Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: May 15, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
..... what flavor you fancy?

Red

Which reminds me of a clip from that Northern nominated vid on front pg...
"How long did it take you to get here?"
"7 flights"

I will stab you with a rusty crank arm. THAT MEANS NOTHING!
lol....find a happy place...find a happy place....

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
Hmmmm.

Sell my bike all matchy matchy with the slightly lower end parts or sell it with the higher end parts. What do you guys think?

It's super matchy matchy with the black/red stuff and looks sick. But I think it'll cost me like $500 or more in resale value to do that.

Here's the current build... trying to figure out cost.

2018 Trek Remedy. Black and Red. Large
RaceFace Next R Bars. Grippler Grips.
RaceFace Next R Stem.
RaceFace Next R Cranks.
RaceFace Next R Wheels.
TRP Brakes
Deity Saddle
Shimano XT Cassette.
Shimano XTR Shifter and Derailleur.

Suspension
Option 1:
Black Raceface Turbine Dropper
RS RE:ACTIV Shock
Marzocchi Z1 with Red Lower

Option 2:
FOX Factory Transfer
Factory 36 Grip2 Fork.
Factory DPX2

Just put my Transfer Dropper back on but that's easy enough to pull. Need to rebuild my Grip2 Fork but that's easy too. It's just dry for storage right now. Might do a lower swap on it.

I'm actually just starting to really enjoy the damned thing but I'm getting pressured into buying an e-bike. And I can't do that without selling this. Probably buy an e-bike and maybe build a chameleon.

Was thinking asking $4200 with all the FOX stuff. $3600 with the Marzocchi/Raceface stuff. It's pretty low miles as I was down with a broken hand the first year I had it. Got like 6 rides on it in the last month but not much beyond that. And it's perfectly maintained.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 14:18 Quote
How does one get pressured into e bike purchase? Just curious as round these parts its still a hot topic full of polarizing opinion...

As far as price.... just see whats out there thats close in comparison and either price to sell or shoot for the moon if your not in a hurry.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
How does one get pressured into e bike purchase? Just curious as round these parts its still a hot topic full of polarizing opinion...

As far as price.... just see whats out there thats close in comparison and either price to sell or shoot for the moon if your not in a hurry.

I won't need any pressuring to buy an ebike, just the funds. Now that our government agency has a specific ebike policy I'm closer to the purchase. If the agency banned ebike use it would have been a no purchase.

Sale pricing is tough but i agree it depends on your timing.

Man I want chips now...

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 16:01 Quote
No ketchup, no sour cream onion, no dill pickle... everything else goes in my tummy ASAP

We’re products of our environment... in France and Italy it seemed like everyone was on ebikes so if I lived there I’d probably have one. Here I’d have to explain why I have one so I don’t. Simplezzzzz

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 16:10 Quote
d-man wrote:
Now that our government agency has a specific ebike policy .

I assume you're referring to something other than the ICBC rules?
Link or specific search term?
Thx

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
There was a Parks bc ruling I don’t think it affects many trails outside of bc parks bike paths.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2019FLNR0090-000772

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

All 4 dudes I work with are getting them. Basically they know if I don't get one I won't be able to hang with them on lunch rides. I'm trying to figure it out.

I'm thinking I'll sell my grinder and build a Chameleon or some other 27.5 hard tail. I want something I can pedal with the kids and still hit the pump track with.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:25 Quote
Gotcha ...Ebike squishy with a hardtail sounds like a solid plan

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:29 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

If they can get those ebikes to that sub 40lb mark and in the $5000-6000 price, I’d be dropping my money on the counter.
If it means I could rock a 40km ride in the time it would take to do a 25km rip, why wouldn’t you?

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
Check out a chromag stylus too... thats a sweet jumpy trail all around ht

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 18:12 Quote
Exactly all I've been saying since day1 of eBike potential (especially for Canada anyways...with so few trail access issues)
50-100% longer loops? yes please.
Take the edge off or completely eliminate gravel road grinds for typical shuttle trails? yes please

My rough calculations...I'm allowing for 6-7lbs of motor&battery...added to either a 39/40lb DH bike or a 30lb trail bike
For shuttling....smaller, swap-able batteries would save weight on the bike (you only need enough battery to get to the top once, swap out at the bottom)
...and ~ $5000can price point

mtbman1980 wrote:
There was a Parks bc ruling I don’t think it affects many trails outside of bc parks bike paths.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2019FLNR0090-000772

Thx...will check links

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 0:26 Quote
harperrider wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

If they can get those ebikes to that sub 40lb mark and in the $5000-6000 price, I’d be dropping my money on the counter.
If it means I could rock a 40km ride in the time it would take to do a 25km rip, why wouldn’t you?

This^
Weight and price have to go down.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 5:21 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

All 4 dudes I work with are getting them. Basically they know if I don't get one I won't be able to hang with them on lunch rides. I'm trying to figure it out.

I'm thinking I'll sell my grinder and build a Chameleon or some other 27.5 hard tail. I want something I can pedal with the kids and still hit the pump track with.

e-bikes are fun.

think about doubling or tripling the distance you can do on a regular ride. At the same time there is no more excuse for not getting to the top of a climb at the same time as your friends so it is cool. It's a great equalizer.
Actually the only excuse you can have is that an e-bike will at the same time make you climb stuff that you normally walk or it will expose and amplify your flaws in your technical riding (going up or down).
The used market is starting to have some good e-bikes for sale. I bought mine used a 2017 Trek Powerfly for $3500. I am changing brakes to 4 piston Codes and I put my favourite bars on it. As far as weight, it is still about 50 pounds for a 6 inch travel bike ( I modified the travel from the original 5 inch front and rear)

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:21 Quote
loopie wrote:
d-man wrote:
Now that our government agency has a specific ebike policy .

I assume you're referring to something other than the ICBC rules?
Link or specific search term?
Thx

Rec site and trails has an e bike policy, states 3 categories of bikes. Class one is pedal assist and they are accepted on any rec site trail managed trails.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034543
Mobile Version of Website