does anyone ride alone these day

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
does anyone ride alone these day
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 15:25 Quote
freeridetom wrote:
I mostly ride alone. Partly through habit (i almost always have done), partly through situation.

Reading this thread it's almost as if some people are ashamed to ride alone. Im not dis-respecting anyone, it's just some of these posts are written as if it's something to feel guilty about. Like we're all confessing our addiction.

Riding makes me happy. I ride whenever I get the chance, even if its just a half hour razz around my local loop. Sometimes I don't phone my buddies because I can't be bothered to orchestrate meeting up, where we're riding, how long, etc. Sometimes I don't phone them becuase I only have time for a quick session. It depends on the mood I'm in too. I don't ever see riding as a chore; i don't think "oh it's saturday - that means riding day" or plan what trick i've gotta nail.

Riding alone has given me more confidence in my ability. I progress slowly and steadily. I think I also know my strengths and weaknesses quite well. I sometimes take time before a descent to think where i want to improve.

There's also something about riding alone which verges on being theaputic. It's hard to explain, but I know I'm not the only one who feels it. Its somewhere in the silence. Something about being outdoors, being alone, spinning up a climb, checking the view, or railing a berm, waiting until the last second to grab the anchors, or not. The times when I know I was just flowing through, when instinct takes over from reactions.

When I stop at the end, scared, tired and smiling. If there's nobody else there, if I had nothing to prove and nobody to show, but I pinned it, then I'm happy. Its selfish really, but I like it.

You know what, I feel the same. There is something about it. When I reach the top of a killer climb I can just stop if I want to, no pressure to push myself. I can stop and take in a view, take a camera, a flask or whatever. I actually enjoy it better. It's hard to find someone else that will stop and want to admire the same view.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 15:35 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
i was going to go ride alone today, but i woke up and it was snowing....hard. i'm kinda half happy for the snow and half pissed b/c my bike season is over.Cry



i hear ya on that one man

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 15:43 Quote
freeridetom wrote:

When I stop at the end, scared, tired and smiling. If there's nobody else there, if I had nothing to prove and nobody to show, but I pinned it, then I'm happy. Its selfish really, but I like it.

great quote! and on top of that, the rest of the post!

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 17:36 Quote
Sometimes I ride alone but I just don't enjoy it.. it's sooooo boringFrown .

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
Dont ride alone. it is really dangerous. what if you fall and break somthing? what then? Its not smart. I know someone who fell and busted his spleen riding by himself and he had to walk 2 Km with a busted spleen. not fun. Ride with a person. But like the person at the top of this page quoted it is almost theraputic. I know how you feel. I just try to make sure i have means of getting help if I crash bad.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 17:55 Quote
i did not write this post because im ashame of my situation but sometimes its just awsome to ride with some else, have a great time and scare us up. But there is apart of me that just loves riding alone, stopping when u like looking at scenery, zoning out like if u were stoned and enjoying life. Maybe if I had ask does anyone ride alone were mountain biking is unknown i would had express myself better. U ride alone, build alone then when u met people u want to talk about your passion but they just dont care. Cars, atv, work is the only thing they care about. That kind of lonelyness. sorry for bitching but that is what i face and still think mtb is the sweetess sport in the world long live bicycles.Salute

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
MadMike2007 wrote:
I mostly ride alone. Partly through habit (i almost always have done), partly through situation.

Reading this thread it's almost as if some people are ashamed to ride alone. Im not dis-respecting anyone, it's just some of these posts are written as if it's something to feel guilty about. Like we're all confessing our addiction.

Riding makes me happy. I ride whenever I get the chance, even if its just a half hour razz around my local loop. Sometimes I don't phone my buddies because I can't be bothered to orchestrate meeting up, where we're riding, how long, etc. Sometimes I don't phone them becuase I only have time for a quick session. It depends on the mood I'm in too. I don't ever see riding as a chore; i don't think "oh it's saturday - that means riding day" or plan what trick i've gotta nail.

