Strobists- Show and Tell

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Strobists- Show and Tell
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2010 at 9:32 Quote
IanHylands wrote:
nickf wrote:
there are pretty much three things I feel like I could add to my little arsenal to make it feel complete, including a prime somewhere between 24 and 35, a 3rd flash, and a 2nd body to hold another lens. I guss the 3rd flash is what I'm mostly interested in, considering it should make the most difference in how I'm setting up shots. I love using my Gary fong diffusers to flood a whole scene off camera. initially just having one off camera flash was difficult to work around. Having 2 strobes has definitely taken a lot of struggle out of lighting the scene, but still feel like I'm compensating for a missing angle. having 3 would be awesome... blah blah blah, DUHHHH! 10 would be even cooler... the more I have to set up, the more I keep my friends waiting to ride more of the trail! just talking to myself...

3 is pretty much perfect for most shots. 3 lights allows you to have a backlight or a rim light, a main or key light, and a fill light. This creates really nice 3 dimensional lighting that can look really normal or really poppy depending on your ratios. It also allows you to hit almost all of you subject with flash which is important because if your flash is what's freezing your subject then any part of your subject that's not flash lit will be blurry. With two lights you're probably using them both in the front or to the side which is great but having that rim light at the back really helps to separate your subject from the background and also to freeze the edges of your subject. A 2nd body is a luxury until you start doing lots of commercial work and need to have a spare or shooting events for a living where you need two out at once. Most of the time I take 2 or 3 bodies with me and end up using one of them. That's a lot of extra weight to carry around for nothing....
yeah, the 2nd body is definitely on the back burner compared to other things. It just came to mind when I realized how horriblly dirty my sensor is right now...I'm usually using a fill light and a backlight, using a flood diffuser and snoot

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 16:08 Quote
Have you guys seen the new "The Vagabond Mini™ Lithium" power packs from Alien Bees?
Beats draggin those 15 lb Vagabond IIs around !

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 at 18:57 Quote
jebster wrote:
Have you guys seen the new "The Vagabond Mini™ Lithium" power packs from Alien Bees?
Beats draggin those 15 lb Vagabond IIs around !

"Seen" will probably take a while, they're saying shipping in November which following the standard Paul Buff model actually means some time mid spring next year or so. They look pretty nice on paper though, although at full power 1200WS a recycle time of 7 seconds is pretty much useless for most shoots... Even if I only actually shoot one frame every 30 or 40 seconds trying to meter my lights etc would take forever if I had to wait that long between shots. And that doesn't need to be one light at 1250, it could just as easily be 2 or 3 lights at lower power. It does look like an awesome location power pack for extended hikes etc though, sometimes portability outweighs absolute performance.

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 14:49 Quote
Hi

Just started to take a serious interest in strobing and off camera flash.

Set up is

Canon 7D + battery grip
Tokina 11 - 16 f2.8
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 85mm f1.8
Sigma 100 - 300 f4
580 exII
Canon cp e4
Pocketwizards TT1 & TT5

Posted: Nov 6, 2010 at 17:14 Quote
anyone else have trouble with the lower mount breaking on a tt5 like me? humph... that plastic should be metal...

Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 2:02 Quote
nickf, I've read about the lower mount breaking, but its far too early foe me to comment yet.

I'll keep you posted though.

First images with the PW's yesterday - still got a bit of a learning curve, as I'm new to OCF - have a look.

Fabien Barel was giving lessons on the trails - I've put his name against the three images.

www.denis99.zenfolio.com

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 9:42 Quote
nickf wrote:
anyone else have trouble with the lower mount breaking on a tt5 like me? humph... that plastic should be metal...
Nick, I have a feeling you're better off with that mount being plastic. It's a breakaway easily replaceable piece, I go through shoes on pocket wizard Multimax's fairly often, and I used to break off the Nikon plastic shoes. They'd take about 10 minutes and about $5-$10 to replace. Now if something hits a flash and it breaks it's pretty much garbage, I've lost 2 Nikon SB800's that way. So while it may be a hassle when it breaks, it's also saving you a lot of money in the long run...
I haven't played with the TT5's enough for them to break yet but when they do I'll let you know what Pocket Wizard says about it.

