Commencal supreme dh 2010

PB Forum :: Downhill
Commencal supreme dh 2010
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
hello guys looking to buy a new bike for 2010, looking to start abit of racing next year so i thought i would get a more race specific bike.
im am leaning towards the new commencal supreme dh and just wondering what are your thoughts

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3892967/

this bike is to retail at about £3200 (pretty much my limit) do you think its a worthy purchase?

any comments from owners of the this or the 09 model on the bikes ride and so on would be helpfull.

* i am looking to buy a full bike, not a frame, because i just dont have the money to build one up if i spend 2000 on a frame *

SPEC:-
PRODUCT MODEL YEAR: 2010
PRODUCT OPTIONS: small/medium, large/xl
Frame: Updated for 2010 to lower weight and tweak the handling. Adjustable head angle, wheel base and rear brake position. 200mm rear wheel travel via FOX VAN R.

Forks: New Rock Shox Boxxer Race
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SAINT
Front Derailleur: E13 LS1 with Taco
Shifters: Shimano SLX right
Chainset: Truvativ Hussefelt 38t w/howitzer interface
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Howitzer
Chain: KMC 9s
Freewheel: Sram PG-950 11-28
Headset: Tange Fatty MX2 1"1/8
Stem: FSA GRAVITY GAP integrated
Handlebars: Truvativ Holzfeller low rise
Front Brake: AVID ELIXIR 5
Rear Brake: AVID ELIXIR 5
Brake Levers: AVID ELIXIR 5
Rims Sun Rims: Equalizer 31 White
Front Hub: Commençal disc 20mm Sealed
Rear Hub: Commencal disc sealed bearings 12mm
Spokes: Stainless 64p 3x lacing
Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.5
Saddle: SDG Micro I BEAM
Seatpost: SDG I Fly
Pedals: Flats
Grips: Commençal Deluxe Lock-On
Weight: 39lbs approx

bottom line is i want a dh bike to start abit of racing but cant afford to build one (it will take me like 2-3 years) and just wondered what people though of the bike, i know some of the spec could be better but that can always be upgraded at a later date

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
Not gna lie dude...
for that price you should build your own bike, 3200pounds is like 5-6grand cdn, I can build a dream bike for that price with a much better spec.
The commencal is a great frame though

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Not gna lie dude...
for that price you should build your own bike, 3200pounds is like 5-6grand cdn, I can build a dream bike for that price with a much better spec.
The commencal is a great frame though

yh but stuff is exspensive in the uk

decent fram you looking at £2000
forks £600 min
brakes £ 200
wheels £300 for a half decent set
cranks, chain device, rear mech, shifter £not cheap

you can see where this is going...

most people i know have pretty gd set ups and they are looking at around 4500-5000
i dont have that kind of money and my current bike is on the way out

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:48 Quote
Wow thats a lot of cash....
What other bikes are you looking at?
re-reading your post I wouldn't reccommend a Supreme DH as a first time race bike....especially if your on a low budget, they are really high maintenance, like all race bikes.

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 14:58 Quote
nishnash wrote:
re-reading your post I wouldn't reccommend a Supreme DH as a first time race bike....especially if your on a low budget, they are really high maintenance, like all race bikes.

yh it adds up quite quick lol thats 17.5% VAT for you

maintenance isnt too much of and issue as i know a few bike mechanics and there are a few shops around me that do a gd service super cheap, so thats ok.

pretty much i want a dh bike to start abit of racing but cant afford to build one (it will take me like 2-3 years) and just wondered what people though of the bike, i know some of the spec could be better but that can always be upgraded at a later date

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
JoshJonesdh08 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

maintenance isnt too much of and issue as i know a few bike mechanics and there are a few shops around me that do a gd service super cheap, so thats ok.

pretty much i want a dh bike to start abit of racing but cant afford to build one (it will take me like 2-3 years) and just wondered what people though of the bike, i know some of the spec could be better but that can always be upgraded at a later date
Bearings cost money, no matter how much the mechs like you.
and if you only want to start a bitod racing, keep your big hit dude.
The Supreme DH is a RACE ONLY bike, coming from someone who's ridden one, they are super slack, super long, and the suspension is great but feels weird if you dont set it up perfect, and it only performs exceptionally well when going fast.

I love the bike, but coming from someone who rode theirs for a while, and got a new frame, dont buy it unless your using it only for racing.

