Old School Politics

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old School Politics
Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 20:07 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
In my 2nd year of Industrial Design now.
Anyone want to hook a brother up with a design job in the bike industry?

Lets combine powers and take over the bike world

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 23:49 Quote
Do that. Then send it to me and I'll test it in NZ like it appears every brand ever is doing. Fly Brandon down and he can shoot it and make it a 'photo epic' for the front page.

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 23:54 Quote
Do that. Then send it to me and I'll test it in NZ like it appears every brand ever is doing. Fly Brandon and Sam down and they can shoot it and make it a 'photo epic' for the front page.

Get Harry to write it the words.

Old School Politics has hit the big leagues.

Get josh to be the business consultant. Laurie can be the Business Model. Reck and Sherbs can be the logistics, all those goat path trips had to be good training at that. Reck can deliver the goods in the cholowagon.

CR can be the moral compass.

Terry can be the team psych.

All of the wasted hours in this group finally coming to be something.

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 4:14 Quote
Damn. Yall going places, and I'm just staying put while maybe partying too much and taking more photos of myself.

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 4:30 Quote
Shiiiiit dotca. You've been doing well, no? Didn't you win that Rent thing? It's pretty crazy to think how far give come from organizing your first jam at what? 14?

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 11:52 Quote
I am in the middle of designing a frame currently... Some sort of steel, big wheeled bike. Figure it would be a fun little project and I should take advantage of having Solidworks access while I'm still in school. I could pretty much do everything in terms of designing/manufacturing except for welding. This will be happening soon assuming I get my normal tax return.

I'd love to do a full suspension bike, but thats a bit harder.... Hurray patents on every decent linkage out there. Single pivot is boring. Baby steps, hardtail first.

Hardtail, big wheeled bike. what would you be looking for? In terms of geometry, extras, etc. Leaving it pretty wide open, gimme your ideas!

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 16:56 Quote
27.5 x 3" wheels with decent mud clearance. 67° ha. 130mm fork. Short chainstays, threaded bb. Boost axles. Internal routing for a dropper. Rack mounts, fender mounts. Two bottle cages Maybe some sort of sliding drop out for the single speeders. If there was a way to build a frame with the swat box that specialized has on the stumpy that would be sick.

Or build a legit commuter bike.

Something that fits up to a 45c studded tire with fenders. Make some real sturdy metal fenders. Belt drive it. Disc brakes. Similar geometry to a cross bike. Rack mounts or a burly, simple built in rack and basket. Stem that has a built in GoPro mount and then make adapters that adapt the popular light brands to the GoPro standard.

I've been wondering the feasibility of starting a bike company. The urban market seems so underserved. Commuting is getting bigger and bigger and really only specialized is pushing hard on their development. Spot make some cool bikes but flashy where they don't need to be and lacking where they should be.

I would like to kinda fit between Surly and Spot. I think that would be a solid place to be.

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 18:15 Quote
Three bottle bolts for the SWAT stuff, removable drops for belt drive.

Mod
Posted: Feb 25, 2016 at 18:31 Quote
or go build a dj bike. Fewer and fewer companies are making a solid dj bike these days. I've been keeping my eyes out for a new one as my flow frame is somewhere between 9 and 11 years old (was a warranty replacement), but really none of the companies I want to buy from even make dj's anymore. It makes me sad that many of the big companies are just pushing out 27.5 and 29 enduro type bikes and ignoring other markets.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 2:27 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Shiiiiit dotca. You've been doing well, no? Didn't you win that Rent thing? It's pretty crazy to think how far give come from organizing your first jam at what? 14?

Yeah, I've been doing pretty good. I won Rent Cheque with my friend, but like stripping to Hotline Bling isn't worth bragging about, haha. Yeah somewhere around that age I guess? Grade 10, so 2008?

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 19:50 Quote
Hi.

I'm glad everyone's succeeding in their own way. Thing's are pretty swell over here, too. I started Brazilian jiu-jitsu last month and I'm hooked. I've been going from 6-7am before work.

