Giant reign x with a rock shox pike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Giant reign x with a rock shox pike
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:30 Quote
Fox and Rockshox are both very comparable where performance goes. I would say fox has a bit better durability overall but again they are both very close.

Marzocchi is just shit. None of their products even come close to comparing to any Fox or Rockshox product since 2008+.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
i have noticed that with marzocchi i sent my forks in to get servised by them and i got them back about 4 weeks ago. now the rebound adjust wont work. so marzocchi has lost me as a customer

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
That, and their performance and weight are not even close to being up to par with Fox and Rockshox. My friends top of the line 66 which cost as much as my totem solo air feels like complete garbage, has half the adjustments, and weighs almost a pound more. Figure that one out.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:06 Quote
doesnt make sense to me haha. well i think marzocchi is goin down the shitter since they arent made in italy anymore. but you like your totem on your reign? and it is dirt jumpable?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
It is dirtjump able..not great for it because it makes dirtjumping too easy because you can pretty much nose case jumps and keep on going.. and its still hard to do just because of the length of it and how raked out it is compared to a Dj bike. I have a Dj bike also so I dont dirtjump it often, but you can expect it to not jump as well as a hardtail. But for a bike with over 6" of travel designed for freeride it jumps extremely well.

And yes, I absoloutely love my totem. It raised the front end a bit which slackened the head angle, and it corners better now. And the totem eats up pretty much everything, and its super stiff.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
alright you have me pretty much convinsed. i am going to have to sell my riot in order to make this new build happen so no more hard tail for me haha. well what do you think is a really strong wheelset for les than like $500

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
deetraxs? im not sure how much they cost tho

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
they are right around $500 for 09 ones. my friend has a deetrax on his stp and he is constantly braking spokes with the straight pull hub. i was thinking about transition revolution fr wheelset? are they strong?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:21 Quote
Pretty strong but really heavy.

The mavic straight pull spokes are stronger than normal J-bend spokes, that is the advantage to them. Th disadvantage is they loosen easier so you have to check your wheel tension a little more often. Your friend may just be a hack.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
alright i was just looking at the thread about mavic 721's i hear those are strong as hell. i could probably build a decent wheelset with those for around $350?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
You might be able to build up a set of wheels with a formula front hub and a shimano rear, but i dont reallu consider those decent hubs. I would see if you can afford to build up a set of Hope Pro 2's to 721s.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
the ex 729 rims seem to be stronger and they are $99 a rim so if i got some decent hope hubs i would be looking at like $450-500 for the wheel set i think. do you think it is worth the extra $20 each rim for 729 over 721

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
721 is lighter, 729 is stronger. depends on how hard you are on your rims and what the trails are like where you ride.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
i wouldnt say i am the easiest on my rims. But it sounds like the 721 is still preddy damn strong and im going for weight somewhat too so sounds like 721s are the ticket. what hubs would you reccomend.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
Hope pro 2's are apparently the way to go for the money. They come in lots of flavours too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011644
Mobile Version of Website