Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
d-man wrote:
loopie wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Building commuter bike to ride 35 k each way twice a week... Why am I doing this to myself.

Adding any electric assist?

I would, have been riding my buddies e fat bike for trail work lately and it's the ticket.

fredro wrote:
Get out.

Haha....

Commuting...100% for
Trail Work... 100% for
Self Shuttle... still thinkin' on it, but about 75% for

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
I Want a trek super commutor. But they are not legal here YET

I'm going to get a Raleigh Clubman disc, install force 11 speed groupset with some half bling carbon wheels and roll about on that.

You think that Trek would be a total heat score? I bet it would fly under the radar.
Can't get it through customs easily. I could buy one in the USA (without staff purchase) remove the drive unit and associated sensors / electronics then bring it over the boarder to install a bosch system that is legal in canada. Biggest issue is power output and max speed exceed what is written into canadian law which is the whole reason I would want one.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:53 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I'm going to get a Raleigh Clubman disc, install force 11 speed groupset with some half bling carbon wheels and roll about on that.

You think that Trek would be a total heat score? I bet it would fly under the radar.
Can't get it through customs easily. I could buy one in the USA (without staff purchase) remove the drive unit and associated sensors / electronics then bring it over the boarder to install a bosch system that is legal in canada. Biggest issue is power output and max speed exceed what is written into canadian law which is the whole reason I would want one.

Looks like a great way to commute.

My current setup (and for the next couple of months) is driving from Cochrane to a park and ride lot near Edworthy, dragging the trailer all the way into work, picking up my son from daycare using the now full trailer, and getting back to the car. With a crosswind it can make for a long-ass day and there would be places to recharge in the parkade at work.

An e-bike would fix all my issues. Issues, mostly being me pedalling at that time of the morning.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:

My current setup (and for the next couple of months) is driving from Cochrane to a park and ride lot near Edworthy, dragging the trailer all the way into work, picking up my son from daycare using the now full trailer, and getting back to the car. With a crosswind it can make for a long-ass day and there would be places to recharge in the parkade at work.

An e-bike would fix all my issues. Issues, mostly being me pedalling at that time of the morning.
You're in Cochrane? Shittteee ill be riding from my place in sunset to the shop. Hoping to do every Tuesday and Thursday.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

You're in Cochrane? Shittteee ill be riding from my place in sunset to the shop. Hoping to do every Tuesday and Thursday.

Just moved one week ago. Hoping to not do that again for a while.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

IMO, cuz I'm not speaking from experience, but I have been doing a fair bit of research on this lately......Once you're on the road...the laws are practically unenforceable if you've met the basic visual checks that a Cop can do. The current laws WILL change...but mostly to control the use of what are essentially electric motorcycles/trikes/scooters that have had a pair of pedalable cranks slapped on....or the use of removable pedals(not legal)
As I understand it thus far....

Needs a 350w sticker on the motor. Fine. Get quality stuff and you can dump a 1000w thru it for short to med boosts. As a matter of fact...not hard to find motors that are underrated and stamped for the very purpose of circumventing the 250-350w import laws here and around the world for example.

No law against an onroad/offroad switch...Onroad = 350w mode. Offroad = unlimited. Cop can't prove what mode you were in.

32km speed limit...on almost motor only. Cop can't prove how much leg assist you're giving the motor to go, say, 50kmhr.

I can see alot of people missing one step that is easily checked by a Cop...motor can't engage under 3kmhr or something and the cranks have to be moving for the motor to work.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 14:26 Quote
loopie wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:

IMO, cuz I'm not speaking from experience, but I have been doing a fair bit of research on this lately......Once you're on the road...the laws are practically unenforceable if you've met the basic visual checks that a Cop can do. The current laws WILL change...but mostly to control the use of what are essentially electric motorcycles/trikes/scooters that have had a pair of pedalable cranks slapped on....or the use of removable pedals(not legal)
As I understand it thus far....

Needs a 350w sticker on the motor. Fine. Get quality stuff and you can dump a 1000w thru it for short to med boosts. As a matter of fact...not hard to find motors that are underrated and stamped for the very purpose of circumventing the 250-350w import laws here and around the world for example.

No law against an onroad/offroad switch...Onroad = 350w mode. Offroad = unlimited. Cop can't prove what mode you were in.

32km speed limit...on almost motor only. Cop can't prove how much leg assist you're giving the motor to go, say, 50kmhr.

I can see alot of people missing one step that is easily checked by a Cop...motor can't engage under 3kmhr or something and the cranks have to be moving for the motor to work.
Customs is the problem once I had a bike here theres nothing that can be done about it.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 14:28 Quote
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:

Here you go. Use the tool below to commute to work everyday without sweating your ass off and needing to shower once there. Then use it to commute/shuttle 10km up a FSR on the weekend. No pickup truck needed. Future of shuttling?

Silver Star is minty fresh. Riding was excellent two days in a row. Giving my back a rest today. Have to get my chairlift tolerance up.

Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay e-MTB First Ride

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 14:45 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Customs is the problem once I had a bike here theres nothing that can be done about it.

The affordable fully street legal, pull it out of a box and go bikes are shit. Gotta go the DIY slap&tickle route.

You're not considering throwing a kit on something like the Rayleigh? It'd be better than anything you can buy at the same total price point.
Anyways.....

Yeah Shred.....it IS the future. There's no stopping it as far as I can see.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
loopie wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

The affordable fully street legal, pull it out of a box and go bikes are shit. Gotta go the DIY slap&tickle route.

You're not considering throwing a kit on something like the Rayleigh? It'd be better than anything you can buy at the same total price point.
Anyways.....

Yeah Shred.....it IS the future. There's no stopping it as far as I can see.
I would rather a Bosch bike over a bionx set up for so many reasons

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Here you go. Used the tool below to commute to work everyday without sweating your ass off and needing to shower once there. Then use it to commute/shuttle 10km up a FSR on the weekend. No pickup truck needed. Future of shuttling?

Silver Star is minty fresh. Riding was excellent two days in a row. Giving my back a rest today. Have to get my chairlift tolerance up.

Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay e-MTB First Ride

good grief.

You guys seriously think a few extra lbs strapped to your BB is going to make for a playful, poppy and shreddy bike?

Drunks, all of you.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:16 Quote
My son is 19months old. reading books or walking around, the kid can differentiate, Bicycle vs Motorcycle 100% of the time.

yesterday, a lady rides past our house on an e-bike. The kid calls out 'motorcycle'.

And there you have it. out of the mouths of babes.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:23 Quote
All are motorized cycles, indeed.

I've had 3 DH bikes in the 45-50lb range back in the day....totally a blast...as long as pointed down zee hill....lol

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:27 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
My son is 19months old. reading books or walking around, the kid can differentiate, Bicycle vs Motorcycle 100% of the time.

yesterday, a lady rides past our house on an e-bike. The kid calls out 'motorcycle'.

And there you have it. out of the mouths of babes.

Hah! I would prefer old school pedal bikes for trails, but commuting would be alright on an e bike. A little more pedal assist would be welcome there.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 15:51 Quote
loopie wrote:
All are motorized cycles, indeed.

I've had 3 DH bikes in the 45-50lb range back in the day....totally a blast...as long as pointed down zee hill....lol

True, I was just laying into shred the other day about him complaining about how a 36lb DH bike was too heavy (for him).

I just don't see how all that mass, near the BB on a shorter travel bike is going to make for good times downhills.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.073221
Mobile Version of Website