Looking into a road bike and I have a few questions

PB Forum :: 29ers
Looking into a road bike and I have a few questions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2009 at 10:56 Quote
At my hight 6 feet, how big of a frame should I be looking into getting. I'm not looking for something to keep me comfortable, but something that can optimize performance. Is there even a diff? or would I still in both cases got with something like a 58?

Also I noticed that tri bikes are completely different looking than competition or performance bikes. Why is that?

Thanx guys.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
i'm six foot as well, and i know i fit on a 56 just fine, but the guys i work with say i'd be better off on a 58. from what i've seen, heard, and experienced, performance and comfort work together on a good fitting performance road bike. that is, the spot where you are most comfortable in is where you'll be making the most power.

as for tri bikes- i could be wrong, never done a triathalon myself... but i work in a shop that is the most knowledgeable and roadie friendly in the area, so most of the local tri athletes come to us. from what i've heard, in road riding and racing, you ride in a big pack. somebody's breaking the wind and pulling the pack at all times, so aerodynamics aren't that big of an issue, because pulls at the front last from 30 seconds to a minute. but with tris, when you hit the bike section, all the competitors are not getting on the bikes at the same time. you therefore don't have a pack to pull you, meaning you have to break the wind yourself. you are in a much more aerodynamic position at all times then. also, the aero extensions (the bars that come out forward allowing you to rest your whole forearm) i imagine would also make it easier, and less work to hold yourself up on the bike, saving energy for the next stage.

i hope i didn't wind up making things less clear for you. haha i'm still learning too.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 21:19 Quote
I would go for the 58, the 56 will be a little short for you. You can get a smaller frame if you get a triathlon bike because your position is a lot more forward on the bike (on the aero bars). Because you are in the forward tucked position tri bikes are not as easy to steer and are harder to cut close corners etc. If you are interested in doing a triathlon there are a lot of people that use their normal road bikes for them. Some people even use Mtn. bikes but it will really slow you down. I did one a few months ago and there was a guy with a 5.5" Intense Tracer getting smoked by road bikes. But its all about fun.

In most triathlons it is illegal to be close to(or to draft) another rider so they need to be the most aerodynamic as possible. The bikes, wheels and the tucked position is the most aero and will reduce drag.
Watch the tour de france going on right now and you will notice that the riders in the back of the peloton (the large group), don't have to pedal as hard as the riders in front. The riders in front cut the wind and the other guys get a free ride.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 21:26 Quote
Don't get a tri bike unless you want go get serious with triathlons. They are uncofrtable for regular everyday riding and training. Get a regular road bike and you will be much happier... plus they aren't as expensive i dont think.

Also, if you wanted to try triathlons you can always use your regular road bike. Many people do this all the time.

As far as size... i think if you are 6 ft... about a 32 end seam, go with the 57-58 range. Test ride them to find what is most comfortable... seat hight can change but with a bigger bike you will be stretched out further to reach the bars.

Good luck!

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 21:27 Quote
your height is not the only factor in picking a road bike. im 6 foot 3, but i have a short inseam, so a proper fit for me would actually be a size under what you would normally think that i should ride. go to your LBS, they will size you properly. there are much more factors than just height.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 21:27 Quote
Thanx for I feedback guys. That's quite interesting to know.

Flowy "i hope i didn't wind up making things less clear for you. haha i'm still learning too."

lol, not at all. ty

Posted: Jul 20, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
You will need to pay attention to how the company sizes also. Some co's go off the center of the bb to top tube as their 55cm size and others use the top tube measurement for their size so make sure you check the geo carefully.

lcstay10 wrote:
your height is not the only factor in picking a road bike. im 6 foot 3, but i have a short inseam, so a proper fit for me would actually be a size under what you would normally think that i should ride. go to your LBS, they will size you properly. there are much more factors than just height.

Posted: Aug 10, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
Alright, I've tried a couple of frame out. 58 fits me like a glove.

For those of you inquiring about the same. I'm 6 feet tall.

Thank for the replies gents.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011862
Mobile Version of Website