Strobists- Show and Tell

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Strobists- Show and Tell
Author Message
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 11:25 Quote
Okay here we go!

Monolights

Alienbee B800 x3
Vagabond x1
Cybersync 1 Transmitter 3 Receivers
Barn Doors
40, 30, 20, 10 degree grids
Avenger C-Booms

Speedlights

580EX II x2
580EX I x 1
430EX II x 2

Accessories
5' Photoflex Octobox with 40 degree grid
4'x 3' Photoflex softbox
16"x12" Photoflex box for the 580EXs

as well as a bunch of mini-stands, backdrop stands and 10 foot monolight stands

Loaded up for a shoot (non-biking)



Main lighting case


Smile

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 15:32 Quote
You win. Nice set up. :p

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 at 10:44 Quote
This is what I do Wink Work as the photographer's assistant and production co-ordinator. PS. Mexico is awesome Wink


and my behind the scenes gallery http://www.andrewcolvin.ca/portfolio/los-cabos-2009/

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 at 22:24 Quote
Haha, that's awesome! Must be nicee Wink

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 6:58 Quote
Just got my new Pelican 1550 with dividers. Will be using this basic setup + vagabond in a backpack for biking shoots this year!


And my new cybersync home!

Posted: Sep 24, 2010 at 21:36 Quote
3-5 weeks from getting a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS... II

yeah... thought I'd bring back a dead thread just to get that off my chest.

most likely 3 weeks, but could be 5 if I need another paycheck to get there! haha.

I most likely don't need such an awesome lens, but I figured if I were to spend ~$1800... might as well spend ~$2300 instead!

I'd like to think the benefits of the better Image Stabilizer are what will come in handy. While Stopping action in biking desn't require IS, I love shooting people and events, which is where I'd like to take this lens over my 50mm.

first it was gonna be an 85mm f/1.8... then when I had enough for that, I decided to wait to earn up for a 135mm f/2.0 (may still want that)... then I had enough for that... then the original model of what I'm getting (MKI)... well I'd like to think this will fill the big gap I'm missing in my current 2-lens arsenal, a Canon 50mm f/1.4 and a Tokina 11-16. (It'd be nice to get something around 24-35mm too... haha. want want want want want!!!)

does this mean I have to show people up now? I'm not ready to be stressed out from peer pressure...

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 1:10 Quote
Let's bring 'er back!

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 at 14:11 Quote
sounds good, the crazy part of my season is winding down, going to be doing 2 tutorials in the next month or so, 1 on natural light and 1 on artificial light (strobist stuff). I'll also have a lot more time to contribute to forums etc...

Posted: Oct 10, 2010 at 20:20 Quote
I've done a few shootings* with the 70-200, and so far, I have to say it's clearer than my 50mm f1.4, which really makes me wanna see what an L-series prime would look like! cause if this zoom is beating out my favorite(one-and-only) prime, I'm gonna definitely be looking into an L-prime, possbily slightly wider than 50mm to take up the space I'm missing between my 11-16 and 50mm.
I'll definitely keep using my 50mm for lower light stuff, lighter travel stuff, and under the radar (when I'm in DA HOOD) stuff, but the 70-200, I'd have to say, is gonna take the place of what I've usually subjected the 50mm to.
ofcouse... most guys I see using a 70-200 are also walking around with a 16-35... DOPE!!! peer pressure...

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
nickf wrote:
I've done a few shootings* with the 70-200, and so far, I have to say it's clearer than my 50mm f1.4, which really makes me wanna see what an L-series prime would look like! cause if this zoom is beating out my favorite(one-and-only) prime, I'm gonna definitely be looking into an L-prime, possbily slightly wider than 50mm to take up the space I'm missing between my 11-16 and 50mm.
I'll definitely keep using my 50mm for lower light stuff, lighter travel stuff, and under the radar (when I'm in DA HOOD) stuff, but the 70-200, I'd have to say, is gonna take the place of what I've usually subjected the 50mm to.
ofcouse... most guys I see using a 70-200 are also walking around with a 16-35... DOPE!!! peer pressure...

That's an excellent observation Nick, not sure how it relates to the strobist topic, did you mean to post it here? Or am I just missing something? I have a Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 that is super sharp, but it's not autofocus and at 1.4 depth of field is super shallow unless I'm 100 feet away, so mostly it gets used for selective focus stuff and long shots. It also doesn't cross over with the 70-200mm, it's definitely a different focal length that is useful, and as you inferred it's small and inconspicuous.

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:09 Quote
It's nice to see you posting again in the forums Ian.

I just came into the Ranger Quadra Head S set off of your rec. to me at Otter. I seem to remember you saying that those heads need an adapter for some of the bigger reflector's. Is that right? And do you know what the adapter is called?

Thanks

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:50 Quote
j-peters wrote:
It's nice to see you posting again in the forums Ian.

I just came into the Ranger Quadra Head S set off of your rec. to me at Otter. I seem to remember you saying that those heads need an adapter for some of the bigger reflector's. Is that right? And do you know what the adapter is called?

Thanks

I think it's just called the EL reflector adaptor, you can find it here

And just as a note the A heads are better suited for sports than the S heads, not a huge difference, but the A heads have a shorter duration...

Posted: Oct 12, 2010 at 21:50 Quote
there are pretty much three things I feel like I could add to my little arsenal to make it feel complete, including a prime somewhere between 24 and 35, a 3rd flash, and a 2nd body to hold another lens. I guss the 3rd flash is what I'm mostly interested in, considering it should make the most difference in how I'm setting up shots. I love using my Gary fong diffusers to flood a whole scene off camera. initially just having one off camera flash was difficult to work around. Having 2 strobes has definitely taken a lot of struggle out of lighting the scene, but still feel like I'm compensating for a missing angle. having 3 would be awesome... blah blah blah, DUHHHH! 10 would be even cooler... the more I have to set up, the more I keep my friends waiting to ride more of the trail! just talking to myself...

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 9:19 Quote
nickf wrote:
there are pretty much three things I feel like I could add to my little arsenal to make it feel complete, including a prime somewhere between 24 and 35, a 3rd flash, and a 2nd body to hold another lens. I guss the 3rd flash is what I'm mostly interested in, considering it should make the most difference in how I'm setting up shots. I love using my Gary fong diffusers to flood a whole scene off camera. initially just having one off camera flash was difficult to work around. Having 2 strobes has definitely taken a lot of struggle out of lighting the scene, but still feel like I'm compensating for a missing angle. having 3 would be awesome... blah blah blah, DUHHHH! 10 would be even cooler... the more I have to set up, the more I keep my friends waiting to ride more of the trail! just talking to myself...

3 is pretty much perfect for most shots. 3 lights allows you to have a backlight or a rim light, a main or key light, and a fill light. This creates really nice 3 dimensional lighting that can look really normal or really poppy depending on your ratios. It also allows you to hit almost all of you subject with flash which is important because if your flash is what's freezing your subject then any part of your subject that's not flash lit will be blurry. With two lights you're probably using them both in the front or to the side which is great but having that rim light at the back really helps to separate your subject from the background and also to freeze the edges of your subject. A 2nd body is a luxury until you start doing lots of commercial work and need to have a spare or shooting events for a living where you need two out at once. Most of the time I take 2 or 3 bodies with me and end up using one of them. That's a lot of extra weight to carry around for nothing....


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039054
Mobile Version of Website