What do pro's get paid?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do pro's get paid?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
i would just like to know how much do pro's get paid by sponsers and how much money is won in a competition

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
not very much. there is very few pro mountain bikers who can live off of what they make from racing/competing. most have some kind of job (usually something too do with biking). it isn't like baseball where you get payed 47 million to hit a few balls.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
kodyako0 wrote:
i would just like to know how much do pro's get paid by sponsers and how much money is won in a competition

Thats like saying how long is a peace of string.

Posted: Jun 20, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
kodyako0 wrote:

I heard a world champion can command 300,000.00 a year and some races pay 15,000.00 and that doesn't include all their endorsements

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
one of the biggest names in freeride is the Cadbury Chocolate sales rep for vancouver area. Most don't make that much money and if they do its not from racing its from other sponsorship deals like glasses, clothing. Most just get thier race expenses paid for.

Pro road cyclists can make a lot of money but thats a much much larger sport.

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:36 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
one of the biggest names in freeride is the Cadbury Chocolate sales rep for vancouver area. Most don't make that much money and if they do its not from racing its from other sponsorship deals like glasses, clothing. Most just get thier race expenses paid for.

Pro road cyclists can make a lot of money but thats a much much larger sport.
...And you need a large paycheque to afford all that lovely nose-candy.
(Cough, Boonen, cough)

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
If you want to be a pro rider
you really don't do it for the money i.m.o.

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
norcorider540 wrote:

Well said , love of a sport ... maybe i'd want the bike tho Razz

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
DH-Til-I-Die wrote:
norcorider540 wrote:

Well said , love of a sport ... maybe i'd want the bike tho Razz

aha thanks
but like honestly
id love to do it for a couple years

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
to answer the question - not much Frown

especially at the moment, in the current economic recession, where companies are looking to cut their marketing costs

for every guy like Steve Peat or Sam Hill, there are 100 guys who are making diddly squat, literally scraping by from race to race, working a retail / warehouse / construction job in the "off" season, saving for the racing or riding season

if you get a bike, expenses and some photo opportunity money, you are actually doing ok, I have been in this situation with my sponsors and it was pretty cool

if you get a small salary (US $20,000 a year) you are doing very well

to get the big bucks is rare, and involves multiple sponsors, and / or corporate sponsors (a cell phone or automotive sponsor) and lots of exposure, taking every opportunity to get in bike mags, on TV, in adverts, movie clips, newspaper articles, attending training camps for groms, etc.

bike companies really don't have alot of money, its only the biggest players like Specialized, Kona, Giant, Trek that can pay their pro riders good "livable" salaries

riding for a "cool" company doesn't mean you are going to get paid

pro riders have a short shelf life, as trends change, and injuries stack up, and younger, hungrier (and cheaper to hire) riders come up through the ranks

a while back, I realised I was better off with a profession than trying to make a living from riding bikes, now I just ride for fun and any "free" equipment I get from my sponsors is seen as a bonus

this is what I do to make my living

this is what I do for fun

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
Its sad but true many pro/sponsored riders make no money from riding, ans to be honest, working for a good shop that offers its employees pro deals is just like having a grass roots deal, Every time I am out riding and the groms ask if I am sponsored I say yes by SGM Racing, even though I am nothing more than a bike mechanic that loves to ride

EDIT
SGM are my initials

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 at 11:40 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
snip

ehh this may be true for freeriders what dont get much exposure but top 10 riders in the world cup circuit make a real nice living for themselves

but obviously its hard work to be a top 10 rider, you can get the results you'll get the paycheck, getting a energy drink sponsor like monster/redbull/rockstar can net around 20-30k a year for just running one of their helmets

then you get paychecks from the bike company if youre racing well which varies so much between companies and will depend on how you get the bikes, they're not going to give you free bikes and a bulky paycheck..

then all the component sponsors what pay out when you win or get a good result (same with bikes)

all this racks up and im sure some of the heavy hitters in the world cup circuit are probably on around 100-200k a year for sure..

people who dont have results (out of the top 20, not a huge list of sponsors) arent gonna get shit and they're going to be paying their way around the races too..

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 4:02 Quote
but top 10 riders in the world cup circuit make a real nice living for themselves

but obviously its hard work to be a top 10 rider, you can get the results you'll get the paycheck, getting a energy drink sponsor like monster/redbull/rockstar can net around 20-30k a year for just running one of their helmets

the top racing guys are making money, but for every 10 top riders, there are 100 guys making next to nothing, and having to work for a living

climbing up that ladder to become a top 10 rider is very tough, and many riders end up dropping out due to the pressures of trying to make a living

energy drink sponsors only pay the top guys, most of the guys I know in BMX and MTB who "ride" for Rockstar or Monster get free drinks and some expenses, but no money...

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 9:07 Quote
for sure, but how many people would you class on the world cup circuit 'pro' ? when i think of a pro i think people who regular get top 30, i dont think of the 100s of people who try hard but not hard enough..

i can race world cups but i wouldnt class myself as pro or anywhere near it..

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
stryke wrote:
for sure, but how many people would you class on the world cup circuit 'pro' ? when i think of a pro i think people who regular get top 30, i dont think of the 100s of people who try hard but not hard enough..

i can race world cups but i wouldnt class myself as pro or anywhere near it..
You are a dro as soon as you get payed to do something, even if that pay is didly sqwat

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009233
Mobile Version of Website