Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
robc wrote:
I am in love with my Syncos DS 28s...I have been runing them for 2 years now and never had a failure; or flat spots when at or above 35 psi. I was 198lbs last year and this year I am 220 (ya fat and lazy haha) and we ride a ton of gnar stuff here.They are like 540 grams (32 hole)I think and fairly cheap and turn well. Hope that helps

how do you get any traction at 35psi? Confused

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
Its easy, manafacturers recommended pressures usually start at 35PSI so it has to be possible.

I ride at 40-42psi right now and traction isnt a problem if your suspension is set up right...it took some getting used too and sometimes I do crave a bit more traction from my old days of 29-32psi but I would never go back now. Rolls so fast and my suspension feels like its still at 29-32 psi, just on steep polished slopes of clay I wish I had 29-psi...no biggie I think it has more advantages than disadvantages otherwise I would still be at 29-32psi.

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 16:16 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help, at the mo' I am most intrested in the Stan's ZTR flow rims as I sounds the best but I can find little user reviews on it except for the one on the previous page (Thanks). If anyone has them or has a better option then please Comment!! I can get hold of theese rims at one of my local bike shops, Freeborn for £68.99 is that a good deal?

Thanks guys tup

mtbmaniak wrote:
I've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.

Stans ZTR rims are not suitable for DH/FR...hype.

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 17:12 Quote
points to remember.... you're gonna destroy any rim eventually, so I'd take weight over strength as the performance benefits are way better, but for downhill use, if you go too lightweight you will have a wheel that flexes too much and doesn't track well, especially for the front wheel - for a fs bike, get both rims the same, but for a hardtail, its best to have s stronger back wheel.

deciding how light to go depends largely on rider preference, type of dh terrain, budget & how often you crash...

for instance, I've used Mavic Xc717's on a dh bike at Cwmcarn and they held up fineEek , but I trashed both my Ex729's dirt jumping (I crash waaaaay more dj'ing!).

The lightest 'strong' rim and [/] absolute lightest dh usable rim each company makes would be something like this:

Mavic - En521 / Xm719/819

Sun - MTX29 / EQ29 (I use these now and they've held up amicably so far)

Stans ZTR flow - same weight as Mavic Xm719, probably to flexy to attain a decent level of dh worthy performance IMO!

DT Swiss - Ex500 / M480

Spank - make some good rims, but I don't know much about this company

Posted: Oct 13, 2009 at 22:28 Quote
badgermeister wrote:
anyone have any experience on the new crossmax sx wheelset? for enduro riding but i am a heavy rider (110kg fully laden) and think whilst the last years deemax's are reduced i may go for them. i need 135mm x 12mm thru axle wheels but lightweight would be good!

i have a set, they are amazing wheels. they held up on my bottlerocket without going out of true for a season's worth of bike park riding (diablo+highland mainly) i also did some xc/am riding with them on my reign. they are solid, reliable, very stiff and quite light. the only problem with them is (from what i've heard) when they do break they fold in half. oh, yeah i weigh like 100kg

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 4:19 Quote
i'm getting a set of them soon, just saving for some 36 float rc2's first. i had a good old feel of them and compared them to alot of the other mavic products at the cycle show in london over the weekend so these are definitely getting bought at xmas!

Posted: Oct 22, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
Just tossing it out there, but Atomlab PimpLite rims are everything they're cracked up to be. Relatively light (570g.) but with the strength you come to expect from Atomlab. I've ran Atomlab wheels for 3 years now, and I'd be hard pressed to change anytime soon.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2013 at 19:17 Quote
the lightest rims are the havoc 26" wheelset

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
............................grave dig......................................

Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 6:30 Quote
For my next bike it will either be :

Easton havoc
Spank race28
Sun ringle ADD expert/pro
Mavic ex823

I had a ex823 rear and a xm 819 front and had no problems. Ran tubeless too, now i'm wondering if the other wheelsets i listed above would hold up to a 200 lbs guy who goes sideways.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2013 at 6:31 Quote
230lbs on Atomlab DHRs here

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016690
Mobile Version of Website