Marin Quake 7.9 2009 Is it the right bike?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Marin Quake 7.9 2009 Is it the right bike?
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 10:10 Quote
Check out the video on PB home page of the new Quake. 180mm of travel and a 64.5 degree headtube. No need for the 8" link now just get a new one.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 14:55 Quote
bigheaddoug wrote:
Check out the video on PB home page of the new Quake. 180mm of travel and a 64.5 degree headtube. No need for the 8" link now just get a new one.

180mm is still 7.08"
If Marin designed the link I dont want to start making a bunch and distributing them. I was hoping Shaums would get back to me about who designed them. I can easily take it off this winter and get some built if its ok with him.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
i love the way my Quake 7.9 rides but my rear tire is hitting the frame at the seat tube when it bottoms out. its has the full stock seat up too.
has anyone had this problem with there 7.9?

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 15:57 Quote
Lacosse6 wrote:
i love the way my Quake 7.9 rides but my rear tire is hitting the frame at the seat tube when it bottoms out. its has the full stock seat up too.

no i havent but im running the 8" link. how are u landing?

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 15:59 Quote
Marin did not design the link and I strongly suggest you don't ride it as it will mess up the geo and travel path and screw up the whole effectiveness of the quad-link system. Stick with the stock links dial your shock right and go rip it.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 16:07 Quote
scrider wrote:
Marin did not design the link and I strongly suggest you don't ride it as it will mess up the geo and travel path and screw up the whole effectiveness of the quad-link system. Stick with the stock links dial your shock right and go rip it.

i got mine stright from Steve Glazer at Marin U.S. He's a product designer.

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 16:16 Quote
The engineering behind the link was initially made by an engineer related to the Marin Quebec team and then forwarded to Marin headquarters since they wanted info on it but was never really released to the public since it was not a significant upgrade and did change alot the geo (raising the bb by over an inch and steepening the head angle up to a scary 69). anyway all in all it was not a success and the links never made it to full productions

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 at 2:24 Quote
Lacosse6 wrote:

What frame size? and more importantly,do you have your seat slammed? As that will probably be the cause of the sound. Both of my quakes, medium and large sized, did not hit the frame, or get close, and neither do any I have seen.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 17:33 Quote
Lacosse6 wrote:

Mine did at first too, until I put the Elka on it. It doesnt now even with the 8" link.
By the way, get the Elka it makes an already great bike amazing!

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 17:36 Quote
scrider wrote:
The engineering behind the link was initially made by an engineer related to the Marin Quebec team and then forwarded to Marin headquarters since they wanted info on it but was never really released to the public since it was not a significant upgrade and did change alot the geo (raising the bb by over an inch and steepening the head angle up to a scary 69). anyway all in all it was not a success and the links never made it to full productions

Well with an 8" link, Elka stage 5 shock, and a Boxxer WC on mine it is faster than it has ever been before. It goes over the rough stuff 10 times faster than it did with the 7" link. I dunno maybe its just me but I love it. The only problem I have with it is that it pretty much ruined the great pedaling efficiency of the bike, but thats a small problem for the gains in my opinion.

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 at 21:21 Quote
Wow I can't believe this post still keeps going and yet some people still get upset that I did not review this bike with high regards the way they feel it should be. As for the comment that I ride a super 8.... no, I have several bikes, Astrix Havoc, Demo 9, and Maverick Durance. I change my bikes often, I raced years back, I'm as hardcore as every freerider dh racer here in this forum. Please no more bashing on the person for his review. Fact is that bike is not that great for DH. PERIOD. I rode that Quake both in air shock and in coil. Both with single crown and dual crown forks. Guys that state why they feel the bike is superior, thats that kind of info others want to read. Pros and cons have been stated for this frame. Guys that bash on reviewers, you better be snapping and cracking frames like I have before you even open you mouth. And no, I doubt anyone would snap the Quake, it's built tough but just doesn't ride well at all in rough DH Terrain. But because it has that stiff forward like movement in the suspension, it flows better with smoother trails. But the weight is too high at 42lbs, which puts in in freeride/ dh class. Anyways, lets not be thick headed and try to defend it just because you own it and stuck with it.

