Snowshoe- Some Questions

PB Forum :: USA - East
Snowshoe- Some Questions
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 4, 2009 at 6:13 Quote
I'm soon taking a trip to snowshoe but had some questions. I was looking at the trail map and many trails are marked with an orange sign I'm not familiar with. Are these trails hard? And what does the orange sign stand for?

Also I want to get to chainsmoke to ride it but I can't seem to figure out if I can get there without hitting the gnarly DH trails ( I have a 4 inch travel slopestyle bike so I don't want to go there).

I was wondering if anyone had ridden ninja bob and could tell me what its like.

And could anyone advise me on what trails to stay away from, like the really gnarly Dh runs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 8:31 Quote
the orange sign on the trailmaps pretty much indicates it's harder than a blue and a DH track. the primary gnarly DH tracks that feature stuff you probably don't wanna hit with a 4-incher would include OG, Pro DH, Upper and Lower Hareball. Those are the gnarliest IMO, especially the rockgardens on the hareballs.

i haven't actually ridden chainsmoke yet, because it's been closed when i was up there, but the way that i was told to get to it is to take every possible left that you can (however, this involves going through some DH territory). it's been awhile since i was up there, so i'll post again with a little more detailed info for you.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 8:32 Quote
when are you planning on going jmoney? I'll be there thursday-monday

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 8:34 Quote
i'll be there if i can get my bike out of the shop and drag my lazy ass friends up there with me.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
thanks for that chainsmoke link! Thats a cool site

Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 13:03 Quote
JMoney53 wrote:
I'm soon taking a trip to snowshoe but had some questions. I was looking at the trail map and many trails are marked with an orange sign I'm not familiar with. Are these trails hard? And what does the orange sign stand for?

Also I want to get to chainsmoke to ride it but I can't seem to figure out if I can get there without hitting the gnarly DH trails ( I have a 4 inch travel slopestyle bike so I don't want to go there).

I was wondering if anyone had ridden ninja bob and could tell me what its like.

And could anyone advise me on what trails to stay away from, like the really gnarly Dh runs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ok i ride snowshoe every other weekend for the past 3 years...

Ok western terriroty side
stay away from the upper and lower hairball
stay away from upper and lower quickdraw
you can make it down pro dh to get to chainsmoke. Make an immediate left after the pro dh rock garden to get to it
ninja bob is a smooth trail with some tight berms.. its mainly just a connector to get to missing link
missing link is the shit.. huge berms huge jumps very high speed.. the trail is like 8 ft waide the whole way down and it buttery smooth.. its perfect for your 4 inch bike.. it leads you to powerline.
powerline is snowshoes version of a-line

Basin side
Stay off trail A.. lol.. its gnarly...
ride ragin bull all you can... snooth, a couple doubles and two huge wall rides
you can make it down trail C.
Trails G, H, and I have all the sweet wooden features like the wall rides and the roller bridge

The bottom line...

If you can rent a bike for a day to get the chance to ride everything... its like 80 bucks a day

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
Hey I'm riding snowshoe this saturday, is anybody going that can point me in the way of the good trails? I like jump trails and steep downhill.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
runner wrote:
Hey I'm riding snowshoe this saturday, is anybody going that can point me in the way of the good trails? I like jump trails and steep downhill.

that's pretty vague, but for jumps and stuff, you'd probably like the basin side better for that. for the good DH trails in the western territory look for pro DH, OG, upper and lower hareball, things along that line. also, for a-line style jump trail, chainsmoke would be good.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 17:46 Quote
Hey, the place I'm staying at the base of Snowshoe doesn't allow bikes in. Where can I but my bike?

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
manaicrobbins wrote:
Hey, the place I'm staying at the base of Snowshoe doesn't allow bikes in. Where can I but my bike?

where are you staying?

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 17:38 Quote
cneums wrote:
manaicrobbins wrote:

where are you staying?

I'm staying at the Inn at Snowshoe? I'm not quite sure

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 17:41 Quote
manaicrobbins wrote:
cneums wrote:
manaicrobbins wrote:

where are you staying?

ahh yeah, i've stayed there, the inn is at the bottom, and it's kinda a pain. unless you have a car, or can find some way to get your bikes up the mountain, you'll either have to walk or push them up to where the shuttle stop is at the bottom. there's a bike washing station, and i think places you can lock them, but if you're renting i know the MAC at the top of the hill lets you keep them there, and there's plenty of places to lock them up top. however, when we stayed at the inn, they let us take our bikes in our room, as long as they were clean, so if you can get away with that, i'd do that.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 19:46 Quote
cneums wrote:
manaicrobbins wrote:
cneums wrote:

where are you staying?

ahh yeah, i've stayed there, the inn is at the bottom, and it's kinda a pain. unless you have a car, or can find some way to get your bikes up the mountain, you'll either have to walk or push them up to where the shuttle stop is at the bottom. there's a bike washing station, and i think places you can lock them, but if you're renting i know the MAC at the top of the hill lets you keep them there, and there's plenty of places to lock them up top. however, when we stayed at the inn, they let us take our bikes in our room, as long as they were clean, so if you can get away with that, i'd do that.

Thanks. I'll clean it and just bring it in and see what happens

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
yeah, just head over to the washing station at the far end of the parking lot and then take it in.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 at 21:04 Quote
no ive ridden snowshoe almost every weekend for the past 2 years... im pretty much an expert on the mtn.

Basin: steep, roots, rocks, slippery when wet,rock drops, freeride oriented

Western: Pr dh; classic downhill, roots, rock gardens, high speed and big airs,
Og; Rock drops and classic dh,
5 years back: Ganrly rock drops into tech sections and leads into pro dh or og
Upper and lower hairball; The cream of the crop in my opinion. You access from pro dh and go into the gnarliest rock gardens ever. The epitamy of downhill.
Upper and loewr quickdraw. Upper is fun, lower is slow going and rocky. tough to ride.
Ninja bob: ( sux to me) lots of berms and switchbacks.
Ball and jack; extremely high speed rock garden thats like 400 yards long.
Sweet dreams : (access of ball and jack/ missing link) perfet single track
MIssing link: (acess off ninja bob or stp road) super high speed huge berms and jumps
Powerline; like a-line

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.016349
Mobile Version of Website