Going up a hill?

• Previous Page
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
Which is Easier-200lb rider 20lb bike? or 180lb rider, 40lb bike?
I know what I think, but how about y'all?
An oldy but a goody!!!

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 16:55 Quote
Up a hill? Why the hell would you do that?

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 17:01 Quote
The 20 pound bike because its gunna be far more pedal friendly. Its also gunna be from a way different catagory then the 40 pound bike.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
Assuming the bikes are identical in gearing etc. that said I think it's easier to pedal a light bike and be heavier than the other way around.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
briogio wrote:
Assuming the bikes are identical in gearing etc. that said I think it's easier to pedal a light bike and be heavier than the other way around.

Assuming there identical Id lose the 20 pounds, but to have identical bikes with a 20 pound differece isnt logical.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 17:12 Quote
20lb bike. Less Rotational Weight.

the 20lb could theoretically be tubing type or thickness

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
All I'm asking is whether 20lbs on the rider or on the bike, both adding up to 220lbs, going up a hill, which is easier and why?

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
The physicists answer(and believe me, I am not a physicist)

The total weight is the same in both cases, and thus would require the same amount of work/power to climb "x" units of elevation gain.However, the bike has no ability to generate any power, unlike the rider.
Can I be as bold to assume your question would be based on the premise that a heavier rider would be able to generate more power than a lighter rider(definately not always the case as fat and muscle both have mass, but fat does not generate any power to drive the bike), in which case, the light bike is easier.

Now i'm going to lie down.
TC

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 22:39 Quote
This is an extremely easy question/answer.

First of all, the whole idea depends on the rider and the bike. If it is the same person who puts on 20 lbs of muscle and loses 20lbs on their bike that person would obviously be more effecient.

If the 180 lb rider was 6'2" and lean and the 200 lb rider was 5' I'd bet the leaner guy could huck a bigger rig just because he is in better shape, assuming the 5' guy isn't all muscle.

It 100% depends on the rider and the variables. Either way if both the people are athletic, the lighter bike will go up easier.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
briogio wrote:
Which is Easier-200lb rider 20lb bike? or 180lb rider, 40lb bike?
I know what I think, but how about y'all?
An oldy but a goody!!!

and now mr stats comes to play. lets look at 2 ratios here

rider weight
20lb difference in body wieght is 20/180 = 11.1% increase. so not much difference to have to deal with

bike weight
20lb difference in bike is 20/20 = 100% increase. which you are gonna feel.

so my responce is 200lb rider on 20lb bike will be 'easier'
plus i'm 200lb myself....

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 20:49 Quote
briogio wrote:
All I'm asking is whether 20lbs on the rider or on the bike, both adding up to 220lbs, going up a hill, which is easier and why?

It will come down to the wheelset it you ask me. The less rotating mass on the wheels, the easier they will spin up and then easier the climb will be. Rotational mass factors pretty close to 3:1 as I understand it so for climbs, you want the weight anywhere but the wheels....

My bike is about 35lbs and I pedal the damn thing up anything. The 819s spin nicely and seem to make the climb easier than the Ryno XLs I used to run. That said, I could get up most hills with the RLs also but it took a lot more work (the difference in wheel weight is only maybe a pound).

HTH

A.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 20:01 Quote
what shape are the riders in?

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
maunders666 wrote:
what shape are the riders in?

I think the 'riders' are identical physically and we're discussing hypotheticals vs physics of weight distribution and rotating mass on the bike itself vs extra weight on the rider.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 21:11 Quote
but what if the weight on the rider is in his legs..... o.0

Posted: Jul 17, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
Well I'm 225lbs now and my bike is 22 lbs and I can rip up a hill faster than some dudes at 160lbs...I use to be 180 and had a DH bike and I could still climb but, man it was so much harder...the geometry of the frame makes a huge difference

www.beapartof.com

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010754
Mobile Version of Website