General excercise

• Previous Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
So i basically never really excercised/worked out in my life, just the odd time i go to the weight room at school. I mainly just want to start running every morning and work out every couple days.
My question is, how far should i start out with running and how much to increase the distance by at the end of each week or second week say?
I dont think i need to start out low because i already have a fairly strong and athletic body just from biking and playing other sports for like the last 10 years. I just want to do it to burn fat and build a little more muscle in my upper body.
And another question i have is what kind of healthy foods that i should eat exactly, like salads? chicken?
Any help here is greatly appreciated.
edit: also i weigh about 160lbs and im 5'8" if that helps at all.

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 11:50 Quote
just run for time instead of distance
i can run/jog 11.3 km but it wouldnt be as satisfying as running for 2.5 hours

as for weight lifting, go to the gym 3-5 times a week ad ask around for tips.
do different body parts for each day
for example
day 1 : chest and bicep
day 2 : shoulders and back
day 3 : quads, calfs and abs
day 4 : triceps, chest, and either shuolder or bicep

some combinations work better than others. like it would make sense to work chest and bicep together instead of say, chest and calfs.

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
If you bike already then running may not be as beneficial as some strength training. I'd steer clear of the bodybuilder inspired advice like bodypart splits, using machines and doing 3 sets of 10 reps, though. That advice is designed to add muscle mass, not increase strength and make you a better rider.

To be honest, your best route would be to start with the bodyweight workout you can sign up for on my blog at www.bikejames.com. It addresses the movement patterns you need to be a better rider and will help you master your bodyweight, which is the first step in developing real athletic strength. You'll also find info on nutrition and other fitness subjects as they relate to mountain biking.

If you do want to run I'd suggest sprinting as that will open you up and work your hips better than jogging will, plus it will burn fat better than jogging.

Hope this helps...

Ride Strong,

James Wilson
MTB Strength Training Systems

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
mtbstrengthcoach wrote:
If you do want to run I'd suggest sprinting as that will...burn fat better than jogging.

can you explain this assertion please?

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 12:31 Quote
raveglia wrote:
mtbstrengthcoach wrote:
If you do want to run I'd suggest sprinting as that will...burn fat better than jogging.

can you explain this assertion please?

i think he means that you should include somewhere during your run, a short sprint where you run as fast as you can until fatigue. Doing so every so often. My fitness coach explained something similar.

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
Oldsouth wrote:

for example

some combinations work better than others. like it would make sense to work chest and bicep together instead of say, chest and calfs.

Thats what i was thinking cuz as of now where i run it only takes me about 12 mins(starting out) and i dont think thats enough for me. And then i can just work up by 10 mins or so every two weeks.

For the weight lifting, i have access to a local gym but it requires a membership which is like 300 something bucks for six months and i dont have that kind of money. but i do have weights here at home that i can use.

I ride my bike 2 - 4 days a week so i dont really need to work my legs. I mainly just want to do work outs that will target my chest, abs, biceps, back and shoulders. So mostly just my upper body.

Oh yea, and i ride a bmx so i dont know if its as strength demanding as like freeriding/trail riding?

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 15:08 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
Oldsouth wrote:

for example

Thats what i was thinking cuz as of now where i run it only takes me about 12 mins(starting out) and i dont think thats enough for me. And then i can just work up by 10 mins or so every two weeks.

For the weight lifting, i have access to a local gym but it requires a membership which is like 300 something bucks for six months and i dont have that kind of money. but i do have weights here at home that i can use.

I ride my bike 2 - 4 days a week so i dont really need to work my legs. I mainly just want to do work outs that will target my chest, abs, biceps, back and shoulders. So mostly just my upper body.

Oh yea, and i ride a bmx so i dont know if its as strength demanding as like freeriding/trail riding?

300 dollars for 6 months?
my gym is 300 dollars for a year and i have access to all the building's facilities, not just the weight room.

also you have to work out your legs as well otherwise your body will be un-proportional. you don't want a super buff body with barbie doll legs

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 22:04 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
Oldsouth wrote:

for example

*edit: HIIT being high intensity interval training, sprint for 30sec, jog for 1 min kind of thing

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU DO ONE THING PROPERLY IN YOUR LIFE, DO THIS RIGHT. WORK YOUR LEGS!!! IE HAVE A LEG DAY

For you a full body split might be the best option. Something maybe 3 days a week, each day do 4 sets of a compound movement for each major muscle group, those being quads, hamstrings, chest, shoulders and back. Doing something like HIIT might be a better option than running, it tends to be better for burning fat and improving your endurance over short and moderate distances

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 5:57 Quote
What was stated earlier in this thread is categorically wrong.

