Why does everyone hate Gyro's?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Why does everyone hate Gyro's?
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
random-dude wrote:
A strait cable has a lot of slack in the u-cable going from the hanger to the brake arms. When you pull on the lever, the cable has to take up the slack before it can clamp down the brake. Even if your brakes are dialled in well there'll be some slack without mods.

You can run a spoke mod instead of a straddle cable, which eliminates flex between the hanger and the u-brake arms.

That's one of the mods I was talking about. The problem with a spoke mod is that it requires a bit of skill and hard to adjust, which ensures that probably 99.9% of riders will never bother with it, which makes it a bit of a moot point.

I saw this the other day on Sergio Layos bike check and thought it was cool. It's basically a London mod style hanger that allows you to run dual cables back to the brake arms, so there'll be less slack to take up. I hope this is a prototype and that Fly will eventually start producing it.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m197/screamingdaisy_album/Other/BrakeMod.jpg

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 21:22 Quote
richardmcdonagh wrote:

Weight freak? Explain to me the logic of having a Gyro on your bike if you can't even put it to use? If you can barspin, no harm in having a Gyro then, if you can't use it at all, then what the f*ck is the point of that.

An Odyssey GTX-R only adds 1.2oz. You can loose more than that by swapping a regular 10-12oz stem for an 8.2oz Odyssey Elementary stem... and the Elementary can have built in gyro tabs so you don't even need the extra weight of a gyro plate.

The only extra weight you'd need to figure is the weight added by the second cable. Of course, you'd also have to balance that against the extra weight added by the foot and a half of extra linear cable you have hanging off your handlebar.

In short... a gyro doesn't need to add significant weight, and if you're using an OG style stem... it could actually wind up lighter than your current setup.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 at 21:26 Quote
Animik wrote:
Even if you can't barspin or tailwhip, if you're running brakes, or if i was to I would definitely run a gyro. After riding brakeless for a year, I put on brakes for a week and was annoyed that you have to unwind the cable everytime you whip or throw your bars. Really annoying when learning and saves time if you get a gyro. Even long straight cables are annoying, I ran an uncut animal cable and it was only good for 2 spins max and then you're pushing it.

I know what you mean.

My old bike had a gyro before I broke it and went brakeless for a few years. I'm currently running a linear, and I like it for the simplicity, but I occasionally forget where I'm at and kink the cable hard against the stem. I'm really thinking hard about going back to a gyro.

I do have to agree with richardmcdonagh though... if you're not doing spin tricks there really isn't any need for one. Personally, I think they get a bad rap because they're featured on a lot of low end completes.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 3:58 Quote
random-dude wrote:
richardmcdonagh wrote:

Weight freak? Explain to me the logic of having a Gyro on your bike if you can't even put it to use? If you can barspin, no harm in having a Gyro then, if you can't use it at all, then what the f*ck is the point of that.

An Odyssey GTX-R only adds 1.2oz. You can loose more than that by swapping a regular 10-12oz stem for an 8.2oz Odyssey Elementary stem... and the Elementary can have built in gyro tabs so you don't even need the extra weight of a gyro plate.

The only extra weight you'd need to figure is the weight added by the second cable. Of course, you'd also have to balance that against the extra weight added by the foot and a half of extra linear cable you have hanging off your handlebar.

In short... a gyro doesn't need to add significant weight, and if you're using an OG style stem... it could actually wind up lighter than your current setup.
thankyou! Salute

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 6:59 Quote
gyros need to be maintained, there expensive as hell. the only realy you need one is for dirt and maybe park.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
mikedjumpin wrote:
there expensive as hell. the only realy you need one is for dirt and maybe park. other than that just run bitchless

Wrong.

Also, I like how you write "bitchless" instead of brakeless. As if a brake makes you less of a man. If you're so tough, why don't you run some 10-spoke rims and a frame made out of cardboard?

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:
there expensive as hell. the only realy you need one is for dirt and maybe park. other than that just run bitchless

Wrong.

Also, I like how you write "bitchless" instead of brakeless. As if a brake makes you less of a man. If you're so tough, why don't you run some 10-spoke rims and a frame made out of cardboard?
lol

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:14 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:

Wrong.

thers is no need for brakes when riding street

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
Don't turn this into another brakeless debate. Just don't.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
I don't like the look and every gyro ive seen has had less brake power than my linear cable.

Also, ive rode both brakeless and with brakes and because of where I live, riding with brakes suits me more.

It's a personal choice and also sometimes if you have a decent ride to your spots it's in your best intrest due to traffic and other pedestrians.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:42 Quote
i figured i'd be a trendwhore and ride brakeless so i took of the gyro and tried it. it seems to limit me in the park and isnt as fun. i just bought an odyssey linear cable.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
Dirtbiker-DH wrote:
i figured i'd be a trendwhore and ride brakeless so i took of the gyro and tried it. it seems to limit me in the park and isnt as fun. i just bought an odyssey linear cable.

Taking off your brakes doesn't make you a trend whore, if you take your brakes off it's because you like that style of riding.

The kids who take their brakes off to be like everyone else probably wish they could ride like everyone else too, better.

Gyro's are sensible if you are throwing bars and tailwhips quite a bit, if not a lengthy linear cable is good enough.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 16:14 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
mikedjumpin wrote:

Wrong.

Says the man with a cardboard helmet... o.O

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 18:05 Quote
That helmet/hat kicks more ass than an ass kicking machine.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 23:13 Quote
kinged wrote:
Dirtbiker-DH wrote:

Taking off your brakes doesn't make you a trend whore, if you take your brakes off it's because you like that style of riding.

The kids who take their brakes off to be like everyone else probably wish they could ride like everyone else too, better.

Gyro's are sensible if you are throwing bars and tailwhips quite a bit, if not a lengthy linear cable is good enough.
ya i mean the kids that do it for no reason. just to look cool and fit in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028101
Mobile Version of Website