Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
Green eyez means lazer fast.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 13:27 Quote
Someone was asking about the Bacon run at Valemount. It goes from about 1:50 to 7:30 here. Not the best angle on the camera, but you'll get the idea. I can find a better one if you like, but it'll be with the younger kid so a bit slower. tup You can ignore the last couple minutes when I forgot to turn the camera off. A conversation between the wife, the kids and the shuttle driver about Turducken. lol

Views: 73    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
samael wrote:
Someone was asking about the Bacon run at Valemount. It goes from about 1:50 to 7:30 here. Not the best angle on the camera, but you'll get the idea. I can find a better one if you like, but it'll be with the younger kid so a bit slower. tup You can ignore the last couple minutes when I forgot to turn the camera off. A conversation between the wife, the kids and the shuttle driver about Turducken. lol

What's the trail with with the natural features such as the log drop? I had it mixed up with bacon.

I ended up throwing top of the world together with lightworks. Decent program for being free.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
samael wrote:

Views: 73    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Trails in the video look pretty smooth, flowy and jumpy. That's fine but are there ones with the roots and chunder left in as well?
If I was to drive all the way up there I would like a good mix. Otherwise Revy it is.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 16:34 Quote
t3rry wrote:
samael wrote:

What's the trail with with the natural features such as the log drop? I had it mixed up with bacon.

I ended up throwing top of the world together with lightworks. Decent program for being free.

I didn't see any log drops. If you're talking a run that really needs a full DH bike, probably Andreas. Starts at the same drop off as Tinfoil Hat and goes over to a XC pedal-out back to the parking area. We didn't do that one, don't think the kids are ready for it. There is a couple larger drops on Tinfoil Hat, but they're all rock or ledge drops I believe.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 16:43 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Trails in the video look pretty smooth, flowy and jumpy. That's fine but are there ones with the roots and chunder left in as well?
If I was to drive all the way up there I would like a good mix. Otherwise Revy it is.

Tinfoil Hat is a little more rocky and rooty with multiple lines over/around features for different skill levels (Check the last ~4min of Jeremy's vid). Andreas is supposedly full on fall line so probably more what you're after (We didn't ride it). There is a lot of focus on speed and flow in this park though. If you're after more oldschool DH you might be disappointed.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 17:09 Quote
samael wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Tinfoil Hat is a little more rocky and rooty with multiple lines over/around features for different skill levels (Check the last ~4min of Jeremy's vid). Andreas is supposedly full on fall line so probably more what you're after (We didn't ride it). There is a lot of focus on speed and flow in this park though. If you're after more oldschool DH you might be disappointed.

Not old school DH. New school DH with a good mix of flow and chunder. Think Double Dog or Flow at Sliver Star. Good mix of both in one trail. Sounds like Tinfoil Hat and Andreas may fit the bill.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 20:48 Quote
interesting perspective. hard to ignore their points. gate it 4up if it's gonna be an oversized bmx track. 4x tracks actually look rougher than this track and their man-made. if a ht ride in protest actually happens that says a lot. the uci probably doesn't really care about dh racing.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 21:30 Quote
I Woudl be VERY Happy to see a stand alone DH race system. No more world cup instea dyou would have a 10 to 16 race season on rider elected tracks... Sort of like EWS but for DH bikes...

f*ck me running that track is a joke.

Posted: Jun 9, 2017 at 21:51 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
Use CO2 cylnder. Also in seat pack or pocket. I have never used, but it's small.

I mostly ride alone. I work all the time. My shedule sucks. As I am a representative of the bike industry, people like to complain to me about their bike parts that are shitty. I went on a ride with about 20 people last weekend. It was an angry mob. The problem was the Eagle drive train. Everyone pretty much had new bikes with SRAM Eagle on them. And everybody absolutely hates it. We stopped dozens of times to fix broken chains, bent cogs, broken derailleurs.

Do any of you have SRAM Eagle? Do you call it the seagull, or the shitgle now that you've tried it? Can you finish a whole ride on it? If you do have it, do you have boost spacing on you're bike? Boost almost makes it work, but it needs still more boost to have a good chain line. I do not know. I have shimano on my bike, so this is not my opinion, just what I hear from those who have the Eagle.

Pinkbike says it's good. A little hard to shift onto the biggest cog. That is all.

I have a few hundred km on my eagle set up - X0 R/D, Chain and cassette with OneUp Switch carrier on X0 cranks - all boost on SC Tallboy frame and the ring is a 30T Oval. We have 3 set ups like this - only difference is front rings and all have been going really strong since the winter, including races and absolutely shitty days. Were most of these bikes older and the riders upgraded to Eagle?

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 7:15 Quote
All of these are brand new bikes. Probably a dozen of those people are sponsored pros. I also rode a bike around the parking lot with eagle yesterday. It felt OK but the chain did rub on the tire in the biggest 2 cogs. It was a brand new this year model SC Hightower. The owner has had it for a week. He already broke the rims and has new rims on it. He got narrower rims. So the chain rub must have been worse before.

I will not buy a bike with 11 or 12 speed unless it has boost. And I am one of the few and far between who is hoping for boost plus to take off.

I have also been asked to make press fit BB shells for frame builders, and I have learned why press fit is such a problem for some people.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:

hope the whambulance is onsite to pick these guys up..... Funny to hear them complain about UCI changing courses for tv for more money when they are standing in front of a 100k race trailer in the pits.

I agree with Ajax, maybe there needs to be a new series organized by the riders. Then they will see how much work it s to put on a race of that caliber.

I think UCI wants around 100k up front to host a w/c, Not many resorts are going to put up that kind of cash.

The course is what it is, same for everyone so shut up and race.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 7:54 Quote
That's their job. They chose to do it and have the skills to pay the bills. I have a job. I would rather be riding my bike, but I get paid to do this other thing. And if money didn't count, I'd be riding. Not doing the other thing.

So. There are 6 or 7 uci races in the year. Say 4 or 5 of the courses suck for the riders. 4 or 5 weekends of riding a distasteful track. The rest of the year you maybe can choose more fun stuff to train on. And then there's the weekends and before and after training (what we call before and after work) where you can ride whatever you want, just for fun. Just like the rest of us.

BUT. I just realized, that pre riding a course, doing one lap on a hard tail, might be a really good idea. You get one slower run, where you feel the course far more accurately than you would on your squishy bike. Imagine doing a few runs on a hard tail, to learn the track, and then doing the rest of practice on the regular bike. It might give some insight or advantage. You never know.

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
I don't really watch it anymore because of the lack of spreads and lines. The safety aspect they where talking about is something I have heard mirrored on this forum, the dumbing it down for corporate interests/insurance or whatever I have seen people from this forum get raked over the coals on the frontpage for voicing.

I think if the riders want a race based on skill I am totally all for it. The fact they are going to take hardtails down a WC track says that the race is shit and we should a little pissed that some corporate suit has hijacked a lot of this sport from us. I have been on my bike a total of 5/6 times this year and besides being busy a lot of it is I am afraid to break it because I'm not sure I can afford parts for it anymore.

/rantover /orwhiningoverifthatswhatyourwanttocallit

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035507
Mobile Version of Website