52 weeks - The Journey to Mega Avalanche 2010

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
52 weeks - The Journey to Mega Avalanche 2010
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
Yeah man, i'm behind you Smile

Also, we'll do ambergate soon, and black rocks, and some other places. Good british winter riding too, looking forward to it.

Posted: Oct 12, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
Views: 6,568    Faves: 79    Comments: 31
Video edit courtesy of Team Boon!

Monday

massive day - did nothing and rested all day after a tiring previous week!

Tuesday

Turbo trainer arrived today, so I set it up and found a junk bike to use on it - pics to follow soon!

Wednesday

Nice gentle 10 mile ride with Elijah along the local canal and stopping at the local cafe for some nosh!

Thursday

Worst news this week! - The car has broke the day before Moelfre!!! Did alot of calling and begged hire companys to help me out! Practical hire in Burton came up trumps and supplied a Colt for a bargain price - Thanks guys!!

After picking up the car - it was a rush session of packing and organising the car for the weekends trip.

Friday

Headed to Wals with Richie parsons in convoy after some 6.30am bacon butties for the early booking uplift. Conditions were great on arrival and we were blessed with a dry dusty day to practice the course on. Tents up and no sign of rain!

photo

Air into the singletrack

However the course managed to give me 2 punctures over the day - which occured at the top section - leaving a long walk or a lucky uplift catch! Manged to aloso break my chain on the 2nd uplift - mechanicals were creeping in!

Saturday

Offical practice for Descent gear Moelfre race

Ok so a great day begun and it was a damp start but looked likely to improve asap! The first run went well and then, disaster came in its numbers!

photo

Practice was fun but jam packed with riders

Ok, why?, I had a crap day - After 6 punctures and a split rear rim, i thought i was going have to drive home and get the Haro to actually race! However a fellow pinkbiker and racers guild freind "Steve" stepped in after hearing my problems and offered to build me a rear wheel if i arranged a new rim. One spank sumbrosa later - and we were into a wheel building session with burgers!

After a very chilled out day - we ended the day with a good old session of brews with the Racers guild crew around the bonfire Aaron had created. The laughter and fire kept us happy unitl around 11.15 when the fire wood run out and we scarped for shelter in our sleeping bags!

Sunday

First light did not burst into the glorius welsh valley when my alarm woke me up at 7am in prep for for the Early bird uplift at 7.45. It was still flipping pitch black.

After stumbling around the campsite and falling over in the porta loo I headed over to the uplift suited and booted ready for my earliset ever DH run ever! As the tractors arrived we saw the sun rise over the welsh valleys with some promising weather but really cold winds!

Got 2 runs done top to bottom with no hold ups and the wheel had no punctures and was still as true as when steve built the bad boy yesterday!

After some grubb it was time for my race run, amongst the other 130 senior riders in my category.

Run 1 - started so well and I was hitting all my lines that I had learnt over the weekend - As I approached the final section and the slab drop - Nightmare - My front wheel washed out in the loose berm and I crashed abpout 2 metres away from my mum and step dad - who screamed blue murder at me to get back on!!! After finding my bike and getting back on to a huge cheer from the crowd - I decided to thank them with a Adrenaline fueled Tabletop over the huge double intop the field - ended my first run with a 03.10!

photo

Just landing after the hip

Run 2 - after a delayed uplift our category arrived to a rather unique and abit messed up rider order. When we were allowed to leave the start area - it was actually a relief to get away from the very strong gale force chilly wind that was wiping its way across the first 1/3rd of the track. The run was going ok and I was just aiming to stay o. Ride was feeling good and i was even pedalling when I should! However disaster striked on the large breaking bumps, as my chain slipped and jammed in my chain device. Unable to adjust my pedals and get anymore strokes in - I cruised into the finish with a 03.05

photo

Final run in the Welsh weather!

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
Cool weekend John, well done Big Grin ........wished I could have been there, sounded real good, nice race write up to!

