PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
PINKBIKE BUY/SELL: The Ultimate Guide to Success
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
boostmerchant wrote:
I'm in the UK, bought from a guy in Germany who spoke good English (most do).

Had no problems, got what I wanted from him, rare parts too, unless you face a language barrier, I wouldn't let buying from another country put you off buying from another member on here, or even selling to another country, include insurance for a total loss, just remember to use PayPal!

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
Thanks for the answer though i think just by using PayPal and hoping that all goes well isn't enough its a leap of faith and nothing is sure except if it is from a site that accept PayPal as a payment method. When a transaction is made between 2 people that don't know who is the the other person a lot of things might go wrong and you or the other might loose money or your thing that you are trying to sell. PayPal is good but it has a lot terms and conditions that most people including me don't know about.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
Any suggestions on dealing with a bike purchased on PinkBike Buy/Sell that showed up not in the condition advertised? I asked several questions about bikes condition and the seller omitted issues on found both in his advertisements and communications to me. Damage and problems do not appear to be shipping related. Repairs and parts replacement will likely cost several hundred dollars minimum but likely more. PayPal was used for transaction. Let me know if there is a different forum I need to post to.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
mustcomedown wrote:
Any suggestions on dealing with a bike purchased on PinkBike Buy/Sell that showed up not in the condition advertised? I asked several questions about bikes condition and the seller omitted issues on found both in his advertisements and communications to me. Damage and problems do not appear to be shipping related. Repairs and parts replacement will likely cost several hundred dollars minimum but likely more. PayPal was used for transaction. Let me know if there is a different forum I need to post to.

Talk to the guy first, if he's being uncooperative you might be able to involve paypal

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
T4THH wrote:
mustcomedown wrote:

Talk to the guy first, if he's being uncooperative you might be able to involve paypal

Agree, re: talk to the dude firsrt. If he's honest, he should offer to refund some amount of $$ to you. If he doesn't he may say that the bike was as described, and may refuse to refund any $$. Do not fall for the bike was fine when it was sent. As a last resort, file a claim with paypal, and don't wait to long, as he also may try to stall you from doing so.
Good luck.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 21:33 Quote
Lots of good advice and real life experiences in this thread. Thanks. About to sell my first bike on PB and here’s what I’m hearing:
1. Transactions through PayPal provide some but not 100% assurance
2. Possible way to back-up a PayPal transaction is to do a one day sale of the bike on e-bay such that your buyer is ready to purchase as soon as you post. This will invoke e-bays buyer/seller guarantee, and if PayPal is used for payment, their guarantee as well.
3. Encourage the buyer to ask lots of questions and document all your answers and back it all up with lots of pictures. Tell them you will answer all questions honestly and provide any pictures requested, but that the sale is “as is”, so they better ask.
4. Consider buying shipping insurance and make buyer file claim if they claim any damage.
5. Check references - check PB profile, ask for personal references, friend on Facebook, get cell number and talk on the phone. Check age of buyer to ensure over 18 (lots of issues entering into contracts with minors).
6. In person sales - ask to hold car keys or money with the “you break you bought” disclaimer. Also consider showing up with a second person and second bike so you can follow them on their test ride (just make sure you are the stronger rider).
7. Consider using an online escrow company, instead of PayPal, that holds the money in escrow until goods are delivered and approved. If buyer is unhappy with the condition they then have 10 days to return goods at their shipping cost or the money is released to you. Insist on insurance on any returned goods to cover the doofus that just throws it back in the box with no padding. (Anyone try an online escrow? I didn’t see it in the thread and thought it better than PayPal when I read about it)
8. More good info here: https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=113294
Anything else?

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
I have been reading through all the tips and advise for purchasing here on pinkbike. I am new to the forum and actually stumbled across it while searching for bikes. Found some really decent prices on a few road bikes here. It can be pretty scarry trying to buy a bike when you can`t see it in person and have no idea who the person you are buying it from is. Having said that I wouldn't even consider buying here from a new member. As for me being a new member. Just trying to let potential sellers know I am a legit person from Illinois looking to purchase a 52 Trek domane or Emonda road bike.

Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 16:47 Quote
User jadi90m likely scammer.

Asking for PayPal screenshot of transaction.

Had a gut feeling but gave it a go.. had a few good replies.

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 8:33 Quote
Avoid this guy.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/ollydon/

Purchased the fork he had for sale and he went radio silent. Won't respond to my messages and never sent me a tracking number. Wanted to know my phone number after I paid him. Had to open a dispute with PayPal.

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 8:42 Quote
prj71 wrote:
Avoid this guy.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/ollydon/

Purchased the fork he had for sale and he went radio silent. Won't respond to my messages and never sent me a tracking number. Wanted to know my phone number after I paid him. Had to open a dispute with PayPal.

Post this comment in the Report Scammers thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149619&pagenum=558#commentid7202839

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.034928
Mobile Version of Website