How do you measure to get the size of stem you need?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How do you measure to get the size of stem you need?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
I screwed over my stem and snapped the bolts on the inside ( complete idiot part on my side) and i was wondering how you measure the steer tube to find to size of stem you need. like from the inside or outside edge of the steer tube. or what ? PLEASE help me out.. i'm useless without my bike

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
if you go to a bike shop and just ask them for 2 stems to compare to ure steerer tube you will see the MASSIVE difference between 1.5 and 1 1/8...
I believe it is measured from the outside though...
That would make sense, because if it was from the inside people could make the walls wider and headsets would have no guide as to how big they should be etc etc....

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
BTW just checked out ure pics of ure bike...if its the red one, then ure 1 1/8...

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
nishnash wrote:
BTW just checked out ure pics of ure bike...if its the red one, then ure 1 1/8...

yah but when i was looking around they said the sizes were like 28.5 mm and when i measured from the outside edge it was 28.5mm what do you mean by 1 1\8 like that's inches ?

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
yeh, nobody measures steerer tube sizes in mm, Handle bars are mm, steerer tubes are inches.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
yeah thats inches, but my steerer is also 28.5mm, so ask for a stem that size, i think handlebars are pretty much all the same though??

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
yeah thats inches, but my steerer is also 28.5mm, so ask for a stem that size, i think handlebars are pretty much all the same though??
24.5 and 31.8....again a really big visible difference. thats only Stem clamp diameter though, the outer ends (where the grips and brakes and stuff go) are all the same size.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
nishnash wrote:
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
24.5 and 31.8....again a really big visible difference. thats only Stem clamp diameter though, the outer ends (where the grips and brakes and stuff go) are all the same size.

is the stem clamp meaning where the bars go ? how do i measure that now

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:16 Quote
sorry i should have said Bar clamp (where bars are clamped) and steerer clamp (where the steerer tube is clamped)
Measure that on the inside of the stem...

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
nishnash wrote:
sorry i should have said Bar clamp (where bars are clamped) and steerer clamp (where the steerer tube is clamped)
Measure that on the inside of the stem...

i got 29.5 mm bar clamp
and
1 1\8 steer

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:21 Quote
What type of bars and stem do u have now? 29.5 doesnt exist in the normal world of standards lol

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
nishnash wrote:
What type of bars and stem do u have now? 29.5 doesnt exist in the normal world of standards lol

i bought the bike from friend. so the stem is prolly the original off the bike and the bars are ultra OS profile design lol

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:27 Quote
Ok that bar is a 31.8 bar-clamp size aka "Over-sized" or "OS"
So you would be looking at a stem that is 1 1/8 Steerer with a 31.8 bar clamp

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 10:28 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Ok that bar is a 31.8 bar-clamp size aka "Over-sized" or "OS"
So you would be looking at a stem that is 1 1/8 Steerer with a 31.8 bar clamp

okay man , thanks so much haha. i don't know much

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010043
Mobile Version of Website