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
In february i got a 2009 supreme DH for $1700 = 1000 GBP more or less. 3 weeks later i put the bike all together on the parts that i want it. All parts brand new, all 2009 spec. and the bike cost me $3200 = 1950 GBP at today's exchange rate. And the new frame w/o shock is $1400 - $1500 from the distributor like BTI - Bicycle Technologies International. And how i know ? because a friend of mine got one a month later. Bike rides like a dream and i beat the $hit out of it sorta speak heheeh
BUT to spend 3200 GBP = 5245 USD its kind too much for that spec. that you want to get.. think it over cos its a lot of mula..

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
Those prices are innacurate.
The frame costs $3500.

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
nishnash wrote:
JoshJonesdh08 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

Bearings cost money, no matter how much the mechs like you.
and if you only want to start a bitod racing, keep your big hit dude.
The Supreme DH is a RACE ONLY bike, coming from someone who's ridden one, they are super slack, super long, and the suspension is great but feels weird if you dont set it up perfect, and it only performs exceptionally well when going fast.

I love the bike, but coming from someone who rode theirs for a while, and got a new frame, dont buy it unless your using it only for racing.

yh i would keep the big hit for abit longer but its kind of on the way out now its had allot of very heavy hits,im surprised that its lasted till now and the other thing its a size large which it too big for me really, i got it because at the time it was a very good price for what it was, if i was buying it new it would haev been size medium, but beggers cant be choosers.

any other bikes you would suggest? (full bikes not frames)

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
Ok if you want to get rid of the big hit,
get a different bike that isn't as race dedicated as the commencal. Transition Blindside? Banshee Scythe?
Something along those lines, a freeride bike that can be raced. If you have a low limited budget, and only doing some racing a dedicated race bike isnt smart, unless your an absolutely amazing rider, or a light rider.

Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
nishnash wrote:
get a different bike that isn't as race dedicated as the commencal. Transition Blindside? Banshee Scythe?
Something along those lines, a freeride bike that can be raced. If you have a low limited budget, and only doing some racing a dedicated race bike isnt smart, unless your an absolutely amazing rider, or a light rider.

light rider? as in my weight or riding style

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
JoshJonesdh08 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

As in weight.
unless your willing to do alot of maintenance.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 at 10:36 Quote
nishnash wrote:
JoshJonesdh08 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

As in weight.

thats alright then, there nothing too me. i think im gunna take you advice though, il prob get the commencal but keep it for racing and days when i go to proper dh tracks/uplift days. but i my trade my big hit with some one who has a more freeride type bike for general use.

Posted: Sep 8, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
nishnash wrote:
JoshJonesdh08 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

As in weight.

I have ridden and raced my Supreme all season, and it has required practically zero maintenance, no bearings or pivots have had any problems. It rides by far better for anything than a blindside or scythe, and it has adjustable geometry so you can run it in the super slack long mode, but if you are just starting racing or riding DH than you can have it at a pretty standard geometry setting, 17.5 chainstay and a 65 degree HA. Regardless of the riders skill level it will be the best performing and most fun to ride out of any of his options.

I have kept an open mind about all bikes, and have ridden several other high-end DH bikes, and they all fall short of the Commencals overall performance. Definitely get the Supreme.

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 at 11:41 Quote
I have ridden and raced my Supreme all season, and it has required practically zero maintenance, no bearings or pivots have had any problems. It rides by far better for anything than a blindside or scythe, and it has adjustable geometry so you can run it in the super slack long mode, but if you are just starting racing or riding DH than you can have it at a pretty standard geometry setting, 17.5 chainstay and a 65 degree HA. Regardless of the riders skill level it will be the best performing and most fun to ride out of any of his options.

I have kept an open mind about all bikes, and have ridden several other high-end DH bikes, and they all fall short of the Commencals overall performance. Definitely get the Supreme.[/Quote]

ha boxxerman i have personal messaged you before on the sizing Smile
i probally will buy the commencal, i was just wondering what people though of the new spec and weather its worth it or not, hopefully as 2010 comes in some sites may sell it slightly cheaper than others. there are only 2 sites selling it at the moment and they are both charging £3200, some sites other sites may show competetive prices in 2010 some im going to wait till then
the frames is said to be lighter for 2010 and "slightly refined" and you also get boxxers over 888 and an LG1 insted of just some sort or roller. also some of the componants are better.
personally do you think its worth saving and spending the extra £1000 for the new one or getting the old one and spending the money one upgrades anyway, i was planning on 40's or new boxxers, LG1 and stuff anyway.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013460
Mobile Version of Website