PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success
Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 9:39 Quote
Getbent418 wrote:
What is the normal procedure when you buy something via paypal, like if i just paypal you 100$ it sounds pretty retarded.

Where is the base of the transaction like what you bought in wich condition for how much and all that.

Because from where i stand it souds retarded to pay someone without a ''contract'' that the third party (paypal) recognize as legit.

Bump

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 18:00 Quote
azbiker98 wrote:
Getbent418 wrote:
What is the normal procedure when you buy something via paypal, like if i just paypal you 100$ it sounds pretty retarded.

Where is the base of the transaction like what you bought in wich condition for how much and all that.

Because from where i stand it souds retarded to pay someone without a ''contract'' that the third party (paypal) recognize as legit.

Bump

The idea here is that contract is done through PayPal as a service. If you send someone $100 for a bike part being sold on PB, PayPal is means of creating a record of that money being transferred. If someone is using PayPal correctly, the shipping record can also be done through the site, thus providing both the seller and buyer with some tangible record of a sale. Point is, if you don't receive your item as the buyer, you file a claim and PayPal goes after the seller. It creates a much better chance of you getting your money back and avoiding a scam.

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 22:42 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
The idea here is that contract is done through PayPal as a service. If you send someone $100 for a bike part being sold on PB, PayPal is means of creating a record of that money being transferred. If someone is using PayPal correctly, the shipping record can also be done through the site, thus providing both the seller and buyer with some tangible record of a sale. Point is, if you don't receive your item as the buyer, you file a claim and PayPal goes after the seller. It creates a much better chance of you getting your money back and avoiding a scam.

I strongly suggest against seeing paypal as a form of protection. Many people say around here that it is the best way to "protect" both parties, but I don't think everybody has read the PayPal User Agreement. Buyers certainly still need to use prudence.

I will link it below, but basically it says buyer beware and if you do file a complaint and it goes in your favor you will ONLY get back the money that the seller CURRENTLY has in their PayPal account. Meaning that if by the time the complaint process is finished AND you win, the shady seller may have already taken the money out of the paypal account and put it in his bank account. Highly possible situation.

I suggest that when using pinkbike, once an agreement has been reached, the seller place a one-day auction on Ebay at the buy-it-now price they two parties agreed on. As well, you can agree on a time for the auction to go up so that only the buyer can win. This method seems fair to both parties and offers MUCH more protection to the buyer.

Point 13.5

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&fli=true&content_ID=ua/BuyerProtComp_full&locale.x=en_US

13.5 PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy.

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy.
The Buyer Complaint Policy is PayPal’s process to help you resolve a problem directly with the Seller through the PayPal Resolution Center for purchases that are not eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the Seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Even though you may escalate an Item Not Received Dispute to a Claim, you are not guaranteed recovery. If the Claim is decided in your favor, your recovery is limited to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the Seller’s Account.

Buyer Complaint Process.
Similar to PayPal Buyer Protection, you must file a Dispute in the PayPal Resolution Center within 45 days of the date you sent the payment. Once you have done so, you should attempt to resolve the Dispute directly with the Seller.

If you are unable to resolve the Dispute directly with the Seller then you may escalate the Dispute to a Claim within 20 days of the date you filed the Dispute. PayPal will make a final decision for some - but not all - Claims. You should not escalate a Dispute for Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) to a Claim because PayPal will not make a decision on a SNAD Claim under the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy.

If PayPal makes a final decision in your favor, we will collect any available funds in the Seller’s PayPal balance at that time. However, recovery is not guaranteed and is limited only to the amounts that PayPal can recover from the Seller’s Account. Any amounts collected from the Seller will be placed in your Account.

Posted: Jun 16, 2010 at 11:05 Quote
Okay, eBay auction, fantastic idea as well. Even so, you're still paying through PayPal or giving out your credit card number or bank account number in some way. A shady seller is a shady seller and they're out there. My post was simply meant to inform, by no means is it the only way things should be done and by no means is it meant to guarantee that you won't be scammed. I just want PB members to be aware of potential scamming techniques and some ways to avoid being scammed. I'm not looking to pick an argument with anyone here, I just answered your question based on how you asked it. So thanks for clearing up that there are ways around the PayPal agreements, but there are ways to get screwed no matter where or what you buy on the internet. Some protection is always better than none at all. It's like going out for a bike ride with/without a helmet and I think we all know how touchy a subject that is on PB. Our opinions on what is safe or wise are always going to differ so all in all, just try to make sure the seller is decent human being as best as you possibly can.

Posted: Jun 17, 2010 at 15:28 Quote
skatefreak282 wrote:
Okay, eBay auction, fantastic idea as well. Even so, you're still paying through PayPal or giving out your credit card number or bank account number in some way. A shady seller is a shady seller and they're out there. My post was simply meant to inform, by no means is it the only way things should be done and by no means is it meant to guarantee that you won't be scammed. I just want PB members to be aware of potential scamming techniques and some ways to avoid being scammed. I'm not looking to pick an argument with anyone here, I just answered your question based on how you asked it. So thanks for clearing up that there are ways around the PayPal agreements, but there are ways to get screwed no matter where or what you buy on the internet. Some protection is always better than none at all. It's like going out for a bike ride with/without a helmet and I think we all know how touchy a subject that is on PB. Our opinions on what is safe or wise are always going to differ so all in all, just try to make sure the seller is decent human being as best as you possibly can.

