How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz

PB Forum :: Downhill
How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
im needing help downhill/race whipping coz i cant do it . its a cool looking thing and i would love to be able to achieve this target. anyone got any vids or tips to help me

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:10 Quote
i dont about downhill, but a normal whip you just turn your bars really hard one way and straighten then out, and pull your bike back in with your knees

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
the way i do it (kinda, haha). is... well you know how you kind of puch into the jump and boost to get bigger air? i push into the jump and then spring out to way side a little bit. i try to use my rear sus. to almost shot me a little sideways in the air. i dont think this is really the 'proper' way but it works for me. hope that helps.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
pop off the hip and throw the rear end sideways. Dont worry about bending the rim Smile

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
i will try

anyone got any vids to help me

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
turning your bars wont whip the bike, thats just turning the bars.

to whip you have to get your riding position slightly to the side of the bike and push your inside (non drive side) leg back on the pedal while in the air, turning your shoulders and upper body in the opposite direction.

this pushes the bike in two directions at once, giving you the whip effect. pulling the bike back and using your outside leg to bring the pedals back in line will ensure you have a safe landing

make sure you have time to pull it though, a second or two's hang time is needed otherwise you will land sideways and out of balance and thats going to hurt.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
xcrisx wrote:
turning your bars wont whip the bike, thats just turning the bars.

to whip you have to get your riding position slightly to the side of the bike and push your inside (non drive side) leg back on the pedal while in the air, turning your shoulders and upper body in the opposite direction.

this pushes the bike in two directions at once, giving you the whip effect. pulling the bike back and using your outside leg to bring the pedals back in line will ensure you have a safe landing

make sure you have time to pull it though, a second or two's hang time is needed otherwise you will land sideways and out of balance and thats going to hurt.
if you're running a DC then all you have to do is turn the bahs.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
thats not a whip though, thats just turning the bike a little sideways in the air.

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
dh-pete wrote:

agreed tup

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
i find looking in the direction i want to whip helps alot. like looking at first to the left to get the bike out then looking back to the right to get it back in. dunno if this makes sense haha but its how i whip

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 15:51 Quote
I say its not all in the hips, but all in the bars. I usually do motos or scrub whips, and you start by turning the bars in the direction you want your back end, then turn your shoulders, and the rest should follow, then repeat in the oppisite direction to land.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 4:24 Quote
thats wat im trying to do. motor whips / scrubs

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:12 Quote
This vid of Danny Hart https://www.vimeo.com/3919684 shows some good examples of how to whip at 1:58 2:31 into the video. Seems to be using the bars and body position to achieve the move.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 4:43 Quote
Anyone else have anything to add to this? Trying to get proper moto whips myself, and after watching so many over and over I think that the proper good looking ones are done with the back leg on the bike being on the forward side of the bike facing the tranny when whipped out sideways in order to help bring the bike back in. Make sense? The comfortable way for me to whip is to have the backwards leg behind the bike when whipped sideways as I think that naturally has a feeling of pushing the bike out...but its not so good for bringing it back in. Any tips from people who can do it properly, how do you whip the bike out with the backwards leg/foot being on the outside of the bike? Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009771
Mobile Version of Website