Riding alone has given me more confidence in my ability. I progress slowly and steadily. I think I also know my strengths and weaknesses quite well. I sometimes take time before a descent to think where i want to improve.

There's also something about riding alone which verges on being theaputic. It's hard to explain, but I know I'm not the only one who feels it. Its somewhere in the silence. Something about being outdoors, being alone, spinning up a climb, checking the view, or railing a berm, waiting until the last second to grab the anchors, or not. The times when I know I was just flowing through, when instinct takes over from reactions.

When I stop at the end, scared, tired and smiling. If there's nobody else there, if I had nothing to prove and nobody to show, but I pinned it, then I'm happy. Its selfish really, but I like it.

i know what you mean, its all for that moment when you feel one with your bike and with nature, when nothing is pressuring you and nothing is holding you back, i think thats why anybody that rides rides alone in the first place, its all about that moment

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
MadMike2007 wrote:
I mostly ride alone. Partly through habit (i almost always have done), partly through situation.

Reading this thread it's almost as if some people are ashamed to ride alone. Im not dis-respecting anyone, it's just some of these posts are written as if it's something to feel guilty about. Like we're all confessing our addiction.

Riding makes me happy. I ride whenever I get the chance, even if its just a half hour razz around my local loop. Sometimes I don't phone my buddies because I can't be bothered to orchestrate meeting up, where we're riding, how long, etc. Sometimes I don't phone them becuase I only have time for a quick session. It depends on the mood I'm in too. I don't ever see riding as a chore; i don't think "oh it's saturday - that means riding day" or plan what trick i've gotta nail.

Riding alone has given me more confidence in my ability. I progress slowly and steadily. I think I also know my strengths and weaknesses quite well. I sometimes take time before a descent to think where i want to improve.

There's also something about riding alone which verges on being theaputic. It's hard to explain, but I know I'm not the only one who feels it. Its somewhere in the silence. Something about being outdoors, being alone, spinning up a climb, checking the view, or railing a berm, waiting until the last second to grab the anchors, or not. The times when I know I was just flowing through, when instinct takes over from reactions.

When I stop at the end, scared, tired and smiling. If there's nobody else there, if I had nothing to prove and nobody to show, but I pinned it, then I'm happy. Its selfish really, but I like it.

i know what you mean, its all for that moment when you feel one with your bike and with nature, when nothing is pressuring you and nothing is holding you back, i think thats why anybody that rides rides alone in the first place, its all about that moment


^^^true, but its always fun to ride with friends cause they can push you to do more, and if you bail in the stupidest way, its always fun to have everyone of your friends crap themselves laughing lol

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 21:22 Quote
I usually prefer riding alone or with one or two select people. I only like to have a bunch if I am dirt jumpin cause then its like a jam, but on trails i dont like lots of people, its a hassle with people stopping, and what not. Just you, your bike and a good trail, there is nothing better.
Of course if your sending some serious shit its better to have others incase you crash but I am speaking for average rides where you just ride for fun.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
i ride alone alot... i hit the same shit alone as i do when i'm jammin with friends. i guess i ride for me, but it IS fun to have someone else there to share the feeling... plus, take a cell phone in case your ass gets busted up!

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 16:50 Quote
some people don't have the option of having people to go riding with.i don't know anybody to go with,so i have to go out myself.if i had people there i would push myself alot more.

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
I usually ride alone a lot and i find that it helps you get better because you know that if you get hurt no one is around to help so you do jumps and stuff a lot smoother and you focus more on landing and it helps me progress faster

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
yea i love riding alone, it helps a lot and sometimes its just more enjoyable, but doing group rides is also fun

Posted: May 21, 2008 at 18:57 Quote
I ride alone about half the time and i find it a lot safer. Cause generaly when riding with peeps things tend to get a little crazy. haha I hate peer pressure.Madder

| Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015876
Mobile Version of Website