What do pro's get paid?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do pro's get paid?
Posted: Jul 17, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
i totally agree you've got guys like Darren Berrecloth who imo have quite the house and "other" toys for being a biker
hampsteadbandit wrote:
to answer the question - not much Frown

especially at the moment, in the current economic recession, where companies are looking to cut their marketing costs

for every guy like Steve Peat or Sam Hill, there are 100 guys who are making diddly squat, literally scraping by from race to race, working a retail / warehouse / construction job in the "off" season, saving for the racing or riding season

if you get a bike, expenses and some photo opportunity money, you are actually doing ok, I have been in this situation with my sponsors and it was pretty cool

if you get a small salary (US $20,000 a year) you are doing very well

to get the big bucks is rare, and involves multiple sponsors, and / or corporate sponsors (a cell phone or automotive sponsor) and lots of exposure, taking every opportunity to get in bike mags, on TV, in adverts, movie clips, newspaper articles, attending training camps for groms, etc.

bike companies really don't have alot of money, its only the biggest players like Specialized, Kona, Giant, Trek that can pay their pro riders good "livable" salaries

riding for a "cool" company doesn't mean you are going to get paid

pro riders have a short shelf life, as trends change, and injuries stack up, and younger, hungrier (and cheaper to hire) riders come up through the ranks

a while back, I realised I was better off with a profession than trying to make a living from riding bikes, now I just ride for fun and any "free" equipment I get from my sponsors is seen as a bonus

this is what I do to make my living

this is what I do for fun

Posted: Jul 17, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
iambike4lyf wrote:
strange how a football player is worth like £50mill in some cases and will be making millions each year
whereas a real sport like dh makes nothing like that and only the top riders make anything at all
and footballs just gay as f*ck
How are you saying football isn't a real sport and biking is? they're both sports and they're both nearly equaly as hard in their own ways. Football players get payed alot more because their are tons of fans, millions upon millions, where as biking has maybe 1/10 of fans compared to football. Really ignorant comment, go out and play some team sports and learn.

Posted: Jul 17, 2009 at 19:56 Quote
jimap123 wrote:
They must earn quite alot. Have you seen Gracia's crib?

He's done a lot to parlay his money in business too.

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
a read I great interview with Gracia where he talked about his "off season" work which is running a car dealership, he has property too

guys like Steve Peat and Rob Warner were smart in investing their earnings in property, it is alleged that Rob Warner owns so many properties that he is a commercial landlord as well as making money commentating on the Red Bull X-Fighters FMX series, and other presenting gigs

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/maribor-world-cup-prize-money/

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
whats fun for then about sponsor is they have what they want for free from the compagnie sponsor,so they dont have to spent money on that

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 17:24 Quote
If you're thinking about getting an amateur sponsorship, they don't pay jack shit. I'm sponsored by Troy Lee and the privelages I get are free protective wear (excluding helmet).

But yeah like everyone else has said, If you're an elite pro you won't get all that much, you still need a job.

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 18:16 Quote
jimap123 wrote:
They must earn quite alot. Have you seen Gracia's crib?
yea i watched a vid on here of it its got a dam elevator Eek

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
not all corporatio that have millions of fans put out the same pay tho.there was a thing awhile back were the hockey and foot ball and sports like that they spent 55%of theyre income on payment to playes.the ufc only puts out 5% about the same fan numbers to.and if you arent the featured fight you get didle squat.without any benfits or healthcare.

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 18:28 Quote
If I was sponsored I wouldn't really care about money! It would be awesome without a monthly pay cause you get tons of money in bikes and other stuff, you get to travel around the world for competitions, and do what you love! Plus if you were sponsored by norco ora big company you wouldn't even have to ask they would give you $7,000 specced pout with the best parts norco's sponsors offer and tell you to go enter a race! That sounds pretty danm awesome to me and you may have an opportunity to design and test your own fricken bike!

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 18:43 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
iambike4lyf wrote:
strange how a football player is worth like £50mill in some cases and will be making millions each year
whereas a real sport like dh makes nothing like that and only the top riders make anything at all
How are you saying football isn't a real sport and biking is? they're both sports and they're both nearly equaly as hard in their own ways. Football players get payed alot more because their are tons of fans, millions upon millions, where as biking has maybe 1/10 of fans compared to football. Really ignorant comment, go out and play some team sports and learn.
i used to play football, and its really just about size and strength. very little skill involved.

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
Yeah Darren Berrecloth's house was on cribs, looked pretty nice, he had some nice dj's goin on with some wooden stuff, also a good sized shop and house.

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:
iambike4lyf wrote:
i used to play football, and its really just about size and strength. very little skill involved.
are we talking about american football or soccer...because in soccer for every david beckham earning insane amounts of money there are hundreds of thousands of players playing in lower legues or amaetur leagues earning very little or no money

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
gee atherton gets paid in peanuts.

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 22:15 Quote
identiti-dave wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:
are we talking about american football or soccer...because in soccer for every david beckham earning insane amounts of money there are hundreds of thousands of players playing in lower legues or amaetur leagues earning very little or no money
Talking about american football, and if you're saying size and strength was the ONLY THING, you clearly weren't very dedicated to football. Size and strength plays alot in almost every sport (almost) to be sucsessful in football you've got to have tons and tons of experience. It's somewhat true, football requiers less skill than other sports and more strength but it still requires lots of skill. As for soccer, it's the world's most common sport, like it's been stated in this thread, the more publicity for the sport the more money is thrown around for fans going to games and such so you can afford to pay players alot more. Beckham is a great soccer player (or was) but he might be getting a bit much, but if you're him, you would take it too Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019535
Mobile Version of Website