How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz

PB Forum :: Downhill
How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 2:54 Quote
what is it!!! how do u do that

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 3:20 Quote
watch some moto guys do it as it is a "moto" whip and they have longer air time so they can do it slower. here is 2 vids i found Wink

Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 4:03 Quote
In my personal experience, i use my body and turn the bars to get the back end out, then use my back foot to bring it back in, but it can't be called a whip if you dont bring it all the way back, and once again, it's what feels best for you and you just gotta keep practicing that

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 15:42 Quote
Sorry to drag up this old thread but I was looking for tips on whipping - any of you guys mastered it yet? Got tips for anybody trying to learn?

I should probably ask my mate for some tips - I dug up this video of him whipping in Les Gets this summer, then slowed it down... then slowed it down some more, hope this helps some people (and me!).

Looks like a lot of the movement comes from the hips - and as suggested he whips it out with his back foot forward (if that makes sense) and straightens up by pushing the backend around with his back foot. Enough rambling - watch.

Views: 4,606    Faves: 4    Comments: 0

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 19:08 Quote
spoonyman wrote:
Sorry to drag up this old thread but I was looking for tips on whipping - any of you guys mastered it yet? Got tips for anybody trying to learn?

I should probably ask my mate for some tips - I dug up this video of him whipping in Les Gets this summer, then slowed it down... then slowed it down some more, hope this helps some people (and me!).

Looks like a lot of the movement comes from the hips - and as suggested he whips it out with his back foot forward (if that makes sense) and straightens up by pushing the backend around with his back foot. Enough rambling - watch.

Views: 4,606    Faves: 4    Comments: 0

Forgive me if I'm wrong, as I'm a noob at this stuff too. I think what is illustrated in this video is a turndown (not to be confused with the turndown trick from DJ/BMX where you turn your bars backwards), or a "scrub", often used by DH racers. As you can see, he doesn't "pop" too much off the lip, so his forward speed doesn't decrease too much. I've been trying to practice these myself, so here's how I've been doing them.

- Figure out which side to whip - I am right-foot forward, so my instructions are for that... if you are left-foot forward, just reverse these
- As you approach the lip of the jump, start to lean the bike over to the right (i.e. right side of the bike facing the ground), at the same time turning the bars to the right slightly
- When airborne, your bike will be leaning to the right. Turn the bars down (to the right) even more, towards the ground
- When you turn your bars, the back-end will automatically follow
- As you approach the landing, turn the bars back towards the left, so the front end points forward. This movement will start to un-lean the bike as well
- Keep your body facing forward, and use your back foot (left for me) to push the bike back to straight

My problem right now is that I still land quite sideways. But as long as the front-end is pointing the right way, it's all good. I'm sure I don't do it all that well, but that's been my learning curve so far. Hope that helps.

EDIT: oh, try practicing on really WIDE jumps with really WIDE landings... I find I go off course quite often trying this!

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 19:40 Quote
andrew4818 wrote:
watch some moto guys do it as it is a "moto" whip and they have longer air time so they can do it slower. here is 2 vids i found Wink

also moto whips are bigger cuz they use the engine to get the whip started...so that helps quite a bit

Posted: Apr 23, 2010 at 14:23 Quote
Here you go:http:
//www.pinkbike.com/video/134120/

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 17:20 Quote
no afense to all the other posts but i personally dont think its about the legs... if u use your legs, it meand that your bike is rotating around the headset (which means that it will ne hard to pull the bike back in and push out). On the other hand, if you rotata around your hips / legs you will find it a lot easier to maneuver the bike underneath you. so.. try this..
1- completley forget about your legs for the time being..
2- as you roll off the take off ramp, just practise turning your handlebars untill your tripple forks hit your frame, then turn them back. do this a few times (dont try to whip).
3- then try this, as soon as you leave the take off ramp, turn your bars untill the forks hit the frame (at a fast speed), then roll your shoulders in the direction you turned your handlebars (this includes your head). make sure you arent pushing with your legs at all. then turn your handle bars back and land. (your rear wheel will be out slightly but just leave it there.
4- do the first two steps again (and make sure your shoulder rolling movement is aggressive as possible). then roll your shoulders back to their origional position whilst turning the handlebars back. You will start to notice a smooth movement coming through, and eventually you will be doing one smooth movement and your whips will get bigger and bigger.

oh and make sure you dont kick out with your legs as it will ruin the movement. The whole idea is to rotate around your body, not the headset of the bike.

Posted: May 28, 2010 at 17:49 Quote
ham-ham wrote:
no afense to all the other posts but i personally dont think its about the legs... if u use your legs, it meand that your bike is rotating around the headset (which means that it will ne hard to pull the bike back in and push out). On the other hand, if you rotata around your hips / legs you will find it a lot easier to maneuver the bike underneath you. so.. try this..
1- completley forget about your legs for the time being..
2- as you roll off the take off ramp, just practise turning your handlebars untill your tripple forks hit your frame, then turn them back. do this a few times (dont try to whip).
3- then try this, as soon as you leave the take off ramp, turn your bars untill the forks hit the frame (at a fast speed), then roll your shoulders in the direction you turned your handlebars (this includes your head). make sure you arent pushing with your legs at all. then turn your handle bars back and land. (your rear wheel will be out slightly but just leave it there.
4- do the first two steps again (and make sure your shoulder rolling movement is aggressive as possible). then roll your shoulders back to their origional position whilst turning the handlebars back. You will start to notice a smooth movement coming through, and eventually you will be doing one smooth movement and your whips will get bigger and bigger.

oh and make sure you dont kick out with your legs as it will ruin the movement. The whole idea is to rotate around your body, not the headset of the bike.
This guy knows what he's talking about

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 2:46 Quote
I actually did my first proper whip the other day!

I was actually just going for a tweak/bar turn! Like this guy said, the movement comes from your shoulders not your legs! My whip was almost accidental, I tweaked right and the back end stepped out to the other side, so I tweaked left and it brought the backend back in line! The movement should start in your shoulders and you should be able to feel your whole body twisting through to your hips...

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 10:04 Quote
spoonyman wrote:

I was actually just going for a tweak/bar turn! Like this guy said, the movement comes from your shoulders not your legs! My whip was almost accidental, I tweaked right and the back end stepped out to the other side, so I tweaked left and it brought the backend back in line! The movement should start in your shoulders and you should be able to feel your whole body twisting through to your hips...

Sound like you're getting it! One thing to remember when you're learning any trick is, once you do it right, do it again right emmediatly after so you don't forget. This is also true when you hit a scary jump for the first time, other wise you come back later on and its even harder.

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 12:47 Quote
dirtmonkey1 wrote:
spoonyman wrote:

Sound like you're getting it! One thing to remember when you're learning any trick is, once you do it right, do it again right emmediatly after so you don't forget. This is also true when you hit a scary jump for the first time, other wise you come back later on and its even harder.

This... except when you look at something for ages and then it turns out it's much easier than you were expecting and wonder why you were pussying for so long!

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 13:15 Quote
what i dont get is when i go to whip i end up landing on the side of the jump and near the flat side. am i turning my bars to early on the jump or am i trying to rotate the frame too much?

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
C00KIE wrote:
what i dont get is when i go to whip i end up landing on the side of the jump and near the flat side. am i turning my bars to early on the jump or am i trying to rotate the frame too much?

Sounds like you might be doing a mini transfer as you whip. I used to do this all the time and doesn't help you whip. Just remember to wait till you're leaving the lip before you start moving your bike around.

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 22:11 Quote
if u want me to make a wee video il make one within the next few days or so.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018505
Mobile Version of Website