How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz

PB Forum :: Downhill
How do u downhill whip? vids or tips plz
Posted: May 29, 2010 at 23:06 Quote
is it not safe to say that getting out there and just practicing is the best way to learn? it will come eventually.

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 23:12 Quote
gooieshred wrote:
is it not safe to say that getting out there and just practicing is the best way to learn? it will come eventually.

nah dude.. without the proper tecniuqe thers no point.. u need to know wot ur tryin to do properly before u go and try huge whips

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 23:15 Quote
ham-ham wrote:
gooieshred wrote:

nah dude.. without the proper tecniuqe thers no point.. u need to know wot ur tryin to do properly before u go and try huge whips

ya but not all beginners are trying to do huge whips off the get go. i started small just by following and watching some better riders and kept going bigger and bigger, now i have a pretty legit whip. (most of the time hahaha)

Posted: May 29, 2010 at 23:38 Quote
weak whips on a tiny jump but you'll get the idea
Views: 4,256    Faves: 30    Comments: 13

Posted: May 30, 2010 at 3:42 Quote
gooieshred wrote:
ham-ham wrote:
gooieshred wrote:

ya but not all beginners are trying to do huge whips off the get go. i started small just by following and watching some better riders and kept going bigger and bigger, now i have a pretty legit whip. (most of the time hahaha)

And the video(s) will help riders who don't have anybody to follow Razz

Posted: May 31, 2010 at 3:24 Quote
found this vid, may help...
http://video.mpora.com/watch/eoCXjQnrF/

should run a comp to see who can make the best instructional vid for whips and tabos. someone should surely be able to beat the above effort

Posted: May 31, 2010 at 4:06 Quote
move your hip. really hard to explain but the best thing to do is try and teach yourself.

Posted: May 31, 2010 at 6:33 Quote
billcolwill wrote:
move your hip. really hard to explain but the best thing to do is try and teach yourself.

I think moving the hips is the general consensus of the thread... I THINK the trick is to get a fluid/flowy motion though, not just to start swinging your hips around Razz

From what I've gathered from the thread/internet videos/my personal whip learning is that the motion should be along the lines of:

Shoulders --> torso/core --> hips

For some smooth whippy action! My first whips were actually a little accidental as I kicked the back end out slightly by doing big bar turns/tweaks... I then progressed these by bar turning the other way to bring the back end straight again. Now I'm working on making them bigger and a little smoother (for more style Razz ).

Although the last thing I've learned is that there isn't a single way to whip correctly - many people use slightly different techniques to get the bike sideways... I guess go with what works for you, but hip movement does seem to be common throughout.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 17:55 Quote
ham-ham wrote:
no afense to all the other posts but i personally dont think its about the legs... if u use your legs, it meand that your bike is rotating around the headset (which means that it will ne hard to pull the bike back in and push out). On the other hand, if you rotata around your hips / legs you will find it a lot easier to maneuver the bike underneath you. so.. try this..
1- completley forget about your legs for the time being..
2- as you roll off the take off ramp, just practise turning your handlebars untill your tripple forks hit your frame, then turn them back. do this a few times (dont try to whip).
3- then try this, as soon as you leave the take off ramp, turn your bars untill the forks hit the frame (at a fast speed), then roll your shoulders in the direction you turned your handlebars (this includes your head). make sure you arent pushing with your legs at all. then turn your handle bars back and land. (your rear wheel will be out slightly but just leave it there.
4- do the first two steps again (and make sure your shoulder rolling movement is aggressive as possible). then roll your shoulders back to their origional position whilst turning the handlebars back. You will start to notice a smooth movement coming through, and eventually you will be doing one smooth movement and your whips will get bigger and bigger.

oh and make sure you dont kick out with your legs as it will ruin the movement. The whole idea is to rotate around your body, not the headset of the bike.

You lost me there man.

thats not the greatest idea.

turning off a jump usually means your going to land in a bush.

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
odin333 wrote:
ham-ham wrote:
no afense to all the other posts but i personally dont think its about the legs... if u use your legs, it meand that your bike is rotating around the headset (which means that it will ne hard to pull the bike back in and push out). On the other hand, if you rotata around your hips / legs you will find it a lot easier to maneuver the bike underneath you. so.. try this..
2- as you roll off the take off ramp, just practise turning your handlebars untill your tripple forks hit your frame, then turn them back. do this a few times (dont try to whip).
3- then try this, as soon as you leave the take off ramp, turn your bars untill the forks hit the frame (at a fast speed), then roll your shoulders in the direction you turned your handlebars (this includes your head). make sure you arent pushing with your legs at all. then turn your handle bars back and land. (your rear wheel will be out slightly but just leave it there.
4- do the first two steps again (and make sure your shoulder rolling movement is aggressive as possible). then roll your shoulders back to their origional position whilst turning the handlebars back. You will start to notice a smooth movement coming through, and eventually you will be doing one smooth movement and your whips will get bigger and bigger.

oh and make sure you dont kick out with your legs as it will ruin the movement. The whole idea is to rotate around your body, not the headset of the bike.

You lost me there man.

im making a video this weekend so yeah

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 11:13 Quote
ham-ham wrote:
odin333 wrote:
ham-ham wrote:

You lost me there man.

im making a video this weekend so yeah

I whip exactly the same way as you. Turn the bars into the frame as you go off the jump (creating tons of momentum), while simultaneously using shoulders and hips to follow through with the whip. Using the bars to stop the whip is sort of a safety device for me as well. I learned on a dirt bike so the stanchions hitting the frame is exactly what I'm used to. Only on the dirt bike you can use the throttle to make your ass end slide as you jump and get some HUGE whips going fairly simply.

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 at 19:28 Quote
Haha. Looks like either this is a more popular topic than these 4 pages suggests, or someone has been looking in this thread! Smile

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/how-to-whip-curtis-robinson-summer-gravity-camp-2010.html

Posted: Dec 10, 2013 at 9:22 Quote
odin333 wrote:
ham-ham wrote:

You lost me there man.

thats not the greatest idea.

turning off a jump usually means your going to land in a bush.
Best tutorial Ever given! Thanks!

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 11:33 Quote
I kindve lean over the jump, almost off the side, but im talking about whipping hips. Imagine your doing a skid in the air, just fling your bike behind you

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 12:11 Quote
buy a Norco, it will get you whipping past 90

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025357
Mobile Version of Website