Driver 8 or 951

PB Forum :: Downhill
Driver 8 or 951
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
ok soo, I decided to change my bike next winter but I can't figure out wich one would suit me best.

My ridding is basicaly Bromont and sainte-anne, but I also do some freeride and I need to pedal up to go to my local trails . Next year il be racing also. Thats why I don't know wich frame to get. By the way they are going to be lime green or red

I would like some feed back about bothe of these frames

thanks

The build I was thinking was the one following:

Frame: driver8 0r 951
Fork: Boxxer team 2010
Shock: vivid 5.1
Headset: Fsa Orbit x-treme pro reducer
Stem Holzfeller direct mount/Straightline direct mount
Bars: chromag OSX
Grip: Odi intense
Brake: elixir R
Guide: E-13 LG1 +
Rear derailleur: sram x9
Shifter: sram x-9
Cassette: shimano tiagra
Chain: deore xt
Crankset: shimano saint
rims: mavic ex 729 or 823
hubs: TBD
Tires: Maxxis minion dhf
saddle: sdg del air sl (leopard)
seat post: either thompson or sdg
I think my build is stacked but if you have any suggestions feel free.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
wtt-tmr wrote:
ok soo, I decided to change my bike next winter but I can't figure out wich one would suit me best.

My ridding is basicaly Bromont and sainte-anne, but I also do some freeride and I need to pedal up to go to my local trails . Next year il be racing also. Thats why I don't know wich frame to get. By the way they are going to be lime green or red

I would like some feed back about bothe of these frames

thanks

The build I was thinking was the one following:

Frame: driver8 0r 951
Fork: Boxxer team 2010
Shock: vivid 5.1
Headset: Fsa Orbit x-treme pro reducer
Stem Holzfeller direct mount/Straightline direct mount
Bars: chromag OSX
Grip: Odi intense
Brake: elixir R
Guide: E-13 LG1 +
Rear derailleur: sram x9
Shifter: sram x-9
Cassette: shimano tiagra
Chain: deore xt
Crankset: shimano saint
rims: mavic ex 729 or 823
hubs: TBD
Tires: Maxxis minion dhf
saddle: sdg del air sl (leopard)
seat post: either thompson or sdg
I think my build is stacked but if you have any suggestions feel free.

Could go XO on derailleur, and vivid with a TI Spring

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 21:54 Quote
it depends on what u want adjustability or reliabilty cause some really adjustable can get a bit squeky from what i have heard but driver 8 for what you have said and maybe a fox rc4 and fox 40s fortys are far more reliable from what ive heard

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 21:57 Quote
isnt the driver 8 sort of oriented more for FR than DH, unlike the 951 is more oriented for DH than FR? I'd personally would go for the 951 as it looks solid.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 21:59 Quote
good point it depends on what u ride more

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:28 Quote
The 951 has had some major problems with the lower link. If I recall correct, the Intense team switched back to m6 because of that problem. Wait unil they have solved that problem. For full on dh and racing the 951 will be better suited for the cause.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:47 Quote
driver 8 seems better suited for your needs.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:50 Quote
jinx wrote:
The 951 has had some major problems with the lower link. If I recall correct, the Intense team switched back to m6 because of that problem. Wait unil they have solved that problem. For full on dh and racing the 951 will be better suited for the cause.

Kovarik kept bottoming it out too easy with a 600lbs spring I think and full compression in the shock, it was like the suspension was to active, so they had to do some changes...

Edit: " Lets hope it’s not a complete disaster of a bike like the 951. The linkage on the 951 drives the shock so hard that riders over 12stone cant get springs heavy enough. Kovarik had the stiffest spring that Fox make and the compression damping turned right up and it was still blowing through the travel. The CRC/Intense team are having to go back to M6’s until the problems are sorted out. "

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:57 Quote
I would go with the Driver 8. it seems like a solid bike and no problems have been discovered yet with it, and probably won't since they just modified the V10 design pretty much. the 951 has had problems as mentioned and if i do remember correctly, its meant to be like a one season race bike. not a do it all bring it your local trails and hills kinda thing.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 5:59 Quote
odin333 wrote:
I would go with the Driver 8. it seems like a solid bike and no problems have been discovered yet with it, and probably won't since they just modified the V10 design pretty much. the 951 has had problems as mentioned and if i do remember correctly, its meant to be like a one season race bike. not a do it all bring it your local trails and hills kinda thing.
well the 951 comes in a FRO and Non-FRO

If you tell me the 951 has problems Id rather go for a D8

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:28 Quote
HI i will be ordering my new driver 8 in a few weeks and i have ridden one its great
its basically a v10 but just pedals better and is more lively

and on your bike you should go for the new fox rc4 rear shock they are sweet
also there has been a lot of problems with the 2010 rock shocks boxxer team forks i think it was to do with the bushings so you should go for the more reliable fox 40s

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:51 Quote
You should consider a Corsair Maelstrom. High quality suspension and excellent pedaling efficiency. Plus a lot more.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
jinx wrote:

Kovarik kept bottoming it out too easy with a 600lbs spring I think and full compression in the shock, it was like the suspension was to active, so they had to do some changes...

Edit: " Lets hope it’s not a complete disaster of a bike like the 951. The linkage on the 951 drives the shock so hard that riders over 12stone cant get springs heavy enough. Kovarik had the stiffest spring that Fox make and the compression damping turned right up and it was still blowing through the travel. The CRC/Intense team are having to go back to M6’s until the problems are sorted out. "

That is BS, CRC run Cane Creek Double Barrel shocks, and def not fox

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 10:32 Quote
christiaan wrote:

That is BS, CRC run Cane Creek Double Barrel shocks, and def not fox

I just found that but the 951 had major problems with the shock leverage ratio and was just flying through the travel...

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 19:24 Quote
Honestly I don't think our "local trails" come in as real factor in all of this, considering the only dh track to ride in Montreal is a 1 minute bit of terrain that you can easily push to the top of. I don't think the Driver 8 is a bike suited to what you plan on doing, you won't enjoy it as a DH race bike, and I don't think there is a huge need for a bike with seatpost extension around here. I think that if your consider a 951 then you should also be consider a V-10 and not the driver 8.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012146
Mobile Version of Website