Bike rack problem

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike rack problem
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
Please advise if this specific forum section is appropriate, I couldn't see anything which I thought was better for the topic. I don't know if anyone has had this problem but the car I use is a Toyota Aygo, and the whole back door is glass, so I'm worrying that the excess pressure of three bikes on the rack may crack or damage it. I'm assuming that the glass is hardened or heat treated or something, as it is strong enough to withstand being slammed shut and it is about 1cm thick. Please advise if anybody has any suggestions or has come across this problem or similar before. I have pics of the setup on my profile page.

Thanks, Lewis.

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
i dont think there will be a problem. iv got a rack that tacks for dh bikes and it rests on the glass on my car and theres not anything ify. if ur glass is 1cm thick then ur not gonna have a prob. u could always ring toyota and say what u wanna do.

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 11:47 Quote
photo

photo

photo

photo

That'll save you going to look at them on the profile. Smile

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
make a board for it to spred the pressure

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
just shift it down lower when you have your bikes on and let it rest on the bumper, only problem with this is if there is not enough room to keep the wheels from dragging on the ground.

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 at 8:22 Quote
The thing is with that idea, is that the bumper is just pretty thin plastic. Putting weight on it would make it crack when the car went over a bump. Frown

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
Yeah, its mega flexible and would definitely not support the weight of the bikes

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
it should be fine, i can't see that cracking the glass as long as the straps arent done up ridiculously tight. The glass is probably really strong to comply with H&S standards.

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 at 11:52 Quote
Yeah, that's the other worry, when a certain degree of strain is put on the rack, when we pushed on it, the glass did flex a bit, although im doubtful that the glass will put as much strain on it as we did

Posted: Sep 27, 2009 at 1:22 Quote
You should be fine, my rack rests on glass that's def not 1cm thick! And my whole boot door flexs when i do the straps up tight. Has never been a problem though even over speed bumps a bit too fast! Don't put three bikes on if you can help it, you will be fine with 1 or 2 but 3 can be too much depending on how heavy your bikes are.

Posted: Sep 27, 2009 at 8:59 Quote
ok thanks for the help

FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 at 9:08 Quote
thats what the rubber bits are for, there really isnt much weight on it when you think about it and how its spread, you could push the car on the glass and it wouldnt break so rekon it should be fine

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 1:27 Quote
Hi I just found this thread and I'm having the same issue. I've been wondering have you tested this with 3 bikes.

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
hajlender wrote:
Hi I just found this thread and I'm having the same issue. I've been wondering have you tested this with 3 bikes.

Hi hajlender. I ended up never using this type of bike rack on the car as I thought it too likely the glass would break. I ended up buying a mount designed specifically for the Toyota Aygo (you can see it here demonstrated on a Citroen which uses the same system - http://tinyurl.com/ybv43nv8 ).

I no longer have the car but still have the rack and no longer use it. If you are interested I'm happy to sell this rack to you?

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
kerr982 wrote:
I no longer have the car but still have the rack and no longer use it. If you are interested I'm happy to sell this rack to you?

Hi! Do you by any chance still have it?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019719
Mobile Version of Website