Anyone Else In The UK Looking For More?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Anyone Else In The UK Looking For More?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 12:52 Quote
Is it just me or is there a severe lack of trails in the UK, i'm not saying that what we have isnt good or anything, its just you see all these videos of Canada and America and they all seem to have their own trails in there local woods, in the UK i know that just would happen thanks to the new chav/ned culture, but surely you are feeling the same way in that we need more freeride style trails and more beginner dh and freeride runs.

Sorry for the rant im just in that kind of mood Pimp

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 12:56 Quote
yeah the UK sucks pretty bad.

its too flat, and all the hills are full of walkers who complain.

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 12:59 Quote
Sadly, I think your problem arises from having a lot smaller chunk of dirt to build on than we do. And a lot more people per sq. mile.
More chavs per sq. mile too.Cool

FL
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:05 Quote
if only mountain biking was as recognised as a sport by the government as skateboarding and bmxing is....

then we would have loads of dedicated maintaind trails

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:05 Quote
shondo wrote:
Sadly, I think your problem arises from having a lot smaller chunk of dirt to build on than we do. And a lot more people per sq. mile.
More chavs per sq. mile too.Cool

Damn straight. Whitetux, if this is eating at you, and it sounds like it is - you better start planning an exit stratagy. Mine's in progress. And why's MTB not recognised as a sport? When I saw the DH at fort william on grandstand a few months back it definately seemed like a sport to me! The problem isnt a lack of recognition, it's a lack of mountainous terrain (and space).

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
Shondo is right on it, but look on the bright side: you have plenty of killer street to ride.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:21 Quote
Its not the lack of land that im bothered about, its the huge amount of forestry that sits empty and has a load of potential

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:24 Quote
we have the wrong trees too,
cause we were all idiots 50 years ago we took up all the native Oaks and Chesnut trees etc, we replaced them with crappy Fir trees and pine trees.

now they all grow too close to each other and you have to properly hack up the forest for even the crappest trail.

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:29 Quote
well up at banchory (aberdeen) we talked to the forestry and different landowners and formed a riders commitee. we discussed many options, including helping build better walker access just so we could have 3 tracks, green red and black.

what happened????????

it fell apart we now have no local trails worth riding, anything built gets trashed and now i have to travel 30 miles to get a decent dh track.

i hate forestry commission, the majority of the riders for quitting and best of all i hate the walkers.

rant over

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:36 Quote
Down here in cambridgeshire theres one place to go; Chicksands. Its good but once you've don eit all youve done it all. A severe lack of Good Beginner downhill is definately obvious since all the downhill tracks are in scotland (no offence intended) which to be quite frank is too far. Especially since Me and my friends dont drive and all our parents are stingy bastards and dont believe that what we do is serious. My parents think i'll quit biking in a few months. Well f*ck them, i started early this year and i didnt progress from jumping off curbs until i got my first decent bike which was 3 months ago... maybe 3 and a half. i think if there were a "Proving Ground" aka decent trails with DH potential then My parents would understand and stop nagging me to go and study for college. But the flat land is a problem... Canada or USA should lend us some soil Wink Nudge nudge Hehe

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:39 Quote
We managed to build a dh trail in our local(ish) woods which so far hasn't been destroyed by chavs or walkers (and you can see it pretty easily from a footpath). However, recently every time we go up there this angry farmer turns up on a quad and gives it the whole "get orfa maa laaand" thing, saying that our trail is on a SSSI (site of special scientific interest or something). We do now know that it is NOT and that mr farmer man is a just fun-hating mean face. Yet still, everytime we go he's there, with the same old argument as to why we shouldn't ride there. So yea, we shouldnt be worried about walkers or chavs, its them damn farmers we need to be on the look out for!

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:41 Quote
down here in swansea theres loads of trails an mountains. an if there is nower y dont u jus build sum northshore. thats wot we did. ill be putting sum pics of it if u wanna look

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:42 Quote
well when our tracks were running we had the most flowy track ever, (i pretty much gained all my skills on that track) then one day, this old man complained about the noise from our bikes. the next week the track was closed forever. we had a chat with the man, he was partially deaf

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:43 Quote
Although Chavs are a large problem in City trails. For example all the Smalltime trails ive ridden in london are frequently half destryed by chavs. But then it gives you a chance to re-do the lip etc on the DJs each time so theyre always fit to ride. Only about Half hours work each time you go. Build 'em dense enough the chavs can only break the surface. lol so heres to dense jumps!

Posted: Nov 13, 2007 at 13:44 Quote
mark-evans wrote:
well when our tracks were running we had the most flowy track ever, (i pretty much gained all my skills on that track) then one day, this old man complained about the noise from our bikes. the next week the track was closed forever. we had a chat with the man, he was partially deaf

Thats actually kind of amusing!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030843
Mobile Version of Website