Hop Whip?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Hop Whip?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
GangstaBoi wrote:
aaron ross' tutorial.... bunny hop really high and kick the bike then land on the pedals

you forgot to add in "make shure to be really sketchy" lol

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 21:54 Quote
i would just keep doing them out of smaller and smaller banks, thats how im working on my tuck no handers(full extention) so i can do them of drops and such

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 21:56 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
i would just keep doing them out of smaller and smaller banks, thats how im working on my tuck no handers(full extention) so i can do them of drops and such

matt mcduff wanna be Razz

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
the-ultimate-cyclist wrote:
xt-shreder wrote:

matt mcduff wanna be Razz
its macduff, and to be honest not really, hes a huge hack and im pretty sure iv got him on wall rides and vaders

Posted: Jul 24, 2009 at 6:56 Quote
alright i hope this helps

technique:

1. hop reasonably high, but not uncomfortably high.
2. right as your bike leaves the ground, start to kick it around
2.5. you don't need to kick any harder than on a normal tailwhip
3. start to swing the bike around with your arms
3.5. you will need to swing it harder than a normal tailwhip - in effort to get it around faster
4. as the whip is about half-way spun, you should be around the peak of your hop
5. **this is the most important step** once you reach the peak, you need to get your bars as low down as possible. the lower you can get them the easier it's going to be to land. when i do them, my hands are at about knee level when the whip is half-way spun. once it's 3/4 spun, my hands are just below my knees.
6. you need to tuck your knees up more than you do for a fly-out whip.
7. if you've got your bike far enough under you, catching the pedals should be no different than a real tailwhip.

in summary:

hop comfortably high, use the same kick force as a normal tailwhip, swing your arms harder, keep your bars as far down as possible, tuck your knees higher than a normal whip, catch the pedals no differently than you would on a normal tailwhip

video (with slow-mo)

Views: 390    Faves: 0    Comments: 2

the one with the blue bike was my first one, and the other one was filmed like a week ago

more tips:

1. the faster you go the easier it will be. (within reason ... don't bomb a hill and then try a hop whip at the bottom) basically, if you take a few cranks before you do it, you'll find it easier than trying it with out even moving.

2. practice, practice, practice. it's kind of frustrating how long it takes to learn hop whips, but it's one of those tricks that once you get them, you've got them.

3. doing it into banks is 10x easier than on flat. i landed my first one into a bank, and could do them into banks for a few months before i got them completely flat.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
Thanks dude! I'm so much closer to landing them now. Best advice yet.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012340
Mobile Version of Website