Marin Quake 7.9 2009 Is it the right bike?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Marin Quake 7.9 2009 Is it the right bike?
Posted: Jul 30, 2010 at 13:30 Quote
EricBirk wrote:
power2rice wrote:
Wow I can't believe this post still keeps going and yet some people still get upset that I did not review this bike with high regards the way they feel it should be. As for the comment that I ride a super 8.... no, I have several bikes, Astrix Havoc, Demo 9, and Maverick Durance. I change my bikes often, I raced years back, I'm as hardcore as every freerider dh racer here in this forum. Please no more bashing on the person for his review. Fact is that bike is not that great for DH. PERIOD. I rode that Quake both in air shock and in coil. Both with single crown and dual crown forks. Guys that state why they feel the bike is superior, thats that kind of info others want to read. Pros and cons have been stated for this frame. Guys that bash on reviewers, you better be snapping and cracking frames like I have before you even open you mouth. And no, I doubt anyone would snap the Quake, it's built tough but just doesn't ride well at all in rough DH Terrain. But because it has that stiff forward like movement in the suspension, it flows better with smoother trails. But the weight is too high at 42lbs, which puts in in freeride/ dh class. Anyways, lets not be thick headed and try to defend it just because you own it and stuck with it.

I have no issues with your review at all. Some people dont like things, some do, its personal opinion.

Side note I will be selling my 8" link shortly if anyone is interested. Not too sure what it is worth though. Selling because I am getting a newer Quake frame.

I have no problem with his opinion either, I do have a problem with his attitude though. Acting like he is the only one who is allowed to have an opinion on it, and that anyone who actually likes it is automatically wrong.

If he would have given his opinion on the bike and left it at that, that would have been great. But people commented on why they thought his review was inaccurate and all he can do is start spewing out BS that no one can comment on his reviews or have their own opinion until they have broken as many frames as him or went as hardcore as he is.

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 17:25 Quote
Apologies for anyone that got offended. But the attitude is for the annoying few that respond to negative review just to bash the rider rather than posting his own personal experience. This post started with a guy asking for review of the bike before he bought it. I gave mine, others gave theirs, then came the few that can't handle knowing that there could possible be riders that did not like the bike. My review included the experience of the team of riders I was with for that testing day. See how everyone gets all defensive that OMG there are riders that say this bike is not as amazing compared to other expensive bikes in the same class? I'm here giving an honest review, so why do the few continue to review the reviewer instead of answering the question of the author of this post?

Feel free to disagree and state you had a better experience, but don't add a bunch of post that goes completely off course of the Marin bike. Before even being so quick to reply, really think about it, I rode the bike, didn't agree that it was the best design out there, gave my comparison of how it rode against other frames on the same trails; done. This makes no sense at all why only this frame, a few people get so rowdy up that it did not get perfect reviews.

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 21:25 Quote
power2rice wrote:
Apologies for anyone that got offended. But the attitude is for the annoying few that respond to negative review just to bash the rider rather than posting his own personal experience. This post started with a guy asking for review of the bike before he bought it. I gave mine, others gave theirs, then came the few that can't handle knowing that there could possible be riders that did not like the bike. My review included the experience of the team of riders I was with for that testing day. See how everyone gets all defensive that OMG there are riders that say this bike is not as amazing compared to other expensive bikes in the same class? I'm here giving an honest review, so why do the few continue to review the reviewer instead of answering the question of the author of this post?

Feel free to disagree and state you had a better experience, but don't add a bunch of post that goes completely off course of the Marin bike. Before even being so quick to reply, really think about it, I rode the bike, didn't agree that it was the best design out there, gave my comparison of how it rode against other frames on the same trails; done. This makes no sense at all why only this frame, a few people get so rowdy up that it did not get perfect reviews.

That's much better. I have absolutely no problem with you not liking the bike that much, if everyone was all the same we wouldn't need all this variety. I just thought some of your posts were a bit ridiculous so I had to comment on it. Sorry if I offended you, I do not have a problem with someone disliking the bike though if that's what you thought I was implying. (Not really sure if you were directing that part of your post at me or the others)

"but don't add a bunch of post that goes completely off course of the Marin bike."

As for that part, I will take your advice, I did go a bit of course with my post. However, I hope you will also take your own advice.

