Would you ride norco after all there recalls?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Would you ride norco after all there recalls?
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 16:02 Quote
vokes wrote:
dutchster wrote:

how do you expect them to make that many replacement frames so quickly? its a good thing they made the announcment asap so everyone is aware of the problem and can just check their bikes over after a ride till the new frame arrives.

Yeah but lets be REALISTIC ... I am sure Norco knew about the replacement frames back in late 2008 ... or did they just decide to manufacture a whole bunch of extra 2007 and 2008 frames "just in case" ... (I don't think so).

A lot of people have had their frames replaced, while a lot are still waiting.

I "was" one of them, but made the decision back in March to sell mine off (another warranty issue). Good thing, because its August now, and the friend I sold it to is STILL WAITING .... almost 6 months later!! He has been told 4 different ETA dates ... waiting for the 5th.

Too many recalls if you ask me. Proactive engineering is ALWAYS better than reactive.

Having said that, it looks like they have there act together in 2010. If its a good year (in terms of breakage), I am sure by 2011, they will remain a major player.

hmmmmm isint this all happening because one person snapped the headtube, and broke the collarbone, so norco looked into why it happened and found some flaw? i thought that was only a few months ago that this all started?

they might be just making new 07 and 08 frames now, they've made em before they can just make more now. its probably cheaper than new model frames to make, plus it takes away alot of incentive for people to try and cheat norco outta a new frame somehow.

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
dutchster wrote:
vokes wrote:
dutchster wrote:

how do you expect them to make that many replacement frames so quickly? its a good thing they made the announcment asap so everyone is aware of the problem and can just check their bikes over after a ride till the new frame arrives.

Yeah but lets be REALISTIC ... I am sure Norco knew about the replacement frames back in late 2008 ... or did they just decide to manufacture a whole bunch of extra 2007 and 2008 frames "just in case" ... (I don't think so).

A lot of people have had their frames replaced, while a lot are still waiting.

I "was" one of them, but made the decision back in March to sell mine off (another warranty issue). Good thing, because its August now, and the friend I sold it to is STILL WAITING .... almost 6 months later!! He has been told 4 different ETA dates ... waiting for the 5th.

Too many recalls if you ask me. Proactive engineering is ALWAYS better than reactive.

Having said that, it looks like they have there act together in 2010. If its a good year (in terms of breakage), I am sure by 2011, they will remain a major player.

hmmmmm isint this all happening because one person snapped the headtube, and broke the collarbone, so norco looked into why it happened and found some flaw? i thought that was only a few months ago that this all started?

they might be just making new 07 and 08 frames now, they've made em before they can just make more now. its probably cheaper than new model frames to make, plus it takes away alot of incentive for people to try and cheat norco outta a new frame somehow.

I have spoken directly to Norco a few times. Yes, someone snapped a bike in half and got hurt... There are dozens of other cases of stess cracking from what I was told by Norco. people break bikes in half all the time... The accident you speak of merely made Norco look at the big picture and make the call to place a recall notice.

It's not just a matter of pulling some extra frames off the shelf and modding them to be adequate... The entire head tube union is different. The fact that people are still waiting for frames is kinda ridiculous tho... it's been 5 months...if something like this happened in the automotive industry they would have had the correction within weeks... Mountain bikes just don't get the publicity

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
Look, some of you are acting like the people at Norco should veritably end their lives over this. They're a large company, bottom line, they can't just cease production of all their other products to tend to the various recalled frames. At least they are taking care of it and warrantying what needs to be. In a sense it's more reassuring to know that they are taking their time with getting people their frames, because why would they want to produce the warranty frames out of haste and have the same problems happen again. They made a mistake, just like a thousand other corporations have...i.e. Tylenol, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, and hell even NASA f*cked up mathematically a couple years back...pieces came flying off the space shuttle, A DUH, big mistake. Point being, mistakes suck, but they happen, to all of us, so either learn from them or move the f*ck on. Let Norco do what they have to to make things as close to right as they can. They don't deserve to be ripped a new a*shole.

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
id ride one and i am. i have faith in my frame not to brake unless i put dc on it, but that will never happen. so what if they had a recall. atleast they owned up to it.

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
doublepost

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
loopsryder wrote:
dutchster wrote:
vokes wrote:

snip.

snip.

I have spoken directly to Norco a few times. Yes, someone snapped a bike in half and got hurt... There are dozens of other cases of stess cracking from what I was told by Norco. people break bikes in half all the time... The accident you speak of merely made Norco look at the big picture and make the call to place a recall notice.

It's not just a matter of pulling some extra frames off the shelf and modding them to be adequate... The entire head tube union is different. The fact that people are still waiting for frames is kinda ridiculous tho... it's been 5 months...if something like this happened in the automotive industry they would have had the correction within weeks... Mountain bikes just don't get the publicity

5 months is a long time

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
i would still ride a norco after seeing my buddy shore 2 frame cracking in 3 places

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
i have an 09 norco aline, it wasn't in the recall but its a sweet bike and i would ride norco forever. Atleast norco is fixing there mistakes and taking care of all the bike and replacing the front ends. there are many of other companys that would not do that for the customers

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 18:47 Quote
dutchster wrote:
loopsryder wrote:
dutchster wrote:

snip.

5 months is a long time

It is a long time...

They came to bat and warned people...and made good on the offer of updated frames...The follow through is just a little disappointing...

All I know is now I have a depreciated bike that i could have sold earlier in the year but didn't because without an updated frame it is worthless...

Damn... I like the 2010 Team DH and am still considering it... My damn pride says stay away from Norco tho...

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 at 19:23 Quote
Like sherbet said on page 1, alot of companies have recalls and alot of companies make mistakes. I'm still riding my Atomik.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014826
Mobile Version of Website