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 at 14:38 Quote
new website for our Project

check it out!

new website/

Posted: Oct 18, 2009 at 12:30 Quote
Link to blog is here -

http://jumble.pinkbike.com/blog/week120f52weekstheblog.html

Views: 365    Faves: 4    Comments: 19

Monday

Knackered after Moelfre, but managed to drag myself up for a family trip to Alton towers. Was terrific weather and I wont boast about how empty it was and that I didnt have to que for any ride!

Tuesday

Ok. so on reflection of Moelfre on the weekend, I have identified some areas for improvement immediatly.

1 - Grow some bigger Balls! Less breaking and more speed on the DH!

2 - Need to get some more strength back in my arms! Muscle and upper body needs tuning!

3 - Recovery time after riding - needs to be shorter! Need more stamina asap!

So I have sat down wth a red pen and a blank sheet of paper and written a daily workout chart which includes - Aerobic exercises, Weight sessions and Turbo trainer sessions.

So every day when all are sleeping either early or late - I am going to lock myself in my batcave (garage) and do a 45 minute workout if I have not trained on my bike that day!

photo

turbo setup

Wednesday

Early AM - Turbo Trainer workout including other aerobic and weight session. This was hard work, quite boring and I am quite happy with how much sweat I managed to pull out of my body seeing as I havent even drank hardly anything today! Adjusted the Haro today - on with some wider bars and a short stubby stem!

Launched our website today!!!!

Ok so follow the link for a more indepth and personal look at me and the bikes etc in the project! CHECK IT OUT!

New Website for "52 weeks"

Thursday

PM - Turbo Trainer workout including other aerobic and weight session. Felt better today but legs weree a bit sore from yesterdays training - good signs it was a hard work out though! Felt better today and I worked on correcting my breathing techniques.

Friday

So it was the amazingly boring Car hunt today to replace my completly dead car!

After reading hundreds and hundreds of adds and reviews on websites, I decided that I like Ford Mondeo Saloon cars - as they have big boots and are reasonably priced too! So after a few hours of browsing I found a beast of a deal - 2002 Ford Mondeo for £2999 with under 45,000 on the clock in mint condition. Thanks to our hard earned savings - it was a quick buy and we got £500 knocked off as they were desperate to sell it and it was 30mins after closing! We will get the keys on Monday am! woop!

PM - Mellow 5 mile road ride and a short but Intense Turbo trainer session including other aerobic and weight session. Feeling good and liking the routine to be honest - however it is very boring!

Saturday

Compulsury - Child protection training day at Church from 9am till 12.30 - Best thing Coffee - worst thing being awake and boring work!

Pump track session was calling - needed to actually get outside on 2 wheels this week, especially after Moelfre! Arrived at the pump track at Mackworth/Mickleover for a couple of hours - To little rippers were already there shredding it up - Scott and Dan. Had a great session riding with them and also with Elijah ripping it up down the banked sides on his Quad!

Sunday

7.20 am start at Cannock training on the Haro today.... what will happen???

Decided to take my Haro Xeon and see how a mid travel bike would feel on DH - i have been given alot of advice on Pinkbike regarding Mid travel bikes for the Mega Avalanche 2010 - so today I was gonna give it a full work out. And in all honesty I Loved it! Everynow and then you were reminded by the terrain that you were only rocking 5.5 inches but most of the time it was fine. Jumps were great too - because of the ligtweight bike you can really handle it and style it up nice and easy.

Met up with pinkbikers Paul and Sam from Stoke - After meeting up at the bottom of stile cop - We sessioned the Wonderland trail, for a few hours and had some fun picking and trying some different lines out. These guys are sound to ride with and a good laugh - so some good company was found on the hill!

photo

Small travel rig at Cannock

photo

Weaving my way down wonderland

The majority of this weeks video is from todays riding!

This is due to the fact you would have been suicidal watching hours of Turbo training i did this week! Thanks to Paul for the pics at Cannock today!

as always, see you next week!

John aka Jumble

Thanks to all our sponsors

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023847
Mobile Version of Website