DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I could not ride a Shout unless it was a huge leap in performance... even if it was a little better than every other fork on the market, it's A LOT uglier.

Agree.. It looks like someone cased a jump so bad that it folded the steerer and head tube, that huge gap between fork and down tube bugs me.. Then having the wheel move with the rest of the fork stationary while you're riding plays mind tricks on me..

Kudos to them for doing something new, but it ain't my gig.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
Besides the new 2020 Specialized Demo, which DH bikes are using boost 148 spacing?

Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 23:22 Quote
So, I need to build a new wheel for my dirt jumper. Long story short, would I be crazy to use some left over Sapim bladed spokes for this? I know they're hard to build width. Any other reasons why this is dumb? My rear wheel is not double bladed, so that won't match...But free is free.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 0:05 Quote
You can die. Definitely don’t do it.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 7:16 Quote
Circe wrote:
So, I need to build a new wheel for my dirt jumper. Long story short, would I be crazy to use some left over Sapim bladed spokes for this? I know they're hard to build width. Any other reasons why this is dumb? My rear wheel is not double bladed, so that won't match...But free is free.

I recall RMR saying something about bladed spokes being susceptible to cracks from stress risers from shit hitting the edge. If you're strictly riding DJ and pumptracks and other dirt stuff, this will probably never happen. I'd giver. Nice spokes are expensive.

On my most recent DJ wheelbuild I went with Sapim Lasers, because riding concrete I scrape and bend spokes fairly frequently so wanted to avoid what RMR was talking about. So far so good.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
Circe wrote:

So so this is going to be a front wheel?

You're like 100lbs. Build it and ride it. I'd give you a .0005% chance of death from bladed spokes on your front wheel.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
Plus or minus 60 lbs...I hide it well. This would be dirt only. Should be fine.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
Circe wrote:
Plus or minus 60 lbs...I hide it well. This would be dirt only. Should be fine.

Apparently I do too.. 225 on the scale now and people still think I'm 190. So that's good I guess?

And yeah I'd definitely send it on that wheel, I am sure you would be just fine.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
fredro wrote:
You can die. Definitely don’t do it.

Wait, what?

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
We're all dying fam.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
sherbet wrote:
We're all dying fam.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
fredro wrote:
sherbet wrote:
We're all dying fam.
Little bit every day

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 15:00 Quote
Just be wary of cross winds.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 2:24 Quote
More resistance doing 360s too.

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 6:24 Quote
Late to the party but high quality bladed spokes like CX Ray or Aerolite are awesome except for being expensive.

One of my favorite manufacturing fun facts is how DT Swiss had to set up a new facility since the surprisingly huge machines they use to make the bladed section on the Aerolites were eating through the floor. Says something about what goes into producing them.

Anyway, new "World's Lightest Downhill Bike" project starting real soon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015377
Mobile Version of Website