DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 10:59 Quote
As much as this is the weight game thread, is there a point? Sub 22 pounds is pretty stupid light for a full suspension 4X bike with gears and everything.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:06 Quote
To win the weight game? Plus I bet the bike shop is slow up there like here so what else we going to do? Clean?

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:17 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
As much as this is the weight game thread, is there a point? Sub 22 pounds is pretty stupid light for a full suspension 4X bike with gears and everything.

Ideally I'd like it to be lighter than my gravel bike, I'm pretty close.

In all seriousness it rode pretty well with my initial build at 25 and change, since then I've dropped a bunch of weight, put on suspension that actually works, and some nice tires and it's a little monster on trails now. I'd like to push it a little farther and see how it handles at, say, 20.9 pounds.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:39 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
To win the weight game? Plus I bet the bike shop is slow up there like here so what else we going to do? Clean?
Bricks and mortar shops still exist?

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 11:59 Quote
the chromag BZA is 180g if IIRC

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:00 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

We're still holding on!!

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
Carbon railed seat and carbon post or an i-beam, theyre quite light iirc? Is your steerer cut flush? dura ace cassettes are silly light. that's all i can bring to mind really

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
Take every fourth spoke out. Get rid of all spacers. Cut steerer like crazy. Remove top cap once you have tightened the stem, then cut your bars to 230mm. Cut off excess parts of your brake levers.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
morewhitenoise wrote:
whattheheel wrote:

Yeah, believe or not but not everyone is able to work on their own bikes, and there's more out there than high end recreational riders.

CR you needa bring that up north sometime. I got some tracks I think it should see.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 13:32 Quote
Yeah think if we somehow both get the same day off and it's a nice day it'll be a GO ting and I'll come ride those tracks. The bike is just silly good in the Don Valley.

MattGreenwood wrote:
Carbon railed seat and carbon post or an i-beam, theyre quite light iirc? Is your steerer cut flush? dura ace cassettes are silly light. that's all i can bring to mind really

The steerer has some extra for now, once I settle on a 35mm stem I'll cut it to slammed + 5mm.

Carbon post would probably drop some weight, but my seatpost says THC where I've got it clamped in the frame and the daily giggle that gives is probably worth the weight. There's also something about the Thomson post and Selle SLR saddle that just fits the mid-00s race vibe I'm going for. If I see another seat/post that I really fall in love with though, that'll probably change.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
We're closed every Monday, and given the season I can always miss a shift and get someone to pick it up. Hyper interested in trying it out.

Drilled rims? Foam grips? ESI chunky feel good and are pretty welter weight. How skimpy are your bar ends? Still got paint on everything?

Also think you may be better off sticking to 31.8. So many light options out there for bars and stems. Megaforce 2 stem is a very good weight, very good price, and comes with ti hardwear stock. I've found most 35 bars to be pretty stiff.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 14:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:
We're closed every Monday, and given the season I can always miss a shift and get someone to pick it up. Hyper interested in trying it out.

Drilled rims? Foam grips? ESI chunky feel good and are pretty welter weight. How skimpy are your bar ends? Still got paint on everything?

Also think you may be better off sticking to 31.8. So many light options out there for bars and stems. Megaforce 2 stem is a very good weight, very good price, and comes with ti hardwear stock. I've found most 35 bars to be pretty stiff.

The rims were claimed at 410g, somehow came in at 374g. I was pretty happy, but I'm not sure I want to push it any further. The Renthal Kevlar grips are quite light at 60g for the pair so even ESI Chunkys won't save me anything there. I think the Animal bar ends are about 20g for the pair, but again I'm not sure there's anything substantially lighter out there, that can handle more than one crash.

That Megaforce 2 is actually a lot cheaper than I thought, thanks for encouraging the second look there. Pairing it with a 31.8mm SixC would be pretty cool.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
Chris, that's heavy af

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Tune is 90g or something like that

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.034128
Mobile Version of Website