Summer Gravity Camp V.S. Camp Of Champions what one?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Summer Gravity Camp V.S. Camp Of Champions what one?
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 20:36 Quote
hi so i dont know what one would be better and i want your opinions from experience?? thanks for whatever your thoughts are.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
I just came back from SGC and it was amazing! but I can't compare it to camp of champions since I've never been to it. I saw it while in whistler but I don't know how their coaching is like. In SGC we ride with a different coach everyday and try harder trails as we go and the coaches teach you the correct technics to go through them like the basics and stuff and if you're doing something wrong they tell you and correct you. The more you ask the better. BUT they do expect you to be an intermediate rider since many coaches kinda get bored with slower grups and have a blast with more experienced ones. I guess the more experienced you are the more I would lean towards SGC. Although there's nothng like having Shandro behind you helping you pick faster lines and better technic! my2 cents

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
Go to SGC. No further reasoning needed.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 21:43 Quote
SGC FTW!! just go, its awesome, riding with pros, learn a bunch, have a shit load of fun, super chill, free stuff, good food, and everything RZ-Jacks said.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 21:56 Quote
SGC fo sho. coc is supa lame. i saw them in whistler. its like 1 coach who doesnt really know what hes doing to like 20 little kids all screaming aline. sgc is super chill, and a lot of fun. i had tons of fun in sgc. just force yourself to be outgoing, because not really having anyone to hang out with there isnt as much fun. but everyone is super cool there. besides, ive heard that coc's cabin thing has bed-bugs.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 23:18 Quote
SGC FTW. i cant stop thinking about sgc and that i cant go back till next year. i got to ride with legends, at coc u get to ride with coaches. also about coc is that its really crowded, like 120 kids a camp and all that free stuff they say they giva away is bs, all of it only goes to 3 kids, ive been to both camps and sgc is way more supirior. if you wanna go to coc just cause of the free stuff they say they giva away than u might as well just buy it cause the camp cost more than the frames. go to sgc, better coaches=more fun

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
We must have been out to lunch to have missed this post! Oneill-Kid, we'd be stoked to have you come bike with us next summer. Firstly, there are a few things I need to correct here...

Our coaches, like Casey Groves, Darcy Turrene, Gareth Dyer, Mike Montgomery, Alan Hepburn, and Xavier Raventos, all rip and all know how to coach. In order to be a coach in the Whistler Bike Park, you need to have your coach certification. We have some new riders being added to our coaching line up for next summer, but we can't announce anyone just yet.

Our campers are aged from 13 - 18 and we ride every trail on the mountain, not just A-line. You don't get better by only riding one trail, so we ride everything.

We have one coach for every three campers, so our coaching groups consist of a max of 6 campers and 2 coaches. One coach leads the group while the other coach trails so you have one coach showing you all the good lines and the other coach checking out anything you might be doing wrong or could be doing better.

We've never had bed bugs in our Dorm. A few campers had left their windows open at night so bugs came in that were attracted to the lights. Then next thing we know we hear gossip on here about bed bugs at camp. That's just not the case.

Mr-eric appears to have been to camp before and apparently did not have that great of an experience. That sucks and I wish we knew about it sooner when we could have done something for him. We'll follow up with him anyway and hopefully find out where his camp experience went wrong to ensure it doesn't happen again to anyone else.

I will say this, every camper walks away with product at camp. You might not be the guy that wins a new frame, we give two away each week, but we also give away everything from components, to armour, goggles, gloves, helmets, shorts, jerseys, hoodies and more, so you will get something. At the end of the day though, that's not why you come to camp, you come to camp to bike and become a better rider. The free product is the gravy on top of a killer week riding your bike at camp in Whistler.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
Ive been to COC twice now and couldn't ask for a better camp. the coaches are super chilled and they hang around after riding for paintball and movies and stuff. theres also like 3/4 kids per coach so the ratio's really good and you get to learn really quick, and the coaches get to know you. and they do give out loads of free stuff to everyone, this year i got a custom trasition frame, 2 pair of oakley goggles, pedals, strailine levers, armour and 3 t-shirts.
i haven't need to sgc, but all i can see from it is that they seem to have more kids per coach.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 16:49 Quote
^^ well, its different. you can chose pretty much. i went to SGC(never been to CoC) and we picked our groups(which isnt always good.. different riding levels, ect.) but they where never really the same. sometimes it waxs like 3 of us with a coach sometimes it was 8 of us. and mupltiple times it was 3 coaches and like 12 of us. SGC was awesome and CoC looks just as awesome, both look super legit, super chill, and super awesome

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
yeah, i mean they've both gotta be pretty good or people wont go to them. personally one of the big bonuses at coc is being able to use any of their bikes rather than a rental, and having their mechanic on the hill, you also get loads of photos, not just one.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 18:29 Quote
SGC is cheaper and has bigger name coaches. I have a friend that works at Whistler who shall remain nameless but deals with the companies that operate in the bike park... I don't think that CoC is a good choice.

