not-expected to hear such rider`s feedback, smashed so many pedals... Smashing forks, shocks and frame, this is something i expect to hear, but breaking all those pedals and their axles, maaan- i can imagine how much your suspension is being slammed, haha Smile But, you are riding flats and they are more prone to durability issues compared to SPD platform which i am with- never had any sort of issues with them.(Shimano M524).

4 frames cracked or snapped, 3 forks blown or twisted, many rear wheels battered, bent cranks, bent chainrings, bent and snapped bars, wheel axles, seats, hell ive even broke seatposts, nothings immune to the abuse, its just seemed pedals have always been the weakest link untill getting vaults, and even then not flawless. As for spds, good luck finding some that fit me and arent disco slipper sidis, im a uk size 16 (us 17, eu53 or 54, cant remember which). shimanos largest are a 52 eur with wide fitting and are too small.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 15:46 Quote
Atom lab pedals truly suck. I don't break much stuff ... hairline cracked the chainstay of a 2000 Enduro from riding highland, slightly bent some holzfeller cranks on a dirt jump bike (meanwhile, I've been on the same pair of deore cranks for probably 4,000 miles of everything from touring and dirt jumping to dh and bike parks). Only other things worn out are a couplea stems that became creaky, a rear hub, and a few replaced crankBros ultra small bearing lowest stack height ever produced headsets. But I went through 3 pairs of atom lab pedals over the course of 1 year. Broken pedal bodies, bearings that wore oit after only a few months, spindle bolts that sheared after backing out due to backwards riding (and having the spindles not being available anymore). They change there pedals so often that you can never get spare parts, they aren't durable, or grippy and they are expensive (I guess the air corps felt great before the spindie incident). What got me was that when they offered me pro deal on their new pedal at the time (also no longer made), it was still cheaper to get deity compounds, which literally lasted 5x as long as a set of a-lab pedals, without any servicing whatsoever. I mean, I'm running the same f630 rims that I learned to jump on, but those pedals sure didn't last.

Posted: Oct 9, 2017 at 20:55 Quote
zixs wrote:

4 frames cracked or snapped, 3 forks blown or twisted, many rear wheels battered, bent cranks, bent chainrings, bent and snapped bars, wheel axles, seats, hell ive even broke seatposts, nothings immune to the abuse, its just seemed pedals have always been the weakest link untill getting vaults, and even then not flawless. As for spds, good luck finding some that fit me and arent disco slipper sidis, im a uk size 16 (us 17, eu53 or 54, cant remember which). shimanos largest are a 52 eur with wide fitting and are too small.

Fatty!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.039226
Mobile Version of Website