Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
Hi guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

I'm looking for a new set of rims as I buckled my Sun Ringle Single Tracks. I do alot of Freeride and Downhill, I don't care about hubs Im just imtrested in Rims. I'm looking for something Light, Strong a durable, as they say rotational weight is worth twice as much! Colour doesn't bother me anything but White, Red, Silver or Black would be nice. I will obivously need something strong as we all land abit dogie and side ways from time to time and I hammer the rock gardens...

Cheers Beer

Adrenalinaddict

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 16:52 Quote
Halo SAS 780g
Spank Stiffy from 700g
Mavic EX 729 675g
Sun ringle double track 760g or 850g

they were all i could could find on crc that i would like hope that helps

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 16:57 Quote
If you want something that's light and strong I'd say try some Syncros DPS 32's (685 g.) or their new DPS 28 (545 g.). They're sick, I ride hard and have yet to even knock a syncros out of true! If you want to try something super light, I've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.
I'd probably stick with Syncros though, I've had a ton of experience with their rims and I love them!

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
mavic 721. 729 if your a hack. both really strong, 729 is heavier but more beastly. 721 is holding perfect to my spins and tricks all the time, i spin A LOT. so im sure theyll hold up nicely for DH

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 17:34 Quote
bigquotesI've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.
I use stans flow rims on my suspension bike and my hardtail. Very light,strong and crazy fast wheels when you use them stans.
http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/679/products_id/344

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
Buy like 10 rhyno lites for mad cheap. There light and work surprisingly well.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
why would you buy ten and have to pay to get them laced up every time you wreck one beyond truability instead of just buying one semi expensive strong rim youll only have to lace once? labour for lacing is about 40 dollars a wheel so thats 800$ that you would've wasted.

Mod
Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 20:14 Quote
I'm happy with my Mavic 721's. Though if you want to run tubeless you might want to go for something else like 823's.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
JesusJohn wrote:
bigquotesI've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.
I use stans flow rims on my suspension bike and my hardtail. Very light,strong and crazy fast wheels when you use them stans.
http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/679/products_id/344

Stans rims are great. They'll get knocked out of true after a bit of hard riding, but once they are re-trued, they'll last forever with little maintenence.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 at 23:31 Quote
spank spikes are my choice or funn decender both light and devalishly strong.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 3:59 Quote
fire eye excelernt rims are strong

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 4:45 Quote
ex721s are a really good rim. not too pricy but still light and strong. i use them for street and downhill and they do more then just hold up fine, been running them since the beginning of the year and its only slightly buckled i cant even notice it when i ride im just too lazy to true it. i dont think ill ever use another rim

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 5:22 Quote
Remember that you can also get away with a lighter front rim. Say run an 819 upfront and 823 in the rear.

As mentioned Stans ZTR, DT 5.1, Mavic 819/721, Syncros DS28, Sun Ringle Equalizer 31.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
i got the 2009 mavic deetrak they are strong and cheap

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040597
Mobile Version of Website