Thanks -

Posted: Aug 2, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
i love the quake. i live in MArin County so we get alot of free demos. hucking the 7.8 and 7.9 are easy and super fun to climb. if you climb it efficiantly, you could win some XC. can't wait for the quad DH

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 at 8:32 Quote
DHmonkey123 wrote:
i love the quake. i live in MArin County so we get alot of free demos. hucking the 7.8 and 7.9 are easy and super fun to climb. if you climb it efficiantly, you could win some XC. can't wait for the quad DH

is this real or is it made up like your pic that have been stolen from other people and you say its yours Wink

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 at 11:11 Quote
mongoose-rider wrote:
DHmonkey123 wrote:

is this real or is it made up like your pic that have been stolen from other people and you say its yours Wink
i know that all of my pics are off the internet. and this is true

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 12:42 Quote
has anyone else had a problem with a knocking in the frame on the marin quake cl 7.8 2009, i have had a knocking since i got it and have had new rebound adjustment and bearing in the link.

can anyone tell me how to resolve my problem, thanks Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:16 Quote
danny-T-buck wrote:
has anyone else had a problem with a knocking in the frame on the marin quake cl 7.8 2009, i have had a knocking since i got it and have had new rebound adjustment and bearing in the link.

Where is the knock?
Is it just a sound or is there an audible clunk?
Which shock do you have?

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:18 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:

Where is the knock?
Which shock do you have?

its a clunk noise like something is loose but can feel it all up the bike, marzocchi tst r coil Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:21 Quote
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:

Where is the knock?
Which shock do you have?

its a clunk noise like something is loose but can feel it all up the bike, marzocchi tst r coil Smile
Is the clunk right at the beggining of the travel?

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:23 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Where is the knock?
Which shock do you have?

it is around the link area cant pin point it, but had new bearings in the link and a new rebound adjuster on the shock

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:27 Quote
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:

it is around the link area cant pin point it, but had new bearing the link and a new rebound adjuster on the shock
Its likely that the coil is binding on the shock bodyin the begging of the stoke, Stry reducing and increasing the preload to see if it goes away. My TST-R coil has always had a clunk at the beging of the stroke. Try upping the pressure in the piggy back. My TST-R coil has always had a clunk at the beging of the stroke, Got it down to this. I have been able to minimize it with my preload adjustment and supplementing what i lost there with piggy back pressure.

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

it is around the link area cant pin point it, but had new bearing the link and a new rebound adjuster on the shock
Its likely that the coil is binding on the shock bodyin the begging of the stoke, Stry reducing and increasing the preload to see if it goes away. My TST-R coil has always had a clunk at the beging of the stroke. Try upping the pressure in the piggy back. My TST-R coil has always had a clunk at the beging of the stroke, Got it down to this. I have been able to minimize it with my preload adjustment and supplementing what i lost there with piggy back pressure.

ok mate, is there any chance that you could send me alink on how to do this please

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:41 Quote
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:

ok mate, is there any chance that you could send me alink on how to do this please

Better yet I will explain it right here!

Preload:
This is the ring that touches the spring, Loosen it or tighten it, You should never have more then 2 turns of preload. If you think you need more get a stiffer spring (determine using spring rate calculator).

To adjust the piggyback pressure you will need a shock pump(tire pump will not work)|
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://erinabikeworxonline.com/images/giant-shock-pump.jpgRemove the grey cap on the front of the piggy back, to reveal this:
photo
Screw on your shock pump, Adjust the pressure. It must be between 170-210 PSI The higher this pressure the more progressive the the travel will be towards the bottom of the travel.

If you have anymore questions shoot me a PM

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 at 9:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
danny-T-buck wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Better yet I will explain it right here!

Preload:
This is the ring that touches the spring, Loosen it or tighten it, You should never have more then 2 turns of preload. If you think you need more get a stiffer spring (determine using spring rate calculator).

To adjust the piggyback pressure you will need a shock pump(tire pump will not work)|
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://erinabikeworxonline.com/images/giant-shock-pump.jpgRemove the grey cap on the front of the piggy back, to reveal this:
photo
Screw on your shock pump, Adjust the pressure. It must be between 170-210 PSI The higher this pressure the more progressive the the travel will be towards the bottom of the travel.

If you have anymore questions shoot me a PM

thanks pal that has helped il try it soon

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024211
Mobile Version of Website