Steerer Tube

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
What happens when your an idiot and cut the steerer tube too short ? Is it easy to fix ?Madder

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
get a new steer tube pressed in..

nice one btw

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:12 Quote
how much is that usually

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:15 Quote
contact your LBS and ask.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 16:45 Quote
How "too" short was it cut? Could a lower stack stem work or spacers be removed? Those would be far cheaper that purchasing a new CSU.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 20:42 Quote
look for a lower stacked headset. and a low stack stem that has an evenly spaced contact area the whole way round and up the inside, not just at the top and bottom where the tension bolts are, this for a more secure grip if the steerer is not quite long enough.
this can get you difference of 15mm

i have seen these steerer lengtheners but they often require some work on the grinder to fit into the thinker steerers we see these days. plus i dont know if you could trust them. personaslly i would at least give it a go. you'll know soon enough if it cant be trusted.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
thanks. ill see what the shop says. also... on my other bike. there is a slight clicking sound in the steerer tube. it moves like a mm. i'll tighten the top bolt, then itll seem to be fixed until i notice it again when im done my ride. its like the bolt comes loose or something... do i need a new star nut ?

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 0:39 Quote
There`s an option to shorten your headtube a bit, so the steer tube will fit, but that voids your warranty and it`s not always possible to do

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 5:38 Quote
downhillseeker wrote:
do i need a new star nut ?

That's a safe place to start if you're having an issue with your headset since they're so cheap.

DannyOne wrote:
There`s an option to shorten your headtube a bit, so the steer tube will fit, but that voids your warranty and it`s not always possible to do

I wouldn't say that's an option so much as an idea. If the faces of the upper and lower headtube aren't paralell then the bearings aren't going to sit right. There's far too much of a risk involved when there are fairly cheap alternatives.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
its a 1.5 headtube and a 1.5 steerer tube. i just dont know why it just doesnt fit properly

Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
i didnt feel like starting a new thread so I was just wondering how much does it usually cost to get a new steerer tube pressed in. the steerer tube of an argyle to be exact

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2009 at 18:32 Quote
chriss- wrote:
i didnt feel like starting a new thread so I was just wondering how much does it usually cost to get a new steerer tube pressed in. the steerer tube of an argyle to be exact

contact your LBS and ask.

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 at 1:57 Quote
The crown and stanchions of every Marzocchi single crown fork are assembled by a process called Cryofit. The Cryofit process is based on the simple principle that metal alloys expand when heated and contract when cooled. By taking advantage of this characteristic, we are able to make a bond between crown and stanchion that is much stronger than any other conventional method. The entire process is performed by our robotic machine, which our Industrial Division designed specifically for us. The process begins by checking the exact tolerances of every crown and stanchion. The stanchion tubes are then placed in a cryogenic tank of liquid nitrogen to cool and shrink, while the crown is placed in an oven to heat and expand. After pressing these three components together (two stanchions and one crown) and allowing the material to return to room temperature, the three components are nearly welded together providing superb strength and stiffness.

Just to let you know.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2009 at 2:02 Quote
downhillseeker wrote:
its a 1.5 headtube and a 1.5 steerer tube. i just dont know why it just doesnt fit properly
Maybe the headtube needs to be faced?

Posted: Jul 22, 2009 at 19:20 Quote
chriss- wrote:

it probablly wouldnt be that expensive....30 dollars tops for everything.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012729
Mobile Version of Website