All you good lookin Photographers out there

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
All you good lookin Photographers out there
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
hey, had a different question that could lead to an interesting thread...

just yesterday i was shooting for a swim meet, when i began to wonder whether people may think i was just a creeper with a camera, haha (obvious considering it's me).

i'm becoming more serious with photography, and looking the part is deffinitely a big influence on peoples opinions of someone, especially with a camera...

for small groups of people you may share a common interest with, like biking, it's easy to take shots of others. in larger groups like in my situation at a swim meet, it's a different situation, personally; not knowing many, if any people, they most likely don't know you you are... How would one go about looking professional in a situation like photography. Sooner than later, i hope to become a photo jounalist and i'll be facing this situation often.

Not all events expect cameras. even if they do, not always the guy with the big camera. just having a nice camera (pshhhh, i could have better... haha) doesn't seem enough. people wont act natural if they don't feel comfortable with a creeper lurking around. haha

To those who know me, you're entitled to only one mean personal message, for example, "But, Nick... you ARE a creeper!!! there's no curing this dissability of yours..."

this could even be a fun thread if people felt like posting pictures of creepers with cameras, haha.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
Just be up front with what you are doing ,talk with people before evening getting the camera out. dress for the event and good basic hygiene
now go out there you creeper and have some mfing fun !!

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 22:57 Quote
shaving is a MUST!

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 2:20 Quote
Get a hat like this:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://z.about.com/d/nonprofit/1/0/Z/0/-/-/journalist170.jpg

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
heheheyup, that was the kind of thing i was looking for in a hat. maybe a feather instead of a paper slip.

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
Well for one, i you have a big gear bag with little tripods for lights attached. Also a necklace with a plastic sleeve and paper that says media helps a lot. Going to get a good camera strap makes you look legit too. Blackrapid.com makes a pretty pimp one.

Wear a baseball cap backwards with a redbull logo or something on it. People will give you extra attention with the bulls.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
or maybe a mascot bull mask. yeah, definitely showcasing extra gear from a gear bag. having a girlfriend hovering around would help make a person seem legit. maybe she could showcase some of her gear from her gear bags too... hmmm...

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 at 1:18 Quote
Get an assistant, then you'll look legit.

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 at 7:30 Quote
Just act like you know what you're doing. Get to know people and remember their names before you start shooting. Tell them what you want to do and ask for their help to make that happen. For events, you are merely a journalist, a casual observer. But for planned shoots, you are a director. Take charge of the situation. Don't be afraid to try something you're not sure of, but make yourself look like you are sure of it. You have to work fast, your subject's attention span is less than half an hour, more like 10 minutes realistically.

The pro photographers I've shot with are not afraid to get up in the scene of an event. They act like they are the only person around and pay no attention to anyone but their subject. Your job is to make people look good so tell them that and they'll work for it. Take a crapload of shots and look like you know what you're doing.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
sweet, thanks!
and those blackrapid straps look trick too, andy

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
nickf wrote:
sweet, thanks!
and those blackrapid straps look trick too, andy

Yeah, they are comfy even after 4+ hours with a heavy camera

Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 0:23 Quote
nickf wrote:
how maach?

Depends on the model. The one i am using is 50$. Made by the dudes who do the Artryx stuff

Posted: Jul 5, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
carry a big bag and look like you know what you're doing.

I walked right into the XGames last year with no ticket. Just had my bag of gear, some old passes from other events around my neck, and a bad attitude. Walked right in the media entrance, flopped my bag on the table to be checked, and was on the phone at the same time. I acted seriously disinterested with what the security guy was up to. He didn't want to bother me while on the phone, so he just let me through.

looking the part goes a long way.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018687
Mobile Version of Website