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
IanHylands wrote:
nickf wrote:
Nick, I have a feeling you're better off with that mount being plastic. It's a breakaway easily replaceable piece, I go through shoes on pocket wizard Multimax's fairly often, and I used to break off the Nikon plastic shoes. They'd take about 10 minutes and about $5-$10 to replace. Now if something hits a flash and it breaks it's pretty much garbage, I've lost 2 Nikon SB800's that way. So while it may be a hassle when it breaks, it's also saving you a lot of money in the long run...
I haven't played with the TT5's enough for them to break yet but when they do I'll let you know what Pocket Wizard says about it.
awesome! so the lower mount is replacable by the consumer? that was half of my worry, that I'd have to mail it away to have it fixed. That'd be awesome if it's just a job for myself. thanks for the info.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 8:35 Quote
nickf wrote:
IanHylands wrote:
nickf wrote:
awesome! so the lower mount is replacable by the consumer? that was half of my worry, that I'd have to mail it away to have it fixed. That'd be awesome if it's just a job for myself. thanks for the info.
Contact Pocket Wizard and ask them about it. As I said I don't really have much experience with the TT5's yet. I do know several friends have had theirs replaced so it may also be a warranty issue or something similar. The guys at Pocket Wizard have always been very helpful for me...

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 at 14:15 Quote
IanHylands wrote:
nickf wrote:
IanHylands wrote:

Contact Pocket Wizard and ask them about it. As I said I don't really have much experience with the TT5's yet. I do know several friends have had theirs replaced so it may also be a warranty issue or something similar. The guys at Pocket Wizard have always been very helpful for me...
finally got around to contacting pocketwizard! haha. It wasn't a difficult process at all. I just didn't necessarily need the bottom shoe to work on the trigger because I usually use the 1/4th mounth when attatching to a light stand. the replacement shoe is $20. I got 2!

Posted: Jan 22, 2011 at 21:21 Quote
nickf wrote:
IanHylands wrote:
nickf wrote:

finally got around to contacting pocketwizard! haha. It wasn't a difficult process at all. I just didn't necessarily need the bottom shoe to work on the trigger because I usually use the 1/4th mounth when attatching to a light stand. the replacement shoe is $20. I got 2!

Wow, that's great to hear, a little pricey maybe, but not nearly as bad as it could be. I think my MultiMAX shoes were about $5 each but they're not TTL, only 3 pins...

Posted: Jan 23, 2011 at 21:37 Quote
My wizards are having serious range issues... time to give them a call

Posted: Feb 22, 2011 at 17:17 Quote
I know this shot isn't bike related, but I'm having a great time figuring out lighting setups and thought I would share this. For some aspects of this shot I have incorporated my homemade softboxes, made out of foam core board tinfoil and white fabric, as well as snoots made out of my kids black construction paper. I had the Novatron studio lights given to me by an old co-worker who was going to throw them out! Lucky for me he remembered I was getting into photography and gave me a call to see if I wanted them.

I was going for a textbook short lit shot here. This is my first go with my freshly built studio in my house. Tell me what you think. I want serious critiques!

Here is my setup for this shot.
Strobist info;

20+ year old Novatron 500 Studio lights
- Main Light: Full power, shoot through umbrella just out of frame camera left and slightly above models head.
- Fill Light: 2 stops below main bounced off umbrella behind and to the right of camera.

Canon Speedlights
- Kicker light: 580EXII speedlight @1/2 pwr through homemade Soft box (strip light) just behind model and camera right.
- Background light: 580EXII speedlight @1/8 pwr @24mm zoom on the ground behind model to just light it a bit.

Camera- Canon 1D MkIII
Lens- Canon 200mmf/2.8L II
Mini tt1 on Camera controlling 3 PW Plus II connected to Lights.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.041004
Mobile Version of Website