...totally agree with you and my response (which quoted you) did not actually have anything to do with you in particular. I did a search for the term "paypal" on here just to see what came up and I noticed a lot of people saying that they use paypal so that both parties are protected. Definitely worth shedding more light on...

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 at 5:53 Quote
mmm, regarding paypal.. ive got mixed reactions with them.. yeah they are safe, but when a problem arises, they have their hands tied.. all because the guy.. (who may have vanished completely, and then your screwed.. ) said he will pay, or will post, then puts it off, then puts it off... they cant do anything.. the yare under the wing of both sides of the debate,, i have been dealing with vinyl for 20 years and have been scammed for more than a few! paypal always have the same excuse! he says hes going to do it.

Posted: Nov 13, 2010 at 16:55 Quote
What does Pinkbike itself do with fraud in its buy/sell pages? Ban the user? anything?

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
I cant believe there isnt a way to have a contract tha protects both parties. Seems that ebay+paypal is the safest solution but still does ebay ensures that you get your money back if your item isnt being posted or you get your item back once you post it and there's no money? Isnt there somekind of online contract for both parties to e-sign?

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 10:00 Quote
Personally I'm all the way with COD, because it's the only way to make a dissent agreement when the third party is participating. In my opinion the buyer have to ask seller to pack the item that it could be seen when it arrives(that's in case if the courier won't let you open the package). As for seller, not to risk loosing his item he can choose any company he wants that provides COD and make an agreement with them. There are a lot of shipping companies that can be trusted.
I don't see any problems here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers Alex

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 13:20 Quote
Don't buy from this douch, jon123rjk, he will waste your time, tell you he'll sell something to you, then while ur figuring the details out, go and sell it to somebody else, and not tell you

Posted: Mar 26, 2013 at 13:07 Quote
Wow I must be lucky.I've sold a kona and bought a norco through pinkbike and never had a single problem.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 21:35 Quote
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this already, but this is something I do when I'm purchasing. Ask for/provide references.

I understand that I'm fairly new to PB. I came here specifically because more than one local rider told me that Pinkbike is the place to be for what I'm looking for. In the case of right now, it's a complete DJ. 6 months ago it was a set of Shimano cranks.

I'm more than willing to provide references. I only have one directly purchased from PB (the guy I bought the cranks from) and could provide that person as a reference. I'll provide character references, especially if you race BMX Nationals, you may know some of the local guys to me. Even if that isn't the case, some of them are on here that can provide a character reference. Which will probably read something to the effect of, "The coolest goofy guy I know". LOL Yes, that was said about me just this past Saturday at a trail jam. LOL I can also provide a Business reference, which for me is always Gatenine Design. www.gateninedesign.com (Manufacturer of custom number plates) whom I've bought 20 number plates off of over the last 2 years all paid via paypal.

If a person has some good references and you spend a day or two to follow up on those references, especially from well established users, it's probably going to be a bit safer than going in blindly.

Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 7:13 Quote
I bought an item from someone here on PB on 6/29/13 and was responded by the seller that they are boxed up and ready to ship in the morning. Have not received anything and have not been responded since then. He also lives in the US so even the cheapest shipping would have already arrived.

Question is how long is long enough to wait before placing a transaction complaint to Paypal?

Posted: Jul 22, 2013 at 21:35 Quote
karlomtz wrote:
I bought an item from someone here on PB on 6/29/13 and was responded by the seller that they are boxed up and ready to ship in the morning. Have not received anything and have not been responded since then. He also lives in the US so even the cheapest shipping would have already arrived.

Question is how long is long enough to wait before placing a transaction complaint to Paypal?

Always contact the seller first and try to find a resolution. Always get the tracking number from the seller so you can track it along the way, but as I recently found out, shipped items don't always track. If he says its been shipped and you are unable to track it, I would give it 10 business days (2 weeks) before doing anything. Sometimes packages do get lost, or not scanned into the system until it is half way across the country (what happened to me recently).

A pic of the airbill from the seller can help, but in order to get that you have to remain cool about the situation and just talk to the seller as if it's a shipping company issue. My package finally showed up in the system 7 days after it had been shipped and I had it in hand 2 days later. Another rider I know actually works for UPS, so he gave me a lot of information, which explained the whole mess, which all boiled down to it not getting scanned in at its Origin and from Cali to Chicago it goes by train, so there was no activity on the airbill till it was already almost here.

I always ask that parts be shipped by a way that there will be a tracking number, whether its UPS, FedEX or USPS, they can all provide tracking and if it costs a little extra for peace of mind, then so be it.

Communication is key though. The first question will be to verify that he did send it. If not, when can you expect it shipped, if so, please provide tracking number. Keep constant contact with the seller until Item is received and out of courtesy, let the seller know you have received it.

Sometimes things do happen that delay shipping. "Sorry, my mother just passed away and I've been dealing with funeral arrangements. I'm sorry, but it will be a few more days, but I will get it out to you."

That is totally acceptable by me, as with many other reasons I have been given. As long as you're cool and the seller's cool, you can never communicate too much.

I have always gotten my package eventually and filing a dispute with paypal wouldn't cross my mind if the seller is still communicating with me and it hasn't been a month. Although after 2 weeks, I would confirm shipment and tracking number with the seller.

That's my take on it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 18:34 Quote
any tips on straight bike trades with no money involved, the distance between us is also too large to arrange a meetup,

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026881
Mobile Version of Website