Pain in the hands and fingers

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Pain in the hands and fingers
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 at 4:45 Quote
Just like to put my 2c in as I hope it will help someone in the future ...

So a couple months ago after 4 days of pretty rough park riding where my hands pretty much seized ... I developed pain in my ring finger which came back during rides and also even when sitting at the desk at work.
It came to the point where my finger was going numb and I lost strength in both ring fingers.

What I believe was the case was improper bar position causing repetitive stress on the outside of my wrist which is where the ulnar nerve passes through. The ulnar nerve runs out to your pinky and ring finger. I could actually feel the presense/soreness of the nerve from the outside of my elbow, running down my forearm, through my palm and up the inside of my ring finger

Things I did to solve this problem:
- I rotated my bars forward just past neutral . I was running them wayy too rotated back.
- I rotated my brake levers up a bit.
- Coincidentally I bought new gloves (Sombrio Cartel) which have padding on the bottom corner of the palm (very small contributor)
- Tried to sleep with my arms straight and not bent as this stretches the nerve.
- Did a minute of nerve flossing exercises each day.
- Improved technique so I have a softer grip.
- Stop any weight lifting to do with gripping for a month (-- very important as I tried to "tough it out" which hindered my recovery)

To give some more insight, my bars and grips were the same before and after:
Spank Oozy Vibrocore with Oury Slip on Grips.

I also used to get alot of forearm pump which is gone now.
In relation to this, one big factor that attributed to this for me was shitty elbow pads.
I had the correct size Dainese Trail Skins 2 but they kept slipping down on very bumpy descents so I would try and tighten them more which caused more arm pump. I have since swapped to IXS Carve Evo+ with zero issues.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
anyone out there NOT have wrist problems that bike a lot?

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 17:44 Quote
I bike 3-4 times weekly, and my pain has mostly disappeared since switching to thicker (35mm) grips and larger rotors. Less vibration and squeezing make for happier hands & forearms.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 19:44 Quote
Sorry if this has been posted before, but one thing that is known to help with finger pain and numbness are TOGS. Heres the link:
https://togs.com/collections/togs-1/products/new-flex-togs

Ive been enjoying them, and I know of many other people who use them to stop hand pain and numbness.
Full Discloser I am supported by togs, but I would use their product regardless of them supporting me or not. I used to have some hand numbness on the uphills before, but since using togs I haven't had any.
Hope that helps

Posted: Sep 11, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
gilesF wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but one thing that is known to help with finger pain and numbness are TOGS. Heres the link:

Ive been enjoying them, and I know of many other people who use them to stop hand pain and numbness.
Full Discloser I am supported by togs, but I would use their product regardless of them supporting me or not. I used to have some hand numbness on the uphills before, but since using togs I haven't had any.
Hope that helps

lmao my guy you didn't ride them before they sponsored you

Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 17:11 Quote
danelliott wrote:
gilesF wrote:

Hope that helps

lmao my guy you didn't ride them before they sponsored you

lmao i would have if i knew about them before Beer

Posted: Dec 15, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
If you google wrist tendinitis, even if that's not what you have, you will find a lot of good wrist stretches and exercises. Stretching helps and one thing you can buy for about $2.99 that helps me is one of those foam noodles for your swimming pool. Cut off a 10" piece and squeeze it doing about 3 set of 20. It does a great job of strengthening your wrist and i think it does a better job than those hand grip squeezers.

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 at 3:05 Quote
This is what helped me in the last few years:
- stiffer fork for downhill, it really helps when the trail are rough and fast, like hitting deep holes or braking bump at 40 km/h. I mean higher pressure or stiffer spring.
- powerful brakes (i'll add, with strong bite ) that allow you to not hold to them all the way down and let you ride properly, braking when only necessary. Powerful brake give you a ton less hand fatigue.
-brake lever angle. I find the flatter the lever are the less prone you are to suffer from arm pump, even though i find that having them really flat hinders mine technique, keeping me off the back of the bike. Too flat can also tire your hand and fingers a bit earlier. There is definitely a different sweet spot for eachone. So trying and thinkering with your brake lever angle and position is paramount.
-bar roll. I crashed at the bike park once, from then i suffered from severe ( i couldn't hang on for more than half a lap) hand and finger pain. A few weeks later i tryed to roll my bars more forward and it got rid of the pain instantly. I think the bar rolled back a bit during the crash without me noticing and that gave me pain in my palms. So i'll recommend try different bar positions (roll) to find the one that fits the best.
- bar itself. There are some bar that simply don't work very well with one's own body. Trying a new bar might help a bit.
- tire pressure, the lower the smoother your ride will be. Oddly enough i always find that rear tire pressure has a larger effect on damping vibrations than front tire pressure. Go for the lowest tire pressure you can ride with, without burpig or pinching every descent of course.
- suspension setup needs to be right for you.
- grips. I left grips for last because i think that if all the above are working and right grips make the slightest difference. They can help but they address the synptoms not the root of the issue (unless the issue comes from them directly).
These are what works and worked for me in the past, I hope it may help someone helse.

Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
I just got back today after riding park and looking for help with finger pain that almost ended the day early. I’ve been riding for years and only experience this when riding the park...most notably when going over brake bumps at high speed. The pain is insane. I took 800mg halfway thru the day to see if it would help. It did a little but still dreaded any bumps. I think my form is fairly good...weight on pedals, loose grip, single finger braking, etc. I can’t figure it out. The pain seems specific to the “meat” in between the second and third knuckle. I love riding DH, but this is killing me. Had to stop every half mile or so to rest my hands. I have a brand new bike so the shocks are good. I’d give anything to figure this out. I was thinking taping the fingers where the pain is to reduce vibrations. Not sure that will help but willing to try anything.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 11:41 Quote
Troutin wrote:
I just got back today after riding park and looking for help with finger pain that almost ended the day early. I’ve been riding for years and only experience this when riding the park...most notably when going over brake bumps at high speed. The pain is insane. I took 800mg halfway thru the day to see if it would help. It did a little but still dreaded any bumps. I think my form is fairly good...weight on pedals, loose grip, single finger braking, etc. I can’t figure it out. The pain seems specific to the “meat” in between the second and third knuckle. I love riding DH, but this is killing me. Had to stop every half mile or so to rest my hands. I have a brand new bike so the shocks are good. I’d give anything to figure this out. I was thinking taping the fingers where the pain is to reduce vibrations. Not sure that will help but willing to try anything.

My man! Same thing here. Trestles killed me yesterday. I used to climb a lot, so I know I have strong tendons in my fingers, but I relaly need to figure this out because I can barely climb now.

Same spot, inbetween 2nd and 3rd knuckle in the meat, on the ring and middle finger.

Have you found any more good advice? I am going to set my seat farther back since I ride a Medium frame. Lower the compression and high LSC, 20% sag. As well as setting my levers more downward as they are close to horizontal. I don't think I can adjust the lever to be close to the bar which is a bummer. Any more ideas?

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 21:11 Quote
gman00910 wrote:
Troutin wrote:

My man! Same thing here. Trestles killed me yesterday. I used to climb a lot, so I know I have strong tendons in my fingers, but I relaly need to figure this out because I can barely climb now.

Same spot, inbetween 2nd and 3rd knuckle in the meat, on the ring and middle finger.

Have you found any more good advice? I am going to set my seat farther back since I ride a Medium frame. Lower the compression and high LSC, 20% sag. As well as setting my levers more downward as they are close to horizontal. I don't think I can adjust the lever to be close to the bar which is a bummer. Any more ideas?

Yes! Just got back from Trestle again today and here’s what I did...

After a ton of reaserch and a few days of finger pain, I think I figured out what was causing the issue. I’m a pretty tall guy with large hands. I ride ODI grips...the biggest I could find, but my hands are still too big. Basically what happens is there is a gap between my grip and the top part of my finger, so I’m pinching the grip between my palm and finger tips. It’s not bad for trail riding...never had the pain issue until I started DH. I was squeezing the bars super tight to keep control while going fast thru bumpy sections and it was wearing my fingers out. Bad. Pain was so bad.

Today, I taped my knuckles loosely with medical tape so the bend in my fingers was restricted. Super easy...took about a minute to do. When I was riding it kept my fingers from griping too tightly and was able to shred through sections that had me almost in tears last weekend. Rode all day hard and only started to feel that pain on my last few runs and it was still reduced.

I’m convinced it was my fingers were squeezing the bars too hard and just became super fatigued in bumpy sections. The tape made sooooo much difference. I think it’ll help me learn to keep a looser grip as well. I know we are supposed to keep a loose grip but it can be hard when those brake bumps hit at high speed. My natural reaction is to grip tighter.

Anyways, I hope this helps! I was grinning all day because I could finally ride like I wanted to and not hold back.

Posted: Sep 20, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
Troutin wrote:
gman00910 wrote:
Troutin wrote:

Yes! Just got back from Trestle again today and here’s what I

Today, I taped my knuckles loosely with medical tape so the bend in my fingers was restricted. Super easy...took about a minute to do. When I was riding it kept my fingers from griping too tightly and was able to shred through sections that had me almost in tears last weekend.

Mind posting or DMing pics of how you’re taping them? Thanks!

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
My arms and hands go numb after riding for a while because I have a pinched nerve in my neck. Because I have to tilt my head up while riding it pinches that nerve. I ended up getting handlebars that are higher than normal so I can ride more upright and not have to tilt my head back so much. It's not perfect but it certainly helps. Last week my wife and I rode our bikes across the GW bridge in New York City and then down the west side of Manhattan and I hardly had any numbness.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008171
Mobile Version of Website