Picking the right suspension fork

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Picking the right suspension fork
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 14:10 Quote
i am converting my haro thread8 dj bike into more of a freeride mountain bike.
i initially built it with a 36/18 single speed setup and Maxxis HolyRoller tires.
great for the local BMX track and for dirt jumping trails but I have found i am really not into that stuff.
i mainly ride DH/freeride style trails and i was hoping to build the haro thread 8 around that type of trail. my other bike is a Specialized Big Hit with 180mm 66's and Swinger6 shocks. i run the full 8" travel setup and 2.5 tires. i have it setup with a dual ring up front and 9 in the rear so I am not limited to only shuttle rides.
to be honest, it serves it purpose and i do not feel like i am misisng or have too much travel at any point. but, i want something that is more 'pedal friendly'...lol

i have since removed the dj style components on the thread8 and put the following:
2.5 intense DH ExDC tires
outlaw wheels
9 speed XTR rear derailleur
hayes 9 brakes
full Hussefelt components
sunline V-1 all mountian stem 50mm

obviously the rear is a hardtail, but for the front i am concerned that my current shock is too weak. i have an older fox float 100rlc 100mm travel. i dont plan on major jumping but i do want a fork that can take a hit since i am an aggresive rider.
ideally i would like a fork that feels like my 66's but with only around 130mm at the very most, anything more is not only overkill but would drastically change the geometry.
any suggestions? i was looking at the 55's but thye only seem to come in 140mm travel

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
i think i want to buy used instead of new for this specific build so i would estimate around 300 +or-

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
Rock Shox Pike is about the best bet in that price range and fits what you need well.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:44 Quote
I concur, pike is excellent choice given the price range.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:53 Quote
I have been looking at the Pikes but I wouldnt mind spending a few more IF it meant that i would have the perfect combuination of fork and bike.
to be honest, i stay away from Rock Shox (dont really know why) i've just always been completely satisfied with Marzocchi suspension.
i was also looking at used Fox36's but it seems that their travel range is upwards of 140mm so i'm guessing that would screw up the geometry.
i would like to keep it under 300 but 500 is not an unreasonable price range, again, for the perfect fork!

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
Pike whoops the pants off the newer marzo crap. Their quality dropped dramatically after their buyout. I run RS stuff, and the pike has been the most reliable, quality fork ive felt in that travel range to date.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
mtblocos1 wrote:
I have been looking at the Pikes but I wouldnt mind spending a few more IF it meant that i would have the perfect combuination of fork and bike.
to be honest, i stay away from Rock Shox (dont really know why) i've just always been completely satisfied with Marzocchi suspension.
i was also looking at used Fox36's but it seems that their travel range is upwards of 140mm so i'm guessing that would screw up the geometry.
i would like to keep it under 300 but 500 is not an unreasonable price range, again, for the perfect fork!

You can always lower the 36's if price is not an option, but dude, the pike is pretty much exactly what your looking for. The marz. 4x is only 100mm and the 55 is 140mm, so nothing in marzocchis lineup really suits what your looking for. The pike is good cause you can have 140mm for bashing freeride, drop it to 130 / 120 for smoother stuff, or rock it at 95 if you do feel like dirt jumping.

*the 55 ATA goes from 125 to 165.
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detailSPAForksMTB.asp?IDFolder=208&IDAnno=56330&Sito=usa-mtb&mCO=Prgho%5ChduPrgho%5Chdu%23GHVF%2F%23VhulhRuglqh%2F%23weoRjjhwwl1LGRjjhwwr&mCW=DQG%23%26Prgho%5ChduPrgho%5Chdu%26%23A@%23*5334*%23DQG%23%26DP%26%23@%234%23DQG%23%26Prgho%5Chdu%26%23@%2389663&mCJ=&IDOggetto=56477

* sorry for the long link

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 16:44 Quote
Pike it is then, anyone got one for sale???lol

my next question is whether they would be as 'plush' as the 66 (obviously i know the travel will not be equal) but can i make an air fork (Pike) as plush and buttery smooth as a coil fork?
i also have been told that the Domain is another option but that just seems like overkill.

by the way this is what the bike used to look like before i put real tires and gears on it.
photo

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 16:46 Quote
The coil u-turn pike is pretty stinkin smooth. Its a shorter travel fork, so you arent going to have the silly soft initial 1.5 inches that the 66 has.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
ok, so what is the difference between the 409, 426 and 454?
on the Sram website it seems like the difference is minimal.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
Coil/air spring, and hollow/solid crown.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 8:35 Quote
i'm thinking i would rather have a solid crown over a hollow crown and i would rather have coil spring vs. the air spring.
the weight difference should be minimal.
anyone have any significant problems with the 409 or 426 version.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
mtblocos1 wrote:
i'm thinking i would rather have a solid crown over a hollow crown and i would rather have coil spring vs. the air spring.
the weight difference should be minimal.
anyone have any significant problems with the 409 or 426 version.

I'm running the 426, smashing it in the park, no problems yet.... just arm pump... need my 888's back

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013206
Mobile Version of Website