Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:12 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
urinalmint wrote:
I'll cut the Vernon folks a bit of slack because I've never had a problem there at all. Also, it was a Sunday as well as Father's Day so pretty damn busy. But still, when pull off the trail for three uphill riders and they all go by without saying a word and won't even make eye contact, that's a douche move in any town. .

Such a dick move. Those douche canoes give everyone a bad name. Probably the reason horse lady is so sour.

Yep, there’s always people out there more concerned with f-n Strava times than just saying a quick hello. I have never Strava-ed-edd-ed a ride. Not even once. It’s not why I’m out there but to each their own.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
positive note...

there are awesome people in the world... lots of awesome people.

I had some trailer trouble in the Panorama camping lot this past weekend. A fella named Mike from Kamploops and another guy named Jack from Lacombe helped me troubleshoot for five hours until after 10pm to make sure I'd be able to get going in the morning. I woulda been totally screwed if they hadn't been so kind. Always seems that in times of need there's some super wonderful folks that keep the world turning.

Good vibes to all Salute
Was that your big triple axle toyhauler? We camped out Saturday night in my buddies trailer.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:18 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:
urinalmint wrote:
I'll cut the Vernon folks a bit of slack because I've never had a problem there at all. Also, it was a Sunday as well as Father's Day so pretty damn busy. But still, when pull off the trail for three uphill riders and they all go by without saying a word and won't even make eye contact, that's a douche move in any town. .

Such a dick move. Those douche canoes give everyone a bad name. Probably the reason horse lady is so sour.

Yep, there’s always people out there more concerned with f-n Strava times than just saying a quick hello. I have never Strava-ed-edd-ed a ride. Not even once. It’s not why I’m out there but to each their own.
I'm a strava guy but if there are people on trail I always say hi and if they look lost I stop and make sure they are ok. I'm not always in race mode either, I like to log my kms and vert.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
d-man wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:

I'm a strava guy but if there are people on trail I always say hi and if they look lost I stop and make sure they are ok. I'm not always in race mode either, I like to log my kms and vert.
I’m a Strava guy too, but not to the point that I can’t acknowledge other users on the trail. I’m the same, like to know how many rides, how long and my vert. 30th ride last night. Slow year.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:45 Quote
d-man wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:
positive note...

there are awesome people in the world... lots of awesome people.

I had some trailer trouble in the Panorama camping lot this past weekend. A fella named Mike from Kamploops and another guy named Jack from Lacombe helped me troubleshoot for five hours until after 10pm to make sure I'd be able to get going in the morning. I woulda been totally screwed if they hadn't been so kind. Always seems that in times of need there's some super wonderful folks that keep the world turning.

Good vibes to all Salute
Was that your big triple axle toyhauler? We camped out Saturday night in my buddies trailer.

Nah the triple was the guy from lacombe that was a huge huge help... Incredibly nice guy! Owner of machine shop with 70 staff, but you'd never know it (other than his huge beautiful rig)... he had all the time in the world and just wanted to help. His son was racing in 21-29. Hopefully we can pay it forward some day Redface

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:46 Quote
I use Strava too but like the rest of you its more for logging my efforts and comparing to my own efforts. There is a pretty cool plugin for chrome called Stravistix that adds a lot more info if your into that sort of thing.

I always say high when passing people up or down. I also havent had any trail conflicts here but others have but usually it comes down to the 1% in any sport. They are going to be a*sholes regardless of where they are or what they are doing so best just to try and ignore them and move on.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
no stat tracking for me... regardless of the outdoor adventure it's always been about the experience not the metrics... life is full of pressures, I figure why measure myself at times that are intended as recreation/leisure... that, and to Mr. Nicholson i would say "you are correct sir. i cannot handle the truth"

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
husstler wrote:
jamezyo wrote:
SILVERSTAR!!!!!!!
Come for a lap honky!!!!!

I'm there specifically for Beowulf but I'm sure we can slide in a lap or two!

Ugggh, Beowulf.
All I’ll say is everyone should do it once. Make sure you bring lots of WATER and some snacks to eat. It’s a loooooong hour and a 1/2 to 2 hours climb back up to the village once you get down to the bottom. The decent is good but the climb out ruins all the fun I just had. For me anyway. It’s a backwards trail from what I like. I want my grinding at the beginning and payoff at the end. Not the other way around. That said they were working with the area available so it is what it is. I’m just not that much into XC climbing. I did it once, I’m good until they put trails on the backside and open the back chair to get the hell out of there. Lol

But, I like climbing. There, I said it. It's the payoff for the work, when I get to the top of the hill that does it for me.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
So, this strava thing tracks you as you go? How does it work in areas with no phone or satellite reception?

I was looking at one of those spot emergency dealios a few years back, but it works on satellite and that is very spotty where I ride and ski.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
no phone receptions is fine but you do require a satellite connection. I haven't run into to many places that this is an issue. I used to run it off my phone but I have a "Watch" that I use now.

The one spot or the inreach are supposed to be the best for back country communication. Since they send small bits of information they dont need a constant connection to satellite like a sat phone. If a handheld gps works an inreach should work.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:50 Quote
I have an inreach for backcountry communication with the world and it has worked great. Send or receive texts from anywhere, If you can see sky it will work.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
d-man wrote:
I have an inreach for backcountry communication with the world and it has worked great. Send or receive texts from anywhere, If you can see sky it will work.

Garmin?

Edit, just looked up .. obligatory kit for me if I was 'out there' & safety/comms

Which you guys clearly are

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
+1 for InReach for backcountry comms.

For Strava shit though, the high precision GPS on Garmin's usually works fine.

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 14:38 Quote
I have been happy with my Suunto Spartan Trainer it has a built in heart rate monitor, the gps is accurate, and it works for open water/pool swimming. Best bang for your buck training watch. I also don't have to fiddle with a chest strap the LED heart rate monitor is accurate enough for me.

Posted: Jun 19, 2018 at 17:15 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
loopie wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Camels have sweet lips

On way to work. I look up later. Should be fun.
Razz

Wait. Lip...not toe. Check. I'll get to the bottom of it!

For foraging loopie... mind out of gutterz....

Not in gutter.....it's a fight move

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.096777
Mobile Version of Website