Freeride/dh shorts, are they of any real use?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Freeride/dh shorts, are they of any real use?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
Well i was kinda wondering what the advantadge is of fr/dh shorts compared to normal trousers/shorts. Like for example my shin/knee guards dont fit under my trousers but i was thinking about buying some normal shorts. But maby it's better to buy fr/dh shorts? And if so, could you please give me some suggestions about some good ones, because i'm actually not to formiliar with that.

thanks already=]
cheersSalute

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
well they're uber strong and dont rip

FL
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
I bought a new pair of DH/FR shorts this year and I think they are totally worth it! Proper cut, room around knee pads, tough material.....all good. I bought Sombrio Shorts...spendy but worth it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
morshutheshopkeep wrote:

Please don't say uber if you don't know what it means.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:

Über or ueber ( German pronunciation ) comes from the German language. It is a cognate of both Latin super and Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), as well as English over.

Origins

The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt man might aspire. The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman. During his rise to power, Adolf Hitler used Nietzsche's term in his descriptions of an Aryan master race. It is through this association with Superman the hero that the term "über" carries much of its English sense implying irresistibility or invincibility.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
Yes I know, I speak german. So the shorts are irresistibility or invincibly strong?

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
morshutheshopkeep wrote:

looks like proper usage to me, at least looking at the concept that the word represents. plus it's become a sort of a figure of speech anyways.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
^^^ ha ha someone just got owned.

well back to topic,i bought the rf dh shorts and yes they do mkae a difference.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
pablow wrote:
Well i was kinda wondering what the advantadge is of fr/dh shorts compared to normal trousers/shorts. Like for example my shin/knee guards dont fit under my trousers but i was thinking about buying some normal shorts. But maby it's better to buy fr/dh shorts? And if so, could you please give me some suggestions about some good ones, because i'm actually not to formiliar with that.

thanks already=]
cheersSalute

FR/DH shorts are amzaingly strong (can hold up in a crash), loose in the proper areas for maximum mobility, well ventilated, streamlined (not a bunch of extra pockets/straps/whatever), and allow you to wear extra padding underneith without discomfort. If your talking race shorts, I'd recommend any of the Royal line. Troy Lee is cool but over-priced. Azonic/O'neal is great stuff and affordable. Fox makes some good stuff too. You'll definitely notice a difference if you get some decent bike shorts compared to regular trousers~

Peace!

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:24 Quote
worht the $$

i baught a pair of Kona riding pants over 6 years ago. Few rips in them now, but it survived MANY MANY crashed, a broken femur and they are ready for retirement ( due to belly bulging) haha.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:25 Quote
knobzy wrote:
worht the $$

i baught a pair of Kona riding pants over 6 years ago. Few rips in them now, but it survived MANY MANY crashed, a broken femur and they are ready for retirement ( due to belly bulging) haha.
i woulda thought they'd crack

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 12:26 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
Yes I know, I speak german. So the shorts are irresistibility or invincibly strong?

my old style sombrio rev shorts are, 2-3 years and still rocking

ywah I got tld shorts ages ago and they're super tough

For the best dh/fr shorts, Dakine and Fox has some of the best ones out there. The Oakley ones are too thick for my liking, I like my shorts plain and simple with plenty of ventilation and a high inseam so my shorts won't get caught on the saddle. Dakine will be my next one's.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012474
Mobile Version of Website