Rear Derailleur hits frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear Derailleur hits frame
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:34 Quote
hey, i have a question...

When i ride my bike and go over bumps the derailleur will bounce up and hit my frame and make a very loud noise not to mention chipping paint. At first i thought it was the chain ( which now i think is very stupid cus its too loud for it to be that) but after further inspection i've realized its the derailleur....what can i do to to fix this ??

lately ive just put some padding their but id really rather fix it... Razz

p.s. i have a norco bigfoot

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
what derailleur you running?

and theirs a screw on the back of most derailleurs which will tension it more, preventing it moving round and hitting your frame

just look for scew which goes through the back of the derailleur and into the hanger or a plate which pushes the hanger.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
i now what your saying,it use to happin to me i had a a shimano deore,now i have a saint and it does not doing it again,im not sure but i think the spring is not thght enought.sorry for my bad english

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
Im guessing its a deore? if so then theres nothing you can do, lower end shimano stuff does that. When you decide to upgrade switch over to Sram, they dont do that. For now youll have to wrap some tubes around where it hits the frame, do it sooner then later, iv seen frames that have been severly dented or worn through by that, then the frame is toast.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
downhilljoker wrote:
Im guessing its a deore? if so then theres nothing you can do, lower end shimano stuff does that. When you decide to upgrade switch over to Sram, they dont do that. For now youll have to wrap some tubes around where it hits the frame, do it sooner then later, iv seen frames that have been severly dented or worn through by that, then the frame is toast.
why frame as almost a hole,its 4-5mm deep buy hitting on the frame,i have a saint and it does not do that any more

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:56 Quote
ASiT wrote:

When i ride my bike and go over bumps the derailleur will bounce up and hit my frame and make a very loud noise not to mention chipping paint. At first i thought it was the chain ( which now i think is very stupid cus its too loud for it to be that) but after further inspection i've realized its the derailleur....what can i do to to fix this ??

check your derailer for tightness but it may just be worn out or bent tho

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
bigquoteswhy frame as almost a hole,its 4-5mm deep buy hitting on the frame,i have a saint and it does not do that any more

high end shimano stuff dosnt, but the low end stuff does.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
downhilljoker wrote:

yea there is you can prevent it, i did it to my mates deore because i asked me how to stop it and i screwed that screw in practically as far as it went and wa-la it worked Wink

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Screwing in the c-adjustment screw won't help, it'll just make the derailleur work shitty.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
so the only solution is to keep padding the frame seeing as i don't want to buy a new derailleur Razz

Posted: Apr 17, 2012 at 22:53 Quote
ASiT wrote:

I saw all the answer to your questions, but looks like none of them are right. Deore is a very good class of Shimano, all you need to do is cutting the hose of the cable attaching to your rear derailleur a bit shorter, that's all.

Cheers.

Posted: Apr 18, 2012 at 12:51 Quote
Check the chain I bet It's gone slack or hasn't been sized properly, don't cut anything!

If you still have problems when chain is at a good size, the use the hanger adjustment screw, if you still have probs then, find a bloke called dave and all will be solved!

Posted: Apr 18, 2012 at 12:55 Quote
The older Shimano mechs will hit the frame due to the design of them. Shimano changed this with the Shadow range of mechs, taking it further with the new clutch system. Change your mech to a newer Shimano Shadow mech and that will solve it, or change to Sram (new shifter and mech)

Posted: Apr 19, 2012 at 13:22 Quote
Nah Dave can fix it honest Razz

Posted: Apr 21, 2012 at 5:20 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
Screwing in the c-adjustment screw won't help, it'll just make the derailleur work shitty.
+1 all the B limit screw does is change the space between top jockey wheel and your cassette you need to be as close as u can with out any contact, to far away and all you get is shitty shifting

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012199
Mobile Version of Website