Help! Repair scratched stanchions?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help! Repair scratched stanchions?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
Got some scratches on my stanchions (888 nickel plated 08 wc), luckily on the "air side", i.e. the right stanchion. All thanks to a f*cking clumsy dum *ss friend.
What is the best option? The scratches are inwards, about 0,5 - 1mm deep. Should I go for sand paper or do you guys have a better idea? Would suck to sandpaper the stanchions since the nickel plating will be ruined then.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 2:34 Quote
*Bump* anyone?

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
if its not leaking, leave them well alone...

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 2:39 Quote
I've heard that a good idea is to use fine wet sanpaper (1000+ grit) to smoothen out the inward scratches, then use nail polish or epoxy and then sandpaper it down. Does it sound like a good idea? Will be riding non stop full on DH for three weeks (bike park), just one week until I go for vacation.

And, no, from what I've seen it's not leaking. But I'm a bit worried that I'll have to replace seals and stuff since I'll be riding really hard DH for three weeks (every day, 4-6 hours). A "quick" fix would be so much better and cheaper.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 3:19 Quote
What you wrote seems to be the best way to do it. Still I would give it to someone, who has already done something like that, or an experienced mechanician.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 3:25 Quote
proxx wrote:
What you wrote seems to be the best way to do it. Still I would give it to someone, who has already done something like that, or an experienced mechanician.

A good friend of mine is a bike mechanic so I think I'll do it at home under his supervision.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 4:53 Quote
I've heard NEVER SANDPAPER YOUR STANCHIONS! Dont know, just something to think about before doing it.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 3:06 Quote
thezodiac wrote:
I've heard NEVER SANDPAPER YOUR STANCHIONS! Dont know, just something to think about before doing it.

But from what I've heard an extremely fine sand paper (~1000 grit) is much better than using a machine.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 3:10 Quote
run a finger over the scratch and if you feel a slight rise around it get some ultra fine wet and dry (as you say atleast 1000) wrap it round a fine file or something similar and lightly take the burr off

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 3:15 Quote
ensure there are no burrs (bits sticking out) ie the mentioned sandpaper technique or just try and force the metal back where it came from with a hard piece of plastic or something smooth but essentially softer than the stanchion (yes this works but only after repeated attempts)

then get some enamel paint. carefully fill the the gap that remains.

then smooth out with paint rubbing compound

and bobs your uncle Wink

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
If it's not bad enough to leak excessive oil I would just leave it alone

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
Heres what I did when I scratched my Fox 40 stanctions. I smoothed out the scratch with some fine sandpaper. took some epoxy and put it in the scratch, once the epoxy dried I smoothed out the epoxy with sandpaper until it was smooth with the stanction. I replaced my seals, no problems since.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 8:00 Quote
Fixed it, 800 grit san paper with 3 thin coats of super glue. Did wonders, it doesn't leak and the seals seems to be intact. Smile

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012673
Mobile Version of Website