Ottawa Bike Trials

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Ottawa Bike Trials
O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2012 at 14:42 Quote
Yes. But we never really post on here. There's a group ride on FB I think, or we just organise rides together on facebook.

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 16:35 Quote
Well if someone in the area ever wants to ride, add me to facebook ( Michel H. Pilon ) In Gatineau but got a bike rack on the car so can ride wherever. Stuck in the middle of learning stuff.. Need people to ride with! hehe

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 15:21 Quote
Hey Ottawa trialsers - I used to ride trials in Ottawa a few years ago but am now in Vancouver. My bike has been sitting at my parents' house in Nepean and I am looking to sell it when I return home later this month. Is there a particular biking website that is popular in Ottawa these days? It used to be mtbkanata, but that site is long dead...

Of course my bike is for sale on PinkBike, but its location is listed as "Vancouver" due to my profile, when the bike is actually in Ottawa.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1177937/

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 22:19 Quote
Okay. This is come across as super green, but I was one of the first few trials riders in this city a long time ago. Like 15+ year. Hear me out though.

I sold my trials bike ages ago and got into bmx, but recently want to get back into trials.

I'm hoping I can find someone who wants to go for a ride, i'll be on my single speed for now. But i just want to see if I still got it and try your bike a bit too see if it's worth spending the money on a bike.

Don't worry either. I'm well known in Ottawa and if you want someone to vouch for me call José at Joemamma or any of the Phat moose guys and ask about MattyD from way back.

Nvm. This board is dead too.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 5:44 Quote
Mattyd613 wrote:
Okay. This is come across as super green, but I was one of the first few trials riders in this city a long time ago. Like 15+ year. Hear me out though.

I sold my trials bike ages ago and got into bmx, but recently want to get back into trials.

I'm hoping I can find someone who wants to go for a ride, i'll be on my single speed for now. But i just want to see if I still got it and try your bike a bit too see if it's worth spending the money on a bike.

Don't worry either. I'm well known in Ottawa and if you want someone to vouch for me call José at Joemamma or any of the Phat moose guys and ask about MattyD from way back.

Nvm. This board is dead too.

The group wasn't very active this year to be honnest, I dont even know if we rode once all together. I usualy ride around my area mostly in Gatineau. I'd be in for a ride, I have everything booked until october.

We're usualy using Facebook to figure out our rides, It's the Ottawa Trials Biking group (just checked it haha, last post is from april).

Anyways, I'd be in to ride in October, it's been too long that I've ridden trials!

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 22:38 Quote
Come to mention it, haven't seen anyone doing trials this year...
Does riding the tops of the wall at the history museum on a downhill count? Ninja

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 8:20 Quote
I rode Trials in Ottawa once or twice only this year. I've been mostly in the trails for the summer.

I dont know if riding trials has to involve riding a trials bike hahaha

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 at 20:21 Quote
Slightly over 22 lbs

Hi guys. I know this probably isn't the ideal place to post this question... but this seems to be one of the most active trials forums and sure most of you are very knowledgeable on the subject. Rather than sell my current bikes to buy a trials-specific one, I was hopin to change a few parts on my Giant to make it a bit more trials-oriented. One of my biggest questions is stem-wise. Yes, there are plenty of forums out there about trials stem sizes. However, this is obviously different geo than most trials bikes, with the suspension fork and 26" wheels. So my question is... what length/rise stem would be a good start for this bike? Im looking at trialtech stems from 90-130mm long, and feel very uneducated. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 13:04 Quote
I am not really a trials biker, I ride unicycle trials. I bought my trials bike and didn't change a single thing on it. But, I know alot about geo stuff.

You got it right, this isn't a trials bike, the best thing I think you could do with that it not try to make it trials specific, but try to make it street/trials ish. The stem itself wont make it more trialsy, you'd need a different frame with a complete different geo (higher BB to start with). You should probably base yourself on something like an Inspired Fourplay to modify your bike and try to get a similar feel.

I would just switch to lower gear ratios and you'd be good to start trialsy riding on that in my opinion. There's no way you'll match the geo of a trials bike on that frame, so I would try to just make it more versatile.

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 16:18 Quote
Whatever gets your back wheel from one side to the other! lol I agree a bit with him^ Gearing. As for a stem, just a solid one I suppose. It's all rider specific honestly.
Get a friend to support the frame while you assume manual position then see where your hands feel they need to be?

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 21:57 Quote
Thanks so much for the input!! I was actually thinking along the same lines with street trials rather than pure trials. At the very least improve upon my bunny hops and technical riding skills. I ordered a couple different sized TrialTech stems to play with, and some fat holy roller tires to practice on. I have some strong riser bars to try out with it too. At the very least, it'll be an fun project on the cheap. Thanks again!

Posted: Nov 2, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
jacobaffreux wrote:
I rode Trials in Ottawa once or twice only this year. I've been mostly in the trails for the summer.

I dont know if riding trials has to involve riding a trials bike hahaha

You know... Is there somewhere around Ott/Gat that I can try out a real trials bike (mod or stock) or maybe someone that wouldn't mind letting me try out their trial bike? My dad did dirtbike trials in the late 80's through the early 90's and something tells me I might be meant for this. I keep trying to do absurd shit on a DH. Confused

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 17:35 Quote
I have a Mod hahaha, I just barely use it.

There are some good spots for riding, but you need to look hard for them. Some good Natural Trials in Gatineau Park, Downtown Ottawa is only urban but still fun.

You could have a go on mine at some point! It's a small toy Smile

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 19:13 Quote
Calabogie might be reopening Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013597
Mobile Version of Website