Frame purchase: Got screwed by friend's dad.... is it worth burning bridges?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Frame purchase: Got screwed by friend's dad.... is it worth burning bridges?
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:03 Quote
davvi wrote:
ksmb wrote:
you sell it back for a lot more that you gave. make some money out of this douchebags dad.
read the title friends dad

Facepalm

So are you agreeing with me and saying that I am indeed not pissed at my friend?

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
hamina777 wrote:
davvi wrote:
ksmb wrote:
you sell it back for a lot more that you gave. make some money out of this douchebags dad.
read the title friends dad

Facepalm

So are you agreeing with me and saying that I am indeed not pissed at my friend?
Yes.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
downhilljoker wrote:
if you havnt already paid for the frame then technically it is still theirs, this is why you should get everything down in writing with signitures. If you have already paid money for it then legally it is yours. I think there has already been a bridge burnt down, if you give the frame back then theres already damage done to your friendship because youll always have hard feelings towards his parents and blame him for not sticking up to his dad and letting you have the frame. if youve already given some money for the frame i say just pay off the rest you owe him and leave it at that. really its up to you though and what you want to do.

Well, we'll see. Dad is going to do his darnedest. Haha. I also technically possess the frame, so that's good.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
Well if you want the be all end all then your pretty well up the creek. Since you did not give money for the frame yet then no matter what you don't own it. You should have paid him before you went around to getting a new fork. If you had done that then you would be fine.

I do agree that the dad is a little offside, but did your friend talk to his dad about it before hand? I'm willing to bet he didn't otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue. Suck it up and give the frame back to him on one condition. Take it to a local bike shop to get a value of what the frame is now worth 2 and a half years later. It's not going to be all that much because bike depreciate really fast for the first couple years then level out.

As for the mom is concerned I wouldn't call her spineless. You haven't really learned how that whole dynamic works yet. She probably voiced her concern to her husband and he just wouldn't listen.

Take this all as a lesson. What you agree to in a conversation means jack diddly all unless you have it in writing.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
If his dad doesn't know shit about bikes like most dads but pretends to then make up some absolute bullshit about how you've already welded you're cranks to it or cut it to fit you're shock or something to make him not want it back.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
Take to Jerry Springer.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:10 Quote
A) I know, but this whole thing is kind of a dick move.

B) I don't know but the mom gave the OK.

C) Yeah, she kind of is. Said friend runs amok.

D) If one more person pulls the life lesson bullshit I'm going to kill a baby seal.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
Fat-Matt wrote:
If his dad doesn't know shit about bikes like most dads but pretends to then make up some absolute bullshit about how you've already welded you're cranks to it or cut it to fit you're shock or something to make him not want it back.
+1 and say that its been done so it can only be used on your bike. Oh yeah and its 100% irreversable.

Mod
Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Well, you haven't paid him for it so you don't own anything... There is no bill of sale and a transaction has not occurred. A friendship isn’t worth ruining over a petty disagreement. Show your friend’s dad the receipts for the work done and see if he is willing to pay for what you are out of pocket for. Don’t nickel and dime him either. Just say you spent x amount of money at the bike shop and you’d like it back if you return the frame. See if he’s willing to accept that for the frame. If he isn’t then try and agree on a fair and reasonable price for it.

I mean you are young and your friend is probably the same age. I'm sure his parents had something to do with buying the bike when it was new so they want a hand in when selling it too.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
Yeah, it looks hopeless. Maybe if I offer $400 instead of $200.

I know I sound like a whiny little bitch of a grom but this really gets to me for some reason.... I guess because there are no other frames around for that sort of price.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
hamina777 wrote:
Yeah, it looks hopeless. Maybe if I offer $400 instead of $200.

I know I sound like a whiny little bitch of a grom but this really gets to me for some reason.... I guess because there are no other frames around for that sort of price.
Well even if u dont get it back its not the end of the world. It will hurt you now, maybe for a couple of weeks, but by next month ull probably have some sort of rideable bike. (???) actually saying that though it really gets to me when my bikes broken. Day 2 without a gear changer starting to suffer. Other offers should come around. Maybe.....

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
Your mate's dad might not know much about bikes but i dont think he is being a dick. Hes just looking out for his son and making sure he doesn't get a bad deal.

Just be polite and reason with him and will probably realise he doesn't really know that much about the bikes and you can make a deal. I know your angry about this but if you go in agressivly he is less likely to change his mind.

And no offence but you really shouldn't have started spending money on something that isn't officialy yours.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
[Quote="laurie1"]Well, you haven't paid him for it so you don't own anything... There is no bill of sale and a transaction has not occurred."

The above reasoning is incorrect. Legally, you formed a contract of purchase and sale when your friend agreed to the $300.00 dollar price. Further evidence of this contract is that your friend actually gave you the frame to work on giving you possession.

As long as you intended to pay your friend eventually, the fact that money did not change hands is irrelevant. A term of the agreement may have been that you would come up with the money later.

As for the father. Screw him. He's actually teaching his son that it's ok to back out of deals if you change your mind later. The father is on the wrong side of the law on this one.

I can't comment on the personal side of this but the legal argument should calm down the dad a bit.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:33 Quote
tell him that u spent all the money on it and try and reason

tell him your basically borrowing it whilst ur mate dont need it and ur saving for a new frame, the cash ur paying ur frend is a "loan" fee

ask him how hed feel if hed bought a mates rates bike spent a lot of money and time on it and then someone who has nothing to do with it came and tryed taking it away

ask him why he wants it? it wont sell for much more and is old

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
Mom's a lawyer, I'm gonna ask about that... thanks stevehayes!

As for the dad, he's not looking out for his son. Believe me. He's looking out for his bank statement.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011065
Mobile Version of Website