Sprinting works fast twitch muscle fibers (ie explosive strength). it is anaerobic exercise. your muscles burn their glycogen stores.

jogging long distances tones slow-twitch muscle fibers (ie endurance). this is aerobic exercise. your muscles burn up their glycogen stores then continue working by burning fat.

just thought i'd set us all straight seeing as the forum's resident nutrition and workout professional is straight-up wrong.

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
raveglia wrote:

Sprinting works fast twitch muscle fibers (ie explosive strength). it is anaerobic exercise. your muscles burn their glycogen stores.

jogging long distances tones slow-twitch muscle fibers (ie endurance). this is aerobic exercise. your muscles burn up their glycogen stores then continue working by burning fat.

just thought i'd set us all straight seeing as the forum's resident nutrition and workout professional is straight-up wrong.

Sorry but I am not wrong - aerobic exercise does not burn more fat, it burns more of its calories as a percentage of fat.
Intervals burn more overall calories, especially when you add in the EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption), which also adds up to more fat calories. It's like this - would you rather have 60% of $100 or 40% of $1000?

Aerobic exercise also releases cortisol which burns muscle tissue which slows your metabolism. Inervals stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers which improves their insulin sensitivity, which is important for fat burning, and it does not burn muscle tissue which aerobic exercise does.

This is one of the reasons I hesitate to post on these forums - whoever this is has not kept up with the latest in sports sciences, has probably never trained anyone and yet will come on here and try to call my advice out.

Please, if you have no clue how to train someone and have not read anything other than Muscle and Fitness don't play this "arm chair strength coach" game.

Do a search on google for intervals and fat loss and you'll find a ton of info supporting my claims. I don't just make this stuff up...

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 19:30 Quote
mtbstrengthcoach wrote:
raveglia wrote:

Sorry but I am not wrong - aerobic exercise does not burn more fat, it burns more of its calories as a percentage of fat.
Intervals burn more overall calories, especially when you add in the EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption), which also adds up to more fat calories. It's like this - would you rather have 60% of $100 or 40% of $1000?

Aerobic exercise also releases cortisol which burns muscle tissue which slows your metabolism. Inervals stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers which improves their insulin sensitivity, which is important for fat burning, and it does not burn muscle tissue which aerobic exercise does.

This is one of the reasons I hesitate to post on these forums - whoever this is has not kept up with the latest in sports sciences, has probably never trained anyone and yet will come on here and try to call my advice out.

Please, if you have no clue how to train someone and have not read anything other than Muscle and Fitness don't play this "arm chair strength coach" game.

Do a search on google for intervals and fat loss and you'll find a ton of info supporting my claims. I don't just make this stuff up...

Excess calories = fat gain.

A deficit in calories = fat loss.

End of story.

On that note anaerobic activity will burn more calories. When you're doing aerobic activity you burn calories for the duration of the activity. When you perform anaerobic activity you burn calories long after the activity because your body is repairing itself and neutralizing metabolic wastes produced from the activity.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
Don't start running unless you combine it with a core workout 2-3 times a week or you'll end up paying through the nose for physio. Bodyweight exercises won't cost you a penny

It's already been said but run for time, not distance. Mix things up a bit so maybe:

45 mins jog
30 mins tempo run (fast but not a sprint)
Sprint/hill reps
30 mins easy jog
1hr jog

...with rest days scattered throughout. Read up on heart rate zones and maybe invest in a monitor, you'll quickly realise you don't have to destroy yourself every session to get benefit from it and it will also give you an objective measure of progress. Swimming is good if you can't bring yourself to go for a run

If you do go to the gym don't be one of the chumps who does 6 bench press variations and 1000 curls then goes home

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
Why do you need a core workout to run?

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
you dont need a core workout, but as you do more cardio you loose muscle mass.
it depends on if you want to be lean or super bulk

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013703
Mobile Version of Website