Posted: Sep 16, 2009 at 20:17 Quote
well both seem like good camps, each one has its pros and cons, so thanks for the info evryone and as of next year or after that its posible that coc could see me there or sgc

Posted: Sep 17, 2009 at 9:33 Quote
myarmisonfire wrote:
SGC is cheaper and has bigger name coaches. I have a friend that works at Whistler who shall remain nameless but deals with the companies that operate in the bike park... I don't think that CoC is a good choice.

Hey Dude, I'm the General manager at the Camp of Champions. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your friend, while I honestly don't know who he/she is, is not involved with our camps operations in the Bike Park. The reason I say that is because we also run a glacier snowboard and ski camp, we do not go through the same channels as the other companies that operate in the bike park. We work directly with a small sales team of two people, who do not work with any of the other companies in the bike park, just us.

Also I worked at Whistler Blackcomb for over 6 years running bike programs prior to working at camp, and I'm very close with the Bike Park operations team, who are some of my close friends. So i think your friend is being a little too generous with his/her involvement in our bike camp operations.

Sorry I don't mean to be disrespectful by calling you out or anything, but there are a lot of false rumours about the Camp of Champions on here that really negatively impact all the hard work our crew puts in every summer to host a good, fun bike camp.

Posted: Sep 17, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
myarmisonfire wrote:

If you compare an adult camp with lift, accommodation, coaching and bike, COC was actually a little bit cheaper. SGC $2359 - COC $2325.
At COC you get the equivalent of an extra days riding because we do our Air Dome sessions after a full day in the park instead of in the afternoon taking away from time in the park, you got top of the line bikes that aren't rentals, a coaching ratio of 1:3 compared to 1:6, a photographer that shoots all day every day giving you every picture that was shot during your session, a videographer that follows you around filming a movie of your session, our ride along mechanic that fixes any mechanicals, free tubes, epic lunch at the GLC and more. SGC has bigger name coaches. We're working on that and will have some announcements in the next couple weeks. In 2009 COC was $34 less that SGC. SGC's 2010 pricing is not out yet so I can't compare 2010 to 2010.

This year we have changed how we show our pricing on our site so you can compare the different pricing levels to each other so it is more obvious the closeness of the pricing. I think when you compare the different camps, and look at what COC offers for basically the same price, I think COC comes out on top.

Ken

Posted: Sep 17, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
I think both camps are awsome, and coc is being very smart by being on here to answer questions. however, i went to sgc this summer, and had so much fun. I have heard some bad rumors about coc, from bed bugs in the beds, to just not caring about you... don't know if theyre true or not though. I also saw some kids from coc. they were in giant groups, with one coach who didnt seem to be teaching them anything... it was seriously like 12 kids per coach when i saw them. also, sgc has three trek session 88's that you can take out for the day, i keep seeing all the coc guys advertising with their bikes... but sgc has the same thing, just so you know. The thing about sgc is that your on your own. theyre there to keep you out of trouble, teach you to ride better, and show you around the hill. Im not sure if coc is the same or not, but with sgc, you just get to do whatever you want pretty much. and, the whole thing about air dome taking up time on the hill is false... you dont have to go to the air dome, and if you ask a coach, they can take you out on the mountain during the air dome time. also, free breakfast and lunch, and you get to choose what you get. plus free dinner two or three of the nights. there is some free stuff, maybe not as much as coc, but who goes to a camp for free stuff? everyone gets shoes, grips, super nice headphones, lots of stickers, a poster, a print of your picture, a dakine jersey, and, if you go to sgc, you can get a pro deal on a trek session 88, which gives you about a half price session. If sgc werent in existence, i would definatley go to coc. but, in my humble opinion, sgc is better. although, i havent acctually been to coc, just heard rumors, and seen kids... so, i dont really know how much different the two are. but the botom line is that both are sick, and either way, you get lots of riding in whistler...

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021667
Mobile Version of Website