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
power2rice wrote:
Wow I can't believe this post still keeps going and yet some people still get upset that I did not review this bike with high regards the way they feel it should be. As for the comment that I ride a super 8.... no, I have several bikes, Astrix Havoc, Demo 9, and Maverick Durance. I change my bikes often, I raced years back, I'm as hardcore as every freerider dh racer here in this forum. Please no more bashing on the person for his review. Fact is that bike is not that great for DH. PERIOD. I rode that Quake both in air shock and in coil. Both with single crown and dual crown forks. Guys that state why they feel the bike is superior, thats that kind of info others want to read. Pros and cons have been stated for this frame. Guys that bash on reviewers, you better be snapping and cracking frames like I have before you even open you mouth. And no, I doubt anyone would snap the Quake, it's built tough but just doesn't ride well at all in rough DH Terrain. But because it has that stiff forward like movement in the suspension, it flows better with smoother trails. But the weight is too high at 42lbs, which puts in in freeride/ dh class. Anyways, lets not be thick headed and try to defend it just because you own it and stuck with it.

You just had to come back and bump a thread that hadn't been posted in for months? No one was even commenting on your opinions anymore, yet you post some random shit like 6 months later. No one cares that you think it's a decent performing XC bike, you're the only one in the thread that didn't like the bike for DH.

We get it, you can stop posting it. Obviously everyone else here loves the way it handles. I got the opportunity to ride a dialed session and the Marin back to back at Whistler. I rode the Marin first, and thought to myself, "wow, if this bike is so incredibly dialed, I can't wait to try the full on DH bike from Trek."

So next up, I try the Trek. yeah it was nice, but in all honesty, I felt that the Marin blew it away in all categories. The Marin felt like a small play bike on the smooth parts and was very agile, but when it got rough and technical, I felt like I was on a decked out DH rig. It just sucked up everything like it wasn't even there. The braking bumps pretty much disappeared and it makes you feel incredibly light on the actual DH stuff. Almost like you are gliding over everything rather than plowing through it.

Bottom Line: First ride on the Marin I was much faster than I was on my demo with a whole season on it prior. I almost regret not buying one this season, but it may just be the bike I look into for next season.

"Anyways, lets not be thick headed and try to defend it just because you own it and stuck with it."

You are incredibly ignorant, it's called having an opinion. You are basically saying, right there, with that one statement, that people are not allowed to like this bike. Seriously? Grow up..

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 at 22:03 Quote
Demo-250 wrote:
power2rice wrote:

You just had to come back and bump a thread that hadn't been posted in for months? No one was even commenting on your opinions anymore, yet you post some random shit like 6 months later. No one cares that you think it's a decent performing XC bike, you're the only one in the thread that didn't like the bike for DH.

We get it, you can stop posting it. Obviously everyone else here loves the way it handles. I got the opportunity to ride a dialed session and the Marin back to back at Whistler. I rode the Marin first, and thought to myself, "wow, if this bike is so incredibly dialed, I can't wait to try the full on DH bike from Trek."

So next up, I try the Trek. yeah it was nice, but in all honesty, I felt that the Marin blew it away in all categories. The Marin felt like a small play bike on the smooth parts and was very agile, but when it got rough and technical, I felt like I was on a decked out DH rig. It just sucked up everything like it wasn't even there. The braking bumps pretty much disappeared and it makes you feel incredibly light on the actual DH stuff. Almost like you are gliding over everything rather than plowing through it.

Bottom Line: First ride on the Marin I was much faster than I was on my demo with a whole season on it prior. I almost regret not buying one this season, but it may just be the bike I look into for next season.

"Anyways, lets not be thick headed and try to defend it just because you own it and stuck with it."

You are incredibly ignorant, it's called having an opinion. You are basically saying, right there, with that one statement, that people are not allowed to like this bike. Seriously? Grow up..

+1 for the sophisticated ownage Mr. Demo

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 1:16 Quote
PimpSlayer3000 wrote:
Demo-250 wrote:
power2rice wrote:
Words

More words

+1 for the sophisticated ownage Mr. Demo

Ahaha, I got tired of this guy posting random crap. "Oh look at me, I'm hardcore and none of you can comment on my review until you've broken and cracked multiple frames like me, can boil and explode an avid code on a trail where if you crash you die, or shred the trails like me and all my friends who are "hardcore as ANYONE on pinkbike"

Yeah okay bud, guess none of us know anything since we are either "too young for biking" and/or "haven't broken as many frames as your hardcore self."

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 8:27 Quote
power2rice wrote:

I have no issues with your review at all. Some people dont like things, some do, its personal opinion.

Side note I will be selling my 8" link shortly if anyone is interested. Not too sure what it is worth though. Selling because I am getting a newer Quake frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014876
Mobile Version of Website