Been really down on my current job. It turns out getting smacked and/or bit and/or hit and/or screamed at and/or every thing else I deal with at work is pretty lame day-in-day-out. So I've been applying to new jobs and have an interview on Wednesday. But if that doesn't work out, I'll just keep troopin' on.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 22:53 Quote
bonfire wrote:
27.5 x 3" wheels with decent mud clearance. 67° ha. 130mm fork. Short chainstays, threaded bb. Boost axles. Internal routing for a dropper. Rack mounts, fender mounts. Two bottle cages Maybe some sort of sliding drop out for the single speeders. If there was a way to build a frame with the swat box that specialized has on the stumpy that would be sick.

Or build a legit commuter bike.

Something that fits up to a 45c studded tire with fenders. Make some real sturdy metal fenders. Belt drive it. Disc brakes. Similar geometry to a cross bike. Rack mounts or a burly, simple built in rack and basket. Stem that has a built in GoPro mount and then make adapters that adapt the popular light brands to the GoPro standard.

I've been wondering the feasibility of starting a bike company. The urban market seems so underserved. Commuting is getting bigger and bigger and really only specialized is pushing hard on their development. Spot make some cool bikes but flashy where they don't need to be and lacking where they should be.

I would like to kinda fit between Surly and Spot. I think that would be a solid place to be.

27.5" bike: I dig pretty much everything you said, I was wanting a bike for myself that was pretty much a trail bike for the ex DJ/Street rider. Shorter stays, bit higher than usual BB possibly. I didn't consider 3" tires cause that takes me back to the Gazzaloddi(totally didn't spell that right) era and oh god what a ridiculous time. But hey, More options are cool with me. I thought about your comment on sliding vert dropouts, I have a decent idea of how to do it well (I think) but still not sure how I feel about it. I'd have to put some work into it. Internal routing isn't hard to do in theory but it would be more calculations for stress intensity and fracture stuff.

You like threaded BB just cause of simplicity? I've been a fan of press in BBs since my jump days but on a trail bike I can see it going to shit and getting creaky real quick. Is that the biggest problem with it?

Boost makes sense to me, I like sturdy stuff. Also easier making it too big and then options to bring it to normal standards if necessary. It really doesn't change much of the design process when you're starting from the ground up but I like the idea of it.

I talked with one of my profs today for a minute or two about bikes and mentioned the SWAT system. That thing is bonkers to me but pretty damn awesome. Would probably be real hard to implement into a non-carbon frame but I can dream right? We're supposed to talk bikes sometime soon so I'm sure he'll have some feedback for me.

Being in the prairies you pretty much the perfect commuter for around here. I was winter commuting to school for awhile this year on my cross bike, it sucked when winter came around. big studded tires sound key, belt drive is totally possible. After years and years of installing the shittiest shit fenders on every bike having something easy and built in sounds amazing. I have a friend who designed the battery system for the electric racecar at school, we could probably do something electric if we really wanted to... Options are good.

GoPro integrated stem sounds like a money maker... I really like this idea.

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 23:00 Quote
t3rry wrote:
or go build a dj bike. Fewer and fewer companies are making a solid dj bike these days. I've been keeping my eyes out for a new one as my flow frame is somewhere between 9 and 11 years old (was a warranty replacement), but really none of the companies I want to buy from even make dj's anymore. It makes me sad that many of the big companies are just pushing out 27.5 and 29 enduro type bikes and ignoring other markets.

Partymaster seems like a pretty cool frame! Built by an ex-Dobermann employee (Altruiste Bikes). I would want to build a jump bike at some point, but I just don't do it anymore unfortunately so its not high on the list for me.

That being said it would give me a reason to build up another dj bike and get into it... Ah, who knows what I'll do. Maybe one day!

Yeah two comments in a row, I doubt anybody here cares though!

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 5:54 Quote
Two comments in a row, that's like seven months worth of activity for this thread. Pack it up guys, see you in 2017.

Side note - sliding drops let you handle just about every axle and wheel size.

Edit, been looking at getting a custom titanium DJ frame.

Posted: Mar 4, 2016 at 7:11 Quote
zwak wrote:
Lets combine powers and take over the bike world
I'm down.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023857
Mobile Version of Website