Giant reign x with a rock shox pike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Giant reign x with a rock shox pike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:45 Quote
hey guys,
I was wondering what are your opinions on putting a pike on a reign x. I will be mainly dirt jumping but i will be doing a lot of free riding in the summer months. The giant reign x's come with a 160mm fork and i dont know how the frame would react to a 140mm fork.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:53 Quote
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Dont do it

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:57 Quote
do you have any other suggestions i want something with adjustable travel and i cant break the bank.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:58 Quote
I think a domain or a lyrik would be way doper if you've got a little extra money

Edit: I didn't see ur latest post

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 18:59 Quote
Yeah or a Fox 36 Talas. If you put any lower travel on the Reign X its going to lower the front end of the bike, giving it a much steeper head angle and therefore making it corner and ride steep sections like shit.

Try looking for a used version of one of these forks if you dont want to break the bank. But do not go lower travel. Even longer travel forks feel awesome on the Reign X. I upped the travel on mine to 7"(180mm) with a totem and the bike rides even better than stock with the 160mm travel fork.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:00 Quote
alright thanks. im trying to buy used and on craigslist there is a bike nearly brand new and a totem that is nearly brand new. i will see if they are still up when i get all the money for my new build. but between a pike and a totem what do you think. i want it to still be dirt jump able

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
Get a totem solo air, then if your going jumping you can just throw a bit more air in the fork so its stiffer.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:01 Quote
jeanie i was looking at your reign x build. might i say it looks extremly nice. how does the bike perform with totems?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:02 Quote
how much does the totem solo air weigh? im trying to keep it in the sub 35 pound range if possible. and how do you like the mavic crossline rims?

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:02 Quote
id say thats where the lyrik fits right in cuz its 160-115mm so if u can find an air lyrik itll be just like a pike for dirtjumping, just alot stiffer

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:03 Quote
alright thanks jms i will keep my eye out for one

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:05 Quote
I should post up an updated picture, it has deemax, straitline blue stem and e.13 Lg1+ now. Its a bit heavier than stock but I use it as my downhill race bike and its awesome. Not great in super rocky places because of the 9mm dropouts in the rear but i ride the shit out of this bike and it has held up fine. Since im getting more into serious racing and riding at resorts all the time i decided im buying a 2010 glory and parting out my Reign X though just because I want the extra travel.

But the bike jumps very well for a freeride bike, and will handle pretty much anything with a totem on the front. Just no massive hucks, and you will feel out-gunned at really rough and technical mountains like bromont, by the guys with 8" travel DH bikes.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:07 Quote
yo, i found one on chain reaction cycles. its a deal and a half just switch the currency when u get on there

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:07 Quote
alright im riding at northstar in the summers then at a local dj park in the winter. it seems you are pretty knowledgable on the reign x. i currently have the reign x2 and everything is stock. the marzocchi suspension blows so i need to get new front and rear shock. and i thought while i am at it why dont i just do a complete overhall

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:08 Quote
ericgreilich wrote:
how much does the totem solo air weigh? im trying to keep it in the sub 35 pound range if possible. and how do you like the mavic crossline rims?

I snapped my front crossline rim racing downhill on it, might have been a defect though cause i snapped it right at the seam. I also bent my rear axle but I beat the living crap out of those wheels, which i why i bought deemax.

The totem solo air weighs about 5.5 pounds. my bike built up with dual ply downhill tires, deemax wheels and all the rest of the downhill parts weighs about 35.5 pounds. You can easily keep it under 35 pounds.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011284
Mobile Version of Website