Old School Politics

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old School Politics
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 at 6:54 Quote
t3rry wrote:
Everyone at work is buying into cannabis stocks. Over the past month they have already made a shitload of money. Some of them almost quadrupling their investment. I’d invest if I had anything to spare.
Yup, I am doing well with the dope stocks. Aurora is my meal ticket. LOL.

Mod
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
recklessness wrote:
t3rry wrote:
Everyone at work is buying into cannabis stocks. Over the past month they have already made a shitload of money. Some of them almost quadrupling their investment. I’d invest if I had anything to spare.

And so glad I didn’t. Everyone is now in the dumps because they didn’t sell when it was high.. haha

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 1:20 Quote
So now that we're all stuck inside I guess it's time we resurrect this thread right?

Hope everyone is good. I'm going crazy, stuck inside working from home with two kids under 4. Give me strength.

Can't even get out and ride, we're only allowed to exercise 'from our front door' so the MTB has donned some 45c gravel tyres...

How's everyone else coping?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
t3rry wrote:
recklessness wrote:
t3rry wrote:

And so glad I didn’t. Everyone is now in the dumps because they didn’t sell when it was high.. haha
I sold when we were both high. Smile

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
timlake wrote:
So now that we're all stuck inside I guess it's time we resurrect this thread right?

Hope everyone is good. I'm going crazy, stuck inside working from home with two kids under 4. Give me strength.

Can't even get out and ride, we're only allowed to exercise 'from our front door' so the MTB has donned some 45c gravel tyres...

Still going to work and signing for packages and dealing with the general public. Essential business gang. Just trying not to think too hard about the risks.

I am in a fairly fortunate position in that both my roommates ride, so on the rare dry days off, we can go ride together without increasing anybody's risk of infection.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
I'm working from home, TAing a class remotely while the professor lectures (it's straight BS, but $$$), plus doing my own studies at the same time. CR- Shout out to the homie Jakob.
I'm fortunate to live 100m from the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, so I can hop on the road bike and ride around the canal by myself. Only problem are the hoards of people out. It's either get my wheel eaten by a pothole and get hit by a car or contract corona from morons walking. Win win all around.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 5:51 Quote
crs-one wrote:
timlake wrote:

Still going to work and signing for packages and dealing with the general public. Essential business gang. Just trying not to think too hard about the risks.

I am in a fairly fortunate position in that both my roommates ride, so on the rare dry days off, we can go ride together without increasing anybody's risk of infection.
This is definitely a good time to be in the sticks. I can go several days without seeing another person (other than the wife). Cleaning up Goat Path and will be spending lots of time there.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 12:07 Quote
Not currently working and life is ass. Don't have an mtb and can't afford one for a while. Arg 2020. At least I have the gravel whip.

Glad y'all are keeping it going!

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
New Zealand is proper locked down, so
I’m sitting on my damn couch.

Finally left the bike business and started an apprenticeship as a heavy duty diesel mechanic for Caterpillar here. See how it goes, once this opens up.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 17:07 Quote
bonfire wrote:
New Zealand is proper locked down, so
I’m sitting on my damn couch.

Finally left the bike business and started an apprenticeship as a heavy duty diesel mechanic for Caterpillar here. See how it goes, once this opens up.

That's awesome! I left my job as an industrial to get a degree in outdoor recreation so I could work more in the outdoor (bike ski, etc) industry, starting to think that wasn't a great idea as a mechanic seems considerably more essential.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
Spent 15 years in and around the outdoor and tourism industry, long enough for me haha.

I want to buy a house, or just have useful disposable income, getting deals on bikes or experiences in return for low wage or influencing customers doesn’t do it for me anymore. Just want the ability to walk into a shop and buy shit at full price because I can and want to buy what I want.

New career seems useful, opportunity to travel and they pay. Pay me well, paying for my schooling. Do what they can to attract staff and invest in staff. Lots of room in the field to grow either into more skilled mechanics or into the office.

Do a little moonlighting at a friends repair only shop, for some of my customers that I’ve worked with over the years here. Also doing a little “consulting” for his shop and another I used to work for on their business. Which I’m really enjoying.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Spent 15 years in and around the outdoor and tourism industry, long enough for me haha.

I want to buy a house, or just have useful disposable income, getting deals on bikes or experiences in return for low wage or influencing customers doesn’t do it for me anymore. Just want the ability to walk into a shop and buy shit at full price because I can and want to buy what I want.

New career seems useful, opportunity to travel and they pay. Pay me well, paying for my schooling. Do what they can to attract staff and invest in staff. Lots of room in the field to grow either into more skilled mechanics or into the office.

Do a little moonlighting at a friends repair only shop, for some of my customers that I’ve worked with over the years here. Also doing a little “consulting” for his shop and another I used to work for on their business. Which I’m really enjoying.

I've started to wonder more about diesel/farm equipment, the experience that I'd get in that space compared to working hard days (and nights) building some piece of junk paint booth that is just a case of "build it as fast as you can and keep your mouth shut". Farm equipment service seems more fulfilling and a wider variety of challenges.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
Yeah I mean that’s sort of what got me into the the trade. Diesel powers the world, cool to see the endless applications between equipment and machines that use the engine for power.

Power generation, quarry’s, dump, forestry, road building, etc. Super cool so far getting to go to a bunch of sites and learn about those processes. It’s also feels good when the customer calls you to fix their shit, and they need it fixed because it’s important. Not some bitchy customer who needs their bike fixed now because there’s a group ride in an hour.

Posted: Apr 12, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
One of my instructors on my apprenticeship said "the world runs on bearings" he's right anything that spins is technically running on some sort of bearing tech, even the squeaky fan in the bathroom. Though diesel could very easily be added to that list.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017632
Mobile Version of Website