Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 6:15 Quote
Shred go try a process 15329..... feels way more than 150 travel.... such a fun bike. Key word... fun

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 7:45 Quote
That's interesting. I guess I'm kinda still hung up on the theory that 27.5 would be more "playful" than the 29er. But having said that, I haven't rode a properly designed 29er yet.

The YT Carbon Pro is a good deal at 5 grand and claimed to be around 34 lbs. That's apparently for a size small so call it 35 lbs for a large. I wonder how long before that's offered in a 29?

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:18 Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. However It has to be a full 180/180mm 29er parkduro bike to get my attention or an aluminum 29er DH bike that weighs 36 lbs or less. No bikes with less travel that “feel” like more travel with the big wheel. If not I’ll just keep riding the 170/165mm I have. We’ll see what’s released come spring. Unfortunately I feel like I may have to compromise on a 170/170mm 29er because bike making man serms scared to go over that on a 29er enduro bike. Might loose some precious seconds when peddling it uphill if they go longer. Seconds I don’t care about.

Like I said the Pole Stamina would be perfect if the frame alone wasn’t over $5000 CAD. I’d be fine with a SA around 77-78 degrees too. 80 degrees is just nuts.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:23 Quote
80deg? penny farthings geo?

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:29 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
That's interesting. I guess I'm kinda still hung up on the theory that 27.5 would be more "playful" than the 29er. But having said that, I haven't rode a properly designed 29er yet.

The YT Carbon Pro is a good deal at 5 grand and claimed to be around 34 lbs. That's apparently for a size small so call it 35 lbs for a large. I wonder how long before that's offered in a 29?

That’s kind of what I’m hoping they have in the works for February 2019 but they go full balls out 180/180mm.
The other problem is I always like to buy a frame only and build to my spec. I don’t think YT sells frame only. If they did I’m sure I could build a large at 34lbs with simple upgrades like using X01 instead of GX and some carbon bits.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:31 Quote
fullbug wrote:

Yeah it’s crazy. Talk about being in the front of the bike. I don’t know, maybe I’d like it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:37 Quote
I suppose for me it makes sense as I’ll only have one squishy bike for everything including park days....

Minty heres what happened to me going from a patrol 27.5 to the process 9’r

Patrol never felt right out back too soft and dead or too poppy and uncontrollable... felt good enough but something was never right. But that bike was fun to get in the air on... also felt a little stittish in the frame strength dept.

29’r I took out for a demo cause I had sold both bikes to build a honzo. That got held up over seas... first impression was its burly.... and then it peddled way better, descended way better, felt perfect out back with little adjusting and was just as if not more lively going down the jumpy stuff.. there is a trail with multiple gaps I typically steered clear of about half of them. They just never felt like I was going to pull it.... kona, first run effortlessly cleared everything. Just knew I was carrying enough speed and it felt right.... that feeling has not left.

29’r long travel is the shiznitz. And imo kona pretty much nailed it for fun with the short stays and long reach.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
fullbug wrote:

Yeah it’s crazy. Talk about being in the front of the bike. I don’t know, maybe I’d like it.

i've always wanted a boneshaker, but the hipsters killed the dream.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:46 Quote
You all is fussy... based on the size, weight, squish requirements you all have I think it's only fair that you all post pics of your wives lol lol lol

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:53 Quote
[Quote="sterlingmagnum"]I suppose for me it makes sense as I’ll only have one squishy bike for everything including park.

I agree Sterling. If I had to do a one bike for all it would be a 29er in the 145-160mm area. Fortunately the lady of the woods understands MTB is my thing and I can run a small fleet of 3 bikes. Alows me to get very specific with each tool for a job.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:02 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
You all is fussy... based on the size, weight, squish requirements you all have I think it's only fair that you all post pics of your wives lol lol lol

When MTB man is asking me to pay out $6000+ for a good spec’d bike he can build me excatly what I want.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:17 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:

Ppbbbbfffft I’m easy under 3 K and I’m all set lol

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:22 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
fullbug wrote:

Thatz inching towards moto position. I’d imagine the reach and front/center grows then it’s fork offset tweaks. the bb/pedaling position is basically at tri bike angles. Fresher quads for the run ups? Lol.

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:

I've been thinking about trying online dating - kinda crude, but maybe "long, slack, 29 inch diameter, takes 180mm front/rear" is what I should spec for my ideal match...

(P.S. you probably already worked it out but I'm the guy that commented on your Instagram photo the other day that you thought you should know who they were but didn't Wink )

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
urinalmint wrote:
I ride everything on my 160/155 Patrol that I used to ride on my DH bikes but now I can climb up instead of shuttling. I don’t miss having a big sled at all in PG. It’s a different story in the bike park though. Which is why I’ll be building up something this winter. Aluminum, beefy and possibly single speed. But I’m super impressed with the new “enduro” type rigs. So much fun to ride.

I'm not completely against a full on aluminum 29er DH bike for the park. Problem is ones like the Devinci Wilson 29 are 38-40 pounds. Eek
Fu*k that, not acceptable. Get that thing down around 35-36 and we'll talk.

That's why long travel enduro it is. I want this type 180/180mm ride below ... but... with 29 wheels. They have a carbon 29er that's 170/170mm. Kind of hoping they offer an aluminum one come February but surely they will chicken out and stick with 170mm for the 29er. So far Pole (Stamina) is the only company not scared to go 29er and full 180mm parkduro. I'm hoping some else says hold my beer and makes it happen soon. I'm watching and waiting.

Might even put a 180mm MRP Bartlett on it if the weight stays less than 36lbs. Braaaaaap!

photo

Why do you care about a couple extra LBS on a DH bike?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.086476
Mobile Version of Website