Pain in the hands and fingers

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Pain in the hands and fingers
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 4:45 Quote
Just like to put my 2c in as I hope it will help someone in the future ...

So a couple months ago after 4 days of pretty rough park riding where my hands pretty much seized ... I developed pain in my ring finger which came back during rides and also even when sitting at the desk at work.
It came to the point where my finger was going numb and I lost strength in both ring fingers.

What I believe was the case was improper bar position causing repetitive stress on the outside of my wrist which is where the ulnar nerve passes through. The ulnar nerve runs out to your pinky and ring finger. I could actually feel the presense/soreness of the nerve from the outside of my elbow, running down my forearm, through my palm and up the inside of my ring finger

Things I did to solve this problem:
- I rotated my bars forward just past neutral . I was running them wayy too rotated back.
- I rotated my brake levers up a bit.
- Coincidentally I bought new gloves (Sombrio Cartel) which have padding on the bottom corner of the palm (very small contributor)
- Tried to sleep with my arms straight and not bent as this stretches the nerve.
- Did a minute of nerve flossing exercises each day.
- Improved technique so I have a softer grip.
- Stop any weight lifting to do with gripping for a month (-- very important as I tried to "tough it out" which hindered my recovery)

To give some more insight, my bars and grips were the same before and after:
Spank Oozy Vibrocore with Oury Slip on Grips.

I also used to get alot of forearm pump which is gone now.
In relation to this, one big factor that attributed to this for me was shitty elbow pads.
I had the correct size Dainese Trail Skins 2 but they kept slipping down on very bumpy descents so I would try and tighten them more which caused more arm pump. I have since swapped to IXS Carve Evo+ with zero issues.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
anyone out there NOT have wrist problems that bike a lot?

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 17:44 Quote
I bike 3-4 times weekly, and my pain has mostly disappeared since switching to thicker (35mm) grips and larger rotors. Less vibration and squeezing make for happier hands & forearms.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 19:44 Quote
Sorry if this has been posted before, but one thing that is known to help with finger pain and numbness are TOGS. Heres the link:
https://togs.com/collections/togs-1/products/new-flex-togs

Ive been enjoying them, and I know of many other people who use them to stop hand pain and numbness.
Full Discloser I am supported by togs, but I would use their product regardless of them supporting me or not. I used to have some hand numbness on the uphills before, but since using togs I haven't had any.
Hope that helps

Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
gilesF wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but one thing that is known to help with finger pain and numbness are TOGS. Heres the link:

Ive been enjoying them, and I know of many other people who use them to stop hand pain and numbness.
Full Discloser I am supported by togs, but I would use their product regardless of them supporting me or not. I used to have some hand numbness on the uphills before, but since using togs I haven't had any.
Hope that helps

lmao my guy you didn't ride them before they sponsored you

Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 17:11 Quote
danelliott wrote:
gilesF wrote:

Hope that helps

lmao my guy you didn't ride them before they sponsored you

lmao i would have if i knew about them before Beer

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
If you google wrist tendinitis, even if that's not what you have, you will find a lot of good wrist stretches and exercises. Stretching helps and one thing you can buy for about $2.99 that helps me is one of those foam noodles for your swimming pool. Cut off a 10" piece and squeeze it doing about 3 set of 20. It does a great job of strengthening your wrist and i think it does a better job than those hand grip squeezers.

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 3:05 Quote
This is what helped me in the last few years:
- stiffer fork for downhill, it really helps when the trail are rough and fast, like hitting deep holes or braking bump at 40 km/h. I mean higher pressure or stiffer spring.
- powerful brakes (i'll add, with strong bite ) that allow you to not hold to them all the way down and let you ride properly, braking when only necessary. Powerful brake give you a ton less hand fatigue.
-brake lever angle. I find the flatter the lever are the less prone you are to suffer from arm pump, even though i find that having them really flat hinders mine technique, keeping me off the back of the bike. Too flat can also tire your hand and fingers a bit earlier. There is definitely a different sweet spot for eachone. So trying and thinkering with your brake lever angle and position is paramount.
-bar roll. I crashed at the bike park once, from then i suffered from severe ( i couldn't hang on for more than half a lap) hand and finger pain. A few weeks later i tryed to roll my bars more forward and it got rid of the pain instantly. I think the bar rolled back a bit during the crash without me noticing and that gave me pain in my palms. So i'll recommend try different bar positions (roll) to find the one that fits the best.
- bar itself. There are some bar that simply don't work very well with one's own body. Trying a new bar might help a bit.
- tire pressure, the lower the smoother your ride will be. Oddly enough i always find that rear tire pressure has a larger effect on damping vibrations than front tire pressure. Go for the lowest tire pressure you can ride with, without burpig or pinching every descent of course.
- suspension setup needs to be right for you.
- grips. I left grips for last because i think that if all the above are working and right grips make the slightest difference. They can help but they address the synptoms not the root of the issue (unless the issue comes from them directly).
These are what works and worked for me in the past, I hope it may help someone helse.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
I also have some similar problems. Also I had bad metabolism, big weight, poor sleep, weak immune system, etc..I went to the doctor and he prescribe HGH deficiency blood test and then growth hormone therapy. Now I'm feel much better!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019351